TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
adelina.rose Offline
Not a n00b

Name: adelina rose

fear of leaving the house - May 26th 2010, 03:59 AM

i have this weird fear like thing. where i find it hard to leave the house. i have school and work. i have my dream job. its not like im avoiding anything at these places. i just seem to get in the habit of not going. like i just cant go.its hard to leave the house and get out there, giving me some kind of anxiety. but once im there, im fine. but i do have this thing, where i wanna go back home. its like its the only place i feel safe. anyone out there get me? please help.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
JackOffJill Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Karyn

Re: fear of leaving the house - May 26th 2010, 06:17 AM

i totally understand what you are talking about. for 3 months, i didnt leave my house at all, even to go to school, because my anxiety was so bad. finally i was able to leave and i havnt had a major problem like this again. however, i do have my good days and my bad days. on my bad days i usually find myself unable to leave my house because of my anxiety. on my good days i am able to get my anxiety under control and i am able to leave the house. while i am out (like going to the library, or to the grocery store) i am usually uneasy (especially if i am out alone). some days once im out i have no problem though.
for me, the main reason why i have a hard time leaving my house is because i have social anxiety (or social phobia). so i know that leaving my house means that i will have to face other people which terrifies me.
there are actually quite a few people who have a hard time leaving their houses. have you been able to leave your house at all? or have you gone long periods of time without leaving at all? i think that you should talk to a doctor or therapist about this (i know its kinda a bad suggestion if you cant leave your house since you would have to leave to see the dr.....). i know that there is a phobia called agoraphobia that has to do with being afraid of leaving your house- there are many definitions for it, but basically someone who is agoraphobic does not leave their house for any reason. im not saying that this is the point that you are at, but with anxiety it can build until you get to the point where you dont leave for any reason. but this can be helped with medication and therapy and support from people.
please know that your not alone. i understand some of what you feel because of my anxiety. if you have any questions or anything please feel free to PM me.
  Send a message via AIM to JackOffJill  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
Find yourself and be that
I've been here a while

Name: Alessa

Re: fear of leaving the house - May 28th 2010, 12:04 AM

Hey,
I totally understand how you feel. My house is my comfy place and whenever I'm anxious I just want to go home and hide under the covers. When I'm home, I don't want to leave. But what I've learned is the more you isolate yourself from the outside world, the harder it is to get back into it. So if you tell yourself you've done it before and can do it again and keep doing your usual routine, it'll get easier. But if you stay home a lot and miss it, it will get harder. Also, it seems like most of your anxiety is anticipation of actually going. Try to distract yourself if you can. Use positive thinking like "I've been to school a million times and I've always been fine" or "I am okay, nothing bad is going to happen" or "As soon as I get there I'll be fine so there's no use worrying". Just use positive thinking to keep you mind positive because if you dwell on the anxiety, it will feel worse. I'm always here if you need anything.
Take care,
Alessa

Whatever it is, chances are I've been there.
If I can make it out, you can too.

Closed Thread