TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BlueWolf Offline
A lost wolf
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Jessica

Anxiety and not eating - May 11th 2011, 02:20 PM

I have always had very severe anxiety and I often go through phases where I can't eat. It's not that I don't want to, it's that when I try to, I feel sick to my stomach and not at all hungry. I feel fine when I don't try to eat though, so I know I'm not sick. I've had this happen several times throughout my life. My doctor says it's from my anxiety. Does anyone else experience this? If you do, how do you get through it? I've been in the hospital once already because I lost too much weight, and this time it's getting out of control again and I'm dangerously underweight. I haven't eaten in days, but I've drank a lot of water to try and help. I can drink okay, it's just eating. My mom is taking me to the doctor tomorrow probably, the regular doctor since I can't get in to see my psychiatrist till June 3. How do you guys cope with this? Any advice to help me get through this?

Thanks.

Self-harm free since 10.1.2013
"You have not failed if you learned something from it."
"Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain"
"Weak heart, Dying soul, Falling apart, Make me whole, These broken blues, Peirce your being, Hide the truth, You won't be seeing."
"Deeper, Deeper, Deeper inside me I live a life that seems to be a lost reality."
"Big Brother is watching."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Re: Anxiety and not eating - May 12th 2011, 04:26 PM

I used to have this exact same problem! I know how awful and frustrating it can be, especially if you want to go out for dinner somewhere. I used to buy breakfast/cereal bars and make small snacks like little sandwiches or fruit salads, and I just used to nibble on them all day. Sometimes it would take me hours to finish a meal as it was like I was suppressing a gag reflex. Just eat little things as often as you can, and take plenty of multivitamins to keep you going. Smoothies are good too, cause they're full of goodness and fruit

Just remember - little and often!
Hope I helped!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
BlueWolf Offline
A lost wolf
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Anxiety and not eating - May 12th 2011, 07:40 PM

Thanks! That's a great idea! I didn't even think about smoothies. I absoultely love them too. I can drink things okay, so that would be something I could probably do until this passes. I've also been trying to nibble through the day and take a couple bites at a time. At least it's a little food that I'm getting in my system. I went three days before I was even able to take a single bite, but seeing how I am able to nibble a bit even if I can't even eat a whole meal, it means it will pass as always.

This really did help though. I'll see about getting some smoothies to help me get through this phase. Thank you again!

"Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain"
"Weak heart, Dying soul, Falling apart, Make me whole, These broken blues, Peirce your being, Hide the truth, You won't be seeing."
"Deeper, Deeper, Deeper inside me I live a life that seems to be a lost reality."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Re: Anxiety and not eating - May 12th 2011, 10:29 PM

Glad it was useful!
Soup is good too - easy to swallow and if you make your own it's super good for you.
It does go away, eventually. I know it's a pain and it ruins nice things, but you have to learn to visualise it and say "No! I'm going to eat this, enjoy the tastiness and you can't stop me! YUM"
Just work your way up and steadily increase what you eat.
It IS beatable!
Kick its ass

(#5 (permalink)) Old
BlueWolf Offline
A lost wolf
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Anxiety and not eating - May 13th 2011, 05:27 PM

I know. It happens to me quite often, and I'm slowly increasing how much I'm eating. I really want to and everything taste so good, so I'm forcing myself. It's just hard.

I'll try soup too. That does sound good too.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Anxiety and not eating - May 13th 2011, 07:42 PM

You could also try things like "Ensure" (I don't know what they call it in the US, if the same thing?), which is a meal replacement drink, essentially. It's supposed to help when you can't eat a lot. My friend's mom practically lived off them when she couldn't eat due to painkillers after surgery.

When I get too anxious, I can't eat either. If I go to take a bite, I just can't. My body won't let me. I get too nervous and my stomach feels queasy, as well. So I know how it can suck, but I usually just, wait until I'm able to calm down with Griffyn, wind down, then have something small and hope it'll stay down.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

Closed Thread