TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kumagoro Offline
Formerly ChaosControl
I've been here a while

Driving test nerves - November 7th 2010, 03:17 PM

Feel free to move this if it's in the wrong place. I don't have an anxiety disorder, but in this particular situation I have the potential to be a nervous wreck.

I'm taking my driving test next week and I'm absolutely terrified. I'm not scared of failing, but I am scared of doing something so unbelievably stupid that the examiner wants to get out of the car in the first five minutes. I've had dangerous faults on mock tests before, and I know if I'm nervous on the day I'm going to freak out and do something stupid.

What can I do to chill out? Obviously I can't take anything that will affect my driving, but if I don't sort out my nerves my instructor's going to go ape.

Thanks for any advice...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Re: Driving test nerves - November 7th 2010, 07:14 PM

Hey there!

I've done my driving test, and I had to do it twice before I passed! So I know what it's like to fail, and I was crushed. But the actual test isn't that bad at all. Just think of it like another lesson, but with a different guy. Do what they ask you to do, and just be calm and relaxed. I know it's easier said than done, but you can do it.

All the stuff they ask you to do, you have done it before, so you can do it! And if you do fail, so what? Learn from your mistakes a try again next time.

Good luck with it, I know you'll do great!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
Find yourself and be that
I've been here a while

Name: Alessa

Re: Driving test nerves - November 7th 2010, 11:00 PM

Hey there,
Just know you definately aren't the only one nervous for your driving test. Anxiety disorder or not, everyone gets nervous for their license. Remember, the instructers have to be used to it. I'm sure they've been in the cars with crazy drivers so you'll do fine. Try to bring like a squishy ball for your pocket like while you're waiting. I think the anticipation is the worst part. Once you're in the car, you'll be too focused on driving to worry. I definately have the same problem when I get nervous for my driving lessons and I can't take anything. Tell yourself you've done it before you can do it again! Good luck I'm sure you'll do fine!
Alessa

Whatever it is, chances are I've been there.
If I can make it out, you can too.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Driving test nerves - November 7th 2010, 11:15 PM

I havn't taken the DOL test yet, but I know people who have. Think about how many terrible drivers there are out on the road. There will always be people who are worse drivers then you are. And remember that the test is only about 15 minutes long. You get to drive your own car which has always made me feel much better then using a car I'm not familiar with. Even if you fail, you can always redo it, which several people do! I'm sure you will do just fine, good luck!

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kumagoro Offline
Formerly ChaosControl
I've been here a while

Re: Driving test nerves - November 9th 2010, 10:06 PM

Thanks for your support everyone.

I know it's not a big deal if I fail. I guess it's just that when I get something wrong when I'm driving, I feel like a really bad person 'cos it could have caused an accident. I know everybody makes mistakes, but it's the shame that comes with those mistakes that's really freaking me out.

I'll give it my best shot and let you know how it goes.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
cptdean Offline
Runs this Ship
Average Joe

Name: Dean

Re: Driving test nerves - November 9th 2010, 11:42 PM

just drive around thinking every other driver is a complete idiot (quite alot of them are) and be prepared for anything that could happen.

i would hope your instructor has giving you the proper time and training in order to pass your test. just go around thinking your the best (you have no reason not to if you know what you are meant to be doing)

dont worry about the driving instructors, they have probably got lots and lots of life insurance so go for it and good luck!

BaconStrips&
BaconStrips&
BaconStrips&
BaconStrips&
BaconStrips...

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Kumagoro Offline
Formerly ChaosControl
I've been here a while

Re: Driving test nerves - November 15th 2010, 05:29 PM

Thanks everyone. You've really helped. This can be closed now because the test is over and done with. (See "Good Days"... )

Closed Thread