TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
shrinkingviolet Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Mom Won't Let Me Medicate - December 26th 2009, 05:04 AM

When I was 8 I was diagnosed with General Anxiety Disorder.

In a nutshell: everything makes me stressed out, I frequently get panic attacks, I have trouble sleeping, and I am scared of almost everything.

I've been able to keep it under control for the past 10 years, but it's getting worse. I get very mild panic attacks almost every other day from the smallest things (such as a sudden loud noise or someone raising their voice at me), and some pretty bad attacks once a month.

My mom is VERY anti medication, or being treated for any sort of mental problem. She's more into herbs and being centered and aligning your chakras, and that helps to an extent, especially if I drink tea with Belladonna and keep Lavender in my room, it can keep me calm enough.

But it only works for so long. I feel like I need something stronger to help me, I can't handle being scared all the time and my panic attacks are coming so suddenly I can't stop them before they come, usually I can sense them and calm myself down, but I can't anymore, and it's really wearing me down.

I am 18, and I can get the medication on my own if I go to a psychiatrist or my doctor, but I'm afraid she'll find the pills in my room and get angry.

I'm not sure how to bring it up, and not have it cause conflict.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Mom Won't Let Me Medicate - December 26th 2009, 11:54 PM

If you feel you need medicine to control your anxiety, you probably need medicine. Ten years is a long time to manage it on your own, but as you said it only works for so long. You're old enough to get them yourself, so if it's what you think is best then I'd say you should see a professional and get their opinion. If you DO get pills, and they help then she should see that. Also, if it means you won't have to worry about having panic attacks then I think it'd be worth it for her to possibly be a little mad at you.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
*Rainbow*Rider* Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: H

Re: Mom Won't Let Me Medicate - December 27th 2009, 01:15 AM

Yeah, just go and get them yourself. Actions speak louder then words. And yes, you may have an arguement but what can she do? Your body, your doctor, your medication. Your rules.

If the world is a cold place
Make it your business to start some fires

(#4 (permalink)) Old
shrinkingviolet Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Mom Won't Let Me Medicate - December 27th 2009, 06:01 AM

That's true. I just don't like going behind her back.
Medication goes against everything we believe, but I just feel like there's no other way anymore.

I couldn't even handle Christmas because the concept of not knowing what I was getting, and then having a gift there that needed to be unwrapped just made me panic so much that I could barely get through it all withouth throwing up because I was getting so upset.

Closed Thread