TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Social anxiety disorder? - September 14th 2009, 06:56 PM

I've never been diagnosed but I'm 95% sure I have it When I'm with people I don't know I just freeze up. I can't speak, I think about what I want to say in my head I just rarely say anything because I fear I'll look stupid and I just can't get the words out.

I looked on this site and I have all these

Quote:
The following situations are often stressful for people with social anxiety disorder:
  • Meeting new people
  • Being the center of attention (with people I don't know anyway)
  • Being watched while doing something
  • Making small talk (with people I don't know or don't know well)
  • Public speaking
  • Performing on stage
  • Being teased or criticized
  • Talking with “important” people or authority figures
  • Being called on in class
  • Going on a date
  • Making phone calls
  • Using public bathrooms
  • Taking exams.
  • Eating or drinking in public
  • Speaking up in a meeting
  • Attending parties or other social gatherings
Quote:
Psychological symptoms of social anxiety disorder (social phobia)

• Intense worry for days, weeks, or even months before an upcoming social situation.
  • Extreme fear of being watched or judged by others, especially people you don’t know.
  • Excessive self-consciousness and anxiety in everyday social situations.
  • Fear that you’ll act in ways that that will embarrass or humiliate yourself.
  • Fear that others will notice that you’re nervous.
  • Avoidance of social situations to a degree that limits your activities or disrupts your life.
Quote:
Physical symptoms of social anxiety disorder (social phobia)

• Pounding heart or tight chest
  • Shaky voice
  • Rapid breathing
  • Sweating or hot flashes
  • Upset stomach, nausea
  • Dry mouth
  • Trembling or shaking
  • Muscle tension
  • Blushing
  • Dizziness, feeling faint
  • Clammy hands
  • Twitching
I bolded the ones that effect me and underlined the ones which are worse.

I went to college today for the first day and wow O_______o I am hopeless I couldn't even make eye contact with people. The only time I talked to people in my class was when they talked to me first and that was simple yes and no answers.

I'm already thinking that people are thinking badly of me because I barely talked

People just don't understand either >_____< I've told my mother about this problem and she just replies with "well, talk" it's not that simple.

Eh. Does this sound like social anxiety to you? You can get counseling in my college and I would ask but, once again I don't want to make an idiot out of myself.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Firefighter 48 Offline
Firefighter/ EMT-B
Average Joe

Name: Mike

Re: Social anxiety disorder? - September 14th 2009, 11:11 PM

I have every one of the symptoms in the first box that you bolded but never really thought anything of them. Asking for counseling would not make you look like an idiot, it would do the opposite. It would earn you respect because you have the courage to get help for a problem.
  Send a message via MSN to Firefighter 48  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
mixtape Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Social anxiety disorder? - September 15th 2009, 12:39 AM

You should get a pro to diagnose you! They can tell you whether or not you have one (you may very well have one) and the psychiatrist/psychologist/family doctor can direct you where to go next. Make sure if you seek pro help from a psych that you tell them everything and create a plan that works for you.

I have a SAD and what helps is to write out situations like
"A crowded concert, people are drinking, doing drugs, and acting crazy"
Then rate the scenario on a scale of 1-10. Make a huge list.
All the social situations that land at a 3-5 on the scale do maybe two of these things every week. Maybe social situations that land at a 6-8 do one a month.

Do not worry, you do not need to perform, be the centre of attention, hang out in huge groups, go to crazy parties, etc.
Some people like to hang out in smaller groups or one on one. I like to hang out with a good friend of mine, we like to sit around and chat, make cookies , gossip, go for walks, have sleepovers,etc. Sometimes we get together with two of our other friends and go to movies, or play guitar hero at one of our houses, go to the beach for a walk, go for a drive, out for tea/coffee. Low key activities. I think I might even play tennis with a friend here sometime soon, he is going to teach me!

Maybe you can talk to teachers about being called on in class and explain what you are going though. If you go on google you can search for "How to be social" or "How to make small talk" or "How to talk to new people" and they can give you potential conversation starters.

For phone calls, sort of plan out the call. For appointments just say "I would like to make an appointment for _________ on saturday" Or even just ask your parent/guardian "When I call here, what do I say?"

I am having a lot of your problems as well. I just moved 5 hours away from home and have no friends at university and I can't go up to people and talk to them and be this wild crazy fun loving person.

Take advantage of your councelling services at your college. Just give them a call and say you are interested in councelling services, they may ask a few questions and give you some info. Then before your appointment check out and see where the building is so you don't feel lost or as scared when you walk there for the appointment, Then on the day of your appointment just walk in there and go to the desk and say you have an appointment at whatever time was scheduled. No one has to know about this but you, you are 18 and an adult. I just went to my councelling session today and it went great! My problems are not solved but I am headed on the right track! You can do it!! They can help you.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: Social anxiety disorder? - September 15th 2009, 09:15 PM

Thanks both ^______^ I think it's more of a self-confidence problem so maybe it isn't social anxiety disorder. Eh, I have this freshers' fair thing tomorrow where you can ask about stuff like that so I may ask there. If not I'll may ask my tutor about it, she's nice enough.

I somewhat talked to this guy in my class (well, he talked to me) today so that's a good sign. It was more awkward small talk but... yeah

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Adam Offline
Stand in the rain...
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Adam

Re: Social anxiety disorder? - September 15th 2009, 11:14 PM

I'd just like to start by saying you should never take any online quiz, test, survey etc. or read from lists to 'diagnose' you with a disorder, particularly a mental disorder. Due to the way we behave, it is often easy to look at a list and imagine that we have they symptoms.

For example, LOTS of people find 'performing on a stage' or 'public speaking' very stressful. Those people don't have Social Anxiety Disorder. So just as a heads up, never diagnose yourself with ANYTHING. Always go and see a professional!

Now, as you do present a lot of symptoms of Social Anxiety Disorder I would recommend that you visit your GP and tell them what you are feeling. I think you should also print off that list and take that with you, it can be a huge help! Social Anxiety Disorder is something that can easily be treated through something called Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT).

You don't have to feel this way forever Good luck! and Take Care.

Katrina's NERD.
[/color] [/b][/color] [/right]

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lynn

Re: Social anxiety disorder? - September 16th 2009, 03:02 AM

Im 15 and i have been diagnosed by 3 pros with extream anixty from many things one being socail, i was oprehensive about help at first but i relized i had to do some thing fast for i was falling and fast, i am alot better now i still have my moments but i can walk into school now with my head almost raised and talk to any one, when i used to walk into school late just to miss every one and not go to class so i wouldent be the center of attention, now i realized that it doesnt matter if i am or not because i am who i am and i have nothing to be ashamed of thus no need to get anxiuse ik im confussing lol and that probly didnt help at all but i think if u feel u need it it never hurts to try help

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Social anxiety disorder? - September 16th 2009, 04:02 PM

Hey there Ceilidh,

Well done for posting about your problem or 'suspicions', it's very good that you're trying to actively trying to confront the issues you're facing.
However, I do not think that the internet is an entirely reliable source at all, especially in regards of health issues. It is generally not a good idea to self-diagnose or look up symptoms as it is very easy for you to apply those symptoms to yourself (I think that most people could apply a few of these symptoms to themself) or even to start displaying symptoms that you may have not had or noticed before and that is not a good thing. The best thing you could do if you do have symptoms that are bothering or worrying you is to visit your doctor or another medical professional who can diagnose you and help you with this problem.
I hope that you do manage to talk to your counselling service, I think that could really help you with this.

Take care.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
I-Love-him Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Social anxiety disorder? - September 17th 2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
Hey there Ceilidh,

Well done for posting about your problem or 'suspicions', it's very good that you're trying to actively trying to confront the issues you're facing.
However, I do not think that the internet is an entirely reliable source at all, especially in regards of health issues. It is generally not a good idea to self-diagnose or look up symptoms as it is very easy for you to apply those symptoms to yourself (I think that most people could apply a few of these symptoms to themself) or even to start displaying symptoms that you may have not had or noticed before and that is not a good thing. The best thing you could do if you do have symptoms that are bothering or worrying you is to visit your doctor or another medical professional who can diagnose you and help you with this problem.
I hope that you do manage to talk to your counselling service, I think that could really help you with this.

Take care.
i agree with this 100%.
i am in no position to correctly say what is wrong, personaly the things you have underlined seem to say to me you are actualy mabye very self concious and mabye you have a anxiety problem. if you have panic attacks then i do reckon you should get checked.i suffer with anxiety and trust me, a online survery or whatever would NEVER be able to tell me that.but yh go get checked with a proffesional

Closed Thread