TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Help? - August 11th 2011, 12:16 AM

If someone suspects that they have social anxiety and/or depression and they don't want to get treatment for it... What do I do?! I'm extremely worried about this person and I know that they need help but they are too nervous to talk to someone because they think they're going to breakdown and cry and get all emotional and he doesn't want to do that. He thinks that's the opposite of what he's supposed to do.. But anyways, what can I do to tell him that therapy is OK? That being emotional is normal? Or should I just respect his wishes to not go to therapy and get help?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
wonderbread Offline
Like a dude
I've been here a while

Name: Ashley

Re: Help? - August 11th 2011, 02:25 AM

You could always try talking to him. Let him know its okay by telling him its okay and it may take more than once. But slowly talk to him about it and let him know its all okay.

Always remember to put your happiness first.
  Send a message via MSN to wonderbread  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Help? - August 11th 2011, 07:57 PM

You could offer to accompany this person to a therapy session, whether it's with a school guidance counselor or a local therapist/psychologist who specializes in mood and/or anxiety disorders. There are probably support groups in the area as well, which you could both attend. There is no way to force this person to see someone, though, unless they pose a threat to themselves or others (ex. they say they're going to attempt suicide). If that ever happens, you can call the police and have this person put on suicide watch in a hospital's mental health unit. Of course, that's a last resort, but it would force this person to participate in at least one therapy session.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Help? - August 11th 2011, 08:06 PM

Thank you both for your replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSY View Post
There is no way to force this person to see someone, though, unless they pose a threat to themselves or others (ex. they say they're going to attempt suicide). If that ever happens, you can call the police and have this person put on suicide watch in a hospital's mental health unit. Of course, that's a last resort, but it would force this person to participate in at least one therapy session.
I told him that if I find any reason to call someone or tell someone then I will and he said that he understands and gives me permission to tell someone if that ever was the circumstance. I'm just really worried about him.

Last night he told me he was thinking about going "mute"... I asked what he meant and he said: "I'll just not talk to anyone anymore. I'll keep everything inside and I'll just never use my voice again." THAT worries me! :/

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Help? - August 11th 2011, 08:42 PM

Hey there.

Firstly I want to say what such a good friend you are

I do agree with all of this.

Quote:
You could offer to accompany this person to a therapy session, whether it's with a school guidance counselor or a local therapist/psychologist who specializes in mood and/or anxiety disorders. There are probably support groups in the area as well, which you could both attend. There is no way to force this person to see someone, though, unless they pose a threat to themselves or others (ex. they say they're going to attempt suicide). If that ever happens, you can call the police and have this person put on suicide watch in a hospital's mental health unit. Of course, that's a last resort, but it would force this person to participate in at least one therapy session.

However, i think right now, you just need to make sure your friends knows that you are there for them. Make sure they know you're willing to go to therapists etc with them if they want you to but otherwise just let him know you're there when they are ready.

Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Help? - August 11th 2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexithymia View Post
Firstly I want to say what such a good friend you are
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexithymia View Post
However, i think right now, you just need to make sure your friends knows that you are there for them. Make sure they know you're willing to go to therapists etc with them if they want you to but otherwise just let him know you're there when they are ready.
I told him that. He said he appreciates it and will take it into consideration when he decides what he actually wants to do about it.

But I'm still worried. Not gonna repeat myself but it's my last post besides this one where I mentioned my worries :/

(#7 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Help? - August 12th 2011, 12:05 AM

Hmm... well, I find it highly doubtful that he'll stop talking for the rest of his life. Chances are he was just venting - I don't know about you, but there are times when I've thought, "What's the point in saying anything anymore? No one cares about what I have to say." He may have been serious at that particular moment, but tomorrow he'll be talking like usual. He may actually TRY to stop talking, but that will only last for a few days... MAYBE a few weeks. The bottom-line is that people can't will themselves to stop talking. We're all social creatures, and aside from the occasional "silent protest", we not only love to talk, we NEED to talk. =)

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Help? - August 12th 2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Hmm... well, I find it highly doubtful that he'll stop talking for the rest of his life. Chances are he was just venting - I don't know about you, but there are times when I've thought, "What's the point in saying anything anymore? No one cares about what I have to say." He may have been serious at that particular moment, but tomorrow he'll be talking like usual. He may actually TRY to stop talking, but that will only last for a few days... MAYBE a few weeks. The bottom-line is that people can't will themselves to stop talking. We're all social creatures, and aside from the occasional "silent protest", we not only love to talk, we NEED to talk. =)
That makes me feel better about the situation. I know I've said something along those lines... a lot But I've never used the word, "mute", so I was confused :/ Thanks for your help Glad to know that he won't stop talking forever!

Closed Thread