TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
HisPrincess Offline
Associate Live Help Operator
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Angelica

Exclamation Urgent Anxiety Advice?? - March 5th 2011, 12:57 AM

Hi guys,

I am in need of some advice here. You see, I have Huge anxiety problems. Like I am afraid of almost anything. But I found a huge thing I am afraid of is...people. Like, people in person. I just hate it! Now, If I know you really well and have spent time talking to you online or on the phone first then we should be cool after the first few minutes. But other then that, I hate being around people I don't know. Mainly teenagers. It scares me to no end. So then I hang around my mom. (I am really close to her) and the teens usually don't go near me then because its odd to see a teen hanging around her mom so much. But it makes me really nervous. Well I am explaining all of this for future reference, and so you can hopefully help me with a problem I have to deal with tomorrow. I am going to this all day thing with a TON of other kids, and teens. Not to mention it's at a college campus...so there is going to be college aged kids there too. I am going to be doing these different tests and things I have studied for. But my mom is not going to be there. My Dad is taking me, and I am not as close to him as I would like to be. Not at all. So....what do I do? I tend to freak out almost to the point of hyperventilating when I am around teens, and without my mom. But guys....that's another story. I like FREAK OUT when around teenage guys. Like I am not too sure why, but they tend to scare the crap out of me. I have made about one good friendship with a guy before only to be rejected like 3 times by him and 1 of those times were to my face. I had a crush on him at the time, and over a few months had gotten close to him. I just hate being seperated from my mom, and seem to have this huge fear that she will leave and never come back. I know it seems really irrational, and it feels that way too. But like i am so dang nervous about this tomorrow. Any advice, tips or encouragement would be greatly appreciated. Thank you guys.

jelli1224

Formerly jelli1224

Trusting is not a mistake, but it is important to realize that things change. ~ Kmn483<3Bliz

Please feel free to PM me. I love to help others, and can be an ear to talk to, a shoulder to cry on, or a face to scream at. <3

Help LINK Mentor - March 19th 2011 to April 16th 2011

Live Help Operator - February 18th 2012 to June 4th, 2012

Associate Live Help Operator - August 13th 2012 <3

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Katrina Offline
you only live once.
I can't get enough

Name: Katrina

Re: Urgent Anxiety Advice?? - March 5th 2011, 02:27 PM

Hi there!

Firstly, I'm glad you've decided to reach out to us. I encourage you to not back down from going to this college campus to take your exam, as backing down from this will most certainly perpetuate your anxiety the next time an obligation that you must do arises. If its anytime before about 1PM on the weekends, chances are you're not going to see many college students out and about. We don't really hang out on campus during the weekends, and surely not in the mornings. If there are students there, they'll probably be in their dorms/in Greek housing/on the quad...but probably not in any of the academic buildings you'll be going to to take your exams (except for perhaps a few!).

PubMed Health recommends the following lifestyle changes (in addition to some different professional help options that they list alongside these):

Quote:
  • Get regular exercise, adequate sleep, and regularly scheduled meals.
  • Reduce or avoid the use of caffeine, some over-the-counter cold medicines, and other stimulants.
Otherwise, I just want to let you know that I'm rooting for you and that I know you can do it. Try to keep yourself grounded and focused on the task at hand--taking your exam. You're likely to be put in a room where the other students don't really know each other either, so I doubt there will be a whole lot of opportunity for people to talk to each other. If its a nationally distributed exam, there's probably a whole lot of people in the same boat as you in terms of feeling anxious on the day of the test.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Send a message via MSN to Katrina  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
HisPrincess Offline
Associate Live Help Operator
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Angelica

Smile Re: Urgent Anxiety Advice?? - March 7th 2011, 02:37 AM

Hello Katrina! Thank you so much for taking the time to post in the thread and help me out. Thanks for the tips! I did actually survive and it all went really well. I actually was just really excited to go and take these little tests(they were for an event, but the tests were not that big of a deal). Because of that, I was not really stressed. When I got to our "home base" for the day I noticed that instead of the Elementary school that was supposed to be in the same room, there was a high school. Although that made me a little uneasy I actually ended the day with talking to some other teenagers that I did not know and feeling quite confident about it. As well as that, I also spoke to some acquaintances today at church. So I am starting to communicate with other teens a little bit more and things are going really well. I will continue to keep you updated with PM's if you want, you sound like a really nice person(and the only one to respond so far) Thanks for your help!

jelli1224

Formerly jelli1224

Trusting is not a mistake, but it is important to realize that things change. ~ Kmn483<3Bliz

Please feel free to PM me. I love to help others, and can be an ear to talk to, a shoulder to cry on, or a face to scream at. <3

Help LINK Mentor - March 19th 2011 to April 16th 2011

Live Help Operator - February 18th 2012 to June 4th, 2012

Associate Live Help Operator - August 13th 2012 <3

Closed Thread