TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Hear my whispers in the dark..
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jen

Dogs helping with anxiety? - June 19th 2009, 10:57 PM

So, I suffer from PTSD, which causes me to have horrible nights. I hallucinate, get extremely anxious, and I'm usually up at least half the night scared to death.
My dog has helped me in the past, but about a year and a half ago he decided he didn't want to sleep in my bed with me anymore, and so now I have nothing to help me calm down. Before, he would help because he is our little watchdog, and he would bark if there was something wrong. So if I was seeing something or thought someone was in my room, I would know for sure based on my dogs behavior.
I can't even make him stay in my room anymore, because he pees on my floor.
So, I've been begging my parents for another dog. One that I can train to stay with me the whole night. My counselor even says that she thinks that it would help. I have 2 in mind (a boxer or a boston terrier), because they both seem like they would have the watchdog quality, but not be too crazy (we don't have room for a big dog, and also, my dog I have now is a chihuahua, so he needs someone he can get along with). My parents don't think it's necessary though, and say that we can't afford it. But the thing is, I have been suffering from this for almost 8 years, and it's getting worse. So why wouldn't they do everything they can to help? What are your thoughts on dogs helping to ease anxiety? And how can I make my parents see that this would help IMMENSLY?

Life isn't about worrying,
That's a waste of time.
And life isn't about being perfect,
It will never happen.
Life is about finding yourself,
And finding people who accept that person.

My PM box is always open!
  Send a message via AIM to thegirlnextdoor89 Send a message via Yahoo to thegirlnextdoor89  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Rosie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Dogs helping with anxiety? - June 21st 2009, 12:55 AM

I find animals in general, especially my horses and dogs, help me with depression and anxiety. I also have PTSD (but from the sounds of it not nearly as severe as yours) and my chihuahua x pomeranian sleeps in my room at night, which I find helpful.
Could you try to train your current dog to sleep in your room and not pee on the floor?
Or to convince your parents to get a new dog, maybe you could get your counsellor to talk to them and tell them how much it would help you. And for price, you could try and find someone who is giving away their dog rather than selling it, or get one cheaply from an animal shelter or the pound.

"But I know what it's like to want to die. How it hurts to smile. How you try to fit in but you can't, and how you hurt yourself on the outside... to try to kill the thing on the inside." [Girl Interrupted]

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Hear my whispers in the dark..
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jen

Re: Dogs helping with anxiety? - June 21st 2009, 01:00 AM

My dog never used to pee on my floor, so I have no idea how to get him to stop, because I don't know why he does it. He used to love sleeping in my room, but now he only likes to sleep on our couch. I think it's because I flop around alot in my sleep. I've given up on him being able to be in my room.
I don't know what good it will do to have my counselor talk to my mom, but I suppose it's worth a shot...

By the way, I love your signature. That quote used to be in my sig when I had my old account. Good movie!

Life isn't about worrying,
That's a waste of time.
And life isn't about being perfect,
It will never happen.
Life is about finding yourself,
And finding people who accept that person.

My PM box is always open!
  Send a message via AIM to thegirlnextdoor89 Send a message via Yahoo to thegirlnextdoor89  
Closed Thread