TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
tamz Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Coping with anxiety? - February 20th 2011, 09:37 PM

Hey everyone,

how do you cope with anxiety? I can't stand things at the moment. I feel so anxious lately, especially with regards to talking to people, but then I feel so alone too Keep getting panic attacks too, don't know why things are so bad lately. I have one or two close friends but I even get nervous about meeting up with them at the moment. Anyone know what I mean? Just feel like a bit of a freak atm.

xx

(#2 (permalink)) Old
kitkat_kate Offline
Average Joe

Name: Katie

Re: Coping with anxiety? - February 23rd 2011, 07:24 PM

Hey, there. Anxiety is a really rough thing to deal with. Having recently been diagnosed with it myself, I know that I struggled with understanding it and coping with it.

For me, I find it really important to keep myself grounded when I start feeling nervous or anxious. I focus on the feel of carpet under my feet, the color of the wall in the room. It's important for me that the item I focus on be tangible and outside of my own body. That way, I can feel it, touch it, see it, maybe even hear or taste it, depending on what it is.

I also have mantras I repeat, depending upon the situation, to tell myself that I'm okay.

The biggest thing I've done to cope with my own anxiety, however, has been seeing a professional. If you have the option of visiting with a counselor, they have a much better insight into your feelings and issues than I can. They can give you coping mechanism to keep yourself strong and comfortable.

It's okay to be anxious, your feelings are very much valid and normal. Just remember to breathe. It's okay to keep yourself out of situations that make you uncomfortable for a bit, but important that you find a way to cope with them so your anxiety doesn't rule your life.

If you need to talk, PM me. I'm always willing to listen and help as much as I can.

i am not my scars and my history
i am, i am, i am who i am...i am who i am.
there are true things inside of me;
i have been afraid to see.

Send a message via MSN to kitkat_kate Send a message via Skype™ to kitkat_kate 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
abreacti0n Offline
Scars are Silent Screams
Average Joe

Name: Maria

Re: Coping with anxiety? - February 27th 2011, 09:53 AM

Heyy there
What Katie said is very helpful and going to a professianol would help a lot ... a person needs a lot of courage to get help .. and I'm sure that you can do it

The person will do everything to make you feel comfortable ... and after all he's just a human like you and me

Stay strong and Take Care xx

~ I am Lost Between Fighting and Giving Up ~

The light is always found at the end of a tunnel

Tumblr

PM / VM

Closed Thread