TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
annalibelle Offline
Jane Doe
Not a n00b

Name: Annabelle

Friend with Anxiety issues - July 12th 2010, 06:37 PM

My friend has anxiety issues, and some other mental problems. (OCD, GAD, and Aspergers as far as I know but maybe more.) This might go under friendships, but I think this forum would be more able to help me understand what it's like for her.
I know that this makes me somewhat of a bad person, but sometimes I get sorta annoyed with her and I think she is attention seeking and melodramatic. My other friends aren't friends with her, and outright can't stand her.
Can someone tell me what it's like for her and how I can have more patience? And can someone tell me what to do when she has a panic attack?
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

"Every mushroom cloud has a silver lining"- Owl City

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Lone Wolf Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Gemma

Re: Friend with Anxiety issues - July 12th 2010, 07:00 PM

I suffer from anxiety myself and it is often crippling and affects almost every aspect of my life. It can be very hard at times, and you feel isolated and cut off from others.

As for what it's life to have Asperger's Syndrome, you might want to look at this:

http://www.autism.org.uk/en-gb/about...-syndrome.aspx

Just try to remember that it's not her fault that she has mental health problems, and she is not trying to attention seek or annoy other people deliberately. Remember that having mental health problems must be very difficult for her. Try to see her illness as seperate from who she really is.

As for her having a panic attack, if she is in school at the time, perhaps just tell the teacher that you are going to the nurse or something, and quietly leave the class with her until she has calmed down a bit. Tell her to tuck her thumbs inside her fists, as this can help with breathing. Also try to divert the attention from her, and try to distract others from looking at her/ commenting on why she looks so anxious. Be there for her as much as you can, and remind her that the intense panic she is feeling will pass.

Hope this advice was helpful.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
BrokenInsanity circa 2004
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stacey

Re: Friend with Anxiety issues - July 12th 2010, 08:12 PM

I also suffer from Anxiety, particularly GAD and Hypochondria. It's a hard thing to live with, so it is understandable that you find it hard to relate to her and sometimes even find her annoying.
I recently read, "I don't want to be crazy" by Samantha Schutz. It's not the best book, but I found that it was incredibly relateable and did a good job of describing some of the instances that people with anxiety disorder face. If you can, it's an easy read and maybe something you want to look at. You can read a pretty lengthy except here: http://www.samanthaschutz.net/excerpt.html
Just keep in mind, that she's not trying to seek attention, that this really is something incredibly difficult to deal with and as much as she may be trying to keep attention away from her, or trying not to be annoying or a burden she can't control what these mental illnesses do.
As for panic attacks, it all depends on the person. Sometimes all you really need is a friend to calm you down, hold your hand and remind you to breathe. Having someone reassuring you that you're okay can be worth more than anything when you feel like everything is out of your control and you're going crazy or feeling like you're dying, whatever the panic attack may entail.
Try and understand that this is not something that's easy for her either, and I'm sure she appreciates you sticking by her through everything.

"Remember what you're worth
Remember you're worth fighting for
Remember you're not a punching bag
Remember you're not a doormat
Remember you are valuable
Remember you are repairable
Remember you matter
Remember they don't."

-jwh

(#4 (permalink)) Old
annalibelle Offline
Jane Doe
Not a n00b

Re: Friend with Anxiety issues - July 12th 2010, 08:45 PM

Thank you all for some enlightening advice. I don't want to pry, but what does it feel like to have an anxiety attack? And my friend doesn't have the kind of anxiety attack you are describing. What she calls an anxiety attack is when she just shuts down and curls up with her head tucked in and is unresponsive. It's sorta scary for me to see, but others think she's just being avoidant, since this happens when she is answering questions or taking a test.
Thanks,
Annali
By the way, Stacy thanks for the book idea, although I don't know whether i'm too crazy about the poetry...

(#5 (permalink)) Old
HisPrincess Offline
Associate Live Help Operator
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Angelica

Re: Friend with Anxiety issues - July 12th 2010, 08:55 PM

Hey,
I have had a panic attack before and from my point of view it is kinda scary as well. My heart rate increases, i feel really dizzy like passing out, and i usually feel horrible like i want to lie down but when your freaking out you don't want to lie down. I had a very mild ones but i would just try to be there for her. Keep her calm. Sometimes it can really help to have someone reassuring when your scared or worried. Hope this helps,

Angel22

Formerly jelli1224

Trusting is not a mistake, but it is important to realize that things change. ~ Kmn483<3Bliz

Please feel free to PM me. I love to help others, and can be an ear to talk to, a shoulder to cry on, or a face to scream at. <3

Help LINK Mentor - March 19th 2011 to April 16th 2011

Live Help Operator - February 18th 2012 to June 4th, 2012

Associate Live Help Operator - August 13th 2012 <3

(#6 (permalink)) Old
annalibelle Offline
Jane Doe
Not a n00b

Re: Friend with Anxiety issues - July 12th 2010, 09:05 PM

Thanks, Angel22.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Lone Wolf Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Gemma

Re: Friend with Anxiety issues - July 13th 2010, 05:14 PM

Panic attacks can be different for everyone. For me, I feel my heart and breathing increase to higher rates than they would if I had just run a 20 mile marathon. You sweat like mad, and feel like you're going to pass out or that you're going crazy. You shake and tremble like mad and your stomach aches. You feel an overwhelming desire to escape from whatever situation you're in. If you've never had a panic attack then you can only imagine what it's like, but it's possibly the most terrifying thing you could ever experience.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
BrokenInsanity circa 2004
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stacey

Re: Friend with Anxiety issues - July 13th 2010, 09:49 PM

Like others have said they're different for everyone. Personally my heart rates increases, i find it hard to breathe and/or my throat gets tight, generally I feel like i'm dying.

"Remember what you're worth
Remember you're worth fighting for
Remember you're not a punching bag
Remember you're not a doormat
Remember you are valuable
Remember you are repairable
Remember you matter
Remember they don't."

-jwh

(#9 (permalink)) Old
annalibelle Offline
Jane Doe
Not a n00b

Re: Friend with Anxiety issues - July 14th 2010, 12:24 AM

shoot, that sounds terrible. thanks a million for telling me.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Friend with Anxiety issues - July 17th 2010, 08:05 PM

I have anxiety, i have for the past two years or so. Social phobia has proven to be my worse.

Ive been struggling with panic for that time too. I start my feeling hot, and shakey and my mody having tingling sensations. Ill find my self hyperventalating and throwing up which has lead me to passing out.

My friends felt the same, and they didnt know what to do. My teacher helped my boyfrined understand it and how to help me.

Make sure there aren't loads of people around her, so she's got space. Tell her to take deep breaths, like breathe in 1234 and out 1234. It will help her breathing. Its best for her to have her arms open so her lungs can open. If things get really bad you need to get help, but just try be there for her.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread