TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ilyasviel Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Please I really need help - January 26th 2012, 03:46 PM

I am scheduled to go with a psychiatrist with my father my anxiety have been really getting out of hand lately. I really don't know how to solve my anxiety so I have no other options but to accept my father's advice to get some counselling.

I am really reluctant to get some counselling as taking medication could harm me even more but I cannot hold on much longer. Going to school is very hard moreover if I try to get a job. I really don't wan't my father to spend on something like my medication.

I have been struggling for my anxiety for a year and at this point it is getting really out of hand and is really starting to interfere with my daily life. I know this question have been asked for a dozen of times but I really have no friend to talk to my few friends think of it as just some stress that can easily be dismissed.

I really wan't to know what are the effects of taking anti-depressant and anti-anxiety medication. I'm really sorry for asking this question although the internet holds vast amount of information about its adverse effect but I really wan't to know from people who had a lot of experience in taking medication.

I really broke down today. My father was really shocked as I told him that I cannot hold it anymore. I feel going insane. After panic attacks I literary feel drained the whole day regardless of the lengthy amount of sleep, proper diet and good exercise. I feel going insane. I am in disarray as I think of how will other people react once they know I am in medication. I fear the threat of taking medication as it will hinder my future plans in taking a job. I fear that the treatment would go out of hand and would impair my reasoning and my feelings. I fear that the medication would not give me significant effects.

I have been reading information that taking one would dull one's reasoning.
That it could be addicting and moreover my whole personally will be shifted.

I am still breaking down at this point I can't stop crying. I have never felt anything like this. I am usually calm about everything, and even at panic I try to be calm but lately my severe attack has been really annoying that I have a hard time getting from one place to another. i don't know where to turn to at this point. My friends don't really understand the severity of my problems. Only my father understands my ordeal because he had experience in taking medication.

I have never used illegal drugs, I have stopped drinking alcohol for over a year. My grades are very good even if I am always alone in school and have been soloing projects. I have all I need now. My father has offered me a lot of stuffs to ease my boredom but I cannot be happy no matter what.

I love being alone, it has always been like that. I believe my anxiety might have originated from being alone and from all the stress and past blunders.
Still I love being alone my past blunders have been well paved off. I have really changed my lifestyle. I stopped hanging out with friends who have no direction in life. I no longer have the desire to go into vacation. I just love being cooped up in my room. Nothing really interest me outside.

I've tried engaging into a new hobby but it became boring after a while. The same goes for any video games I play. Once I hold something my interest quickly shifts. Joining an organization at school is meaningless, I could always feel the cold eyes against me. The same goes to sports. I'll get bored after a while or I will feel unwelcome and eventually lose interest. School would be the same if it wasn't for my grades and my sense of achievement in excelling a task done alone that mostly requires a group.

I always blame that God is very unfair. I know a lot of people who are more than deserving to feel what I am feeling right now. I have changed a lot but many people that I know have not. I am still finding ways to improve myself but my anxiety is always there. I have read a lot of articles, books, and been told many advices how to stop worrying and how to combat anxiety but to no avail. I really don't deserve this. I could achieve a lot of stuffs with this gone. I really don't want to be medicated if possible. But I guess with this amount of stress and anxiety it is hardly impossible.

I can't stop crying. I really have no one to talk to. I feel like breaking apart.
Sometimes I feel that killing myself would just be easier than to cope with this everyday. My friends are usually there just to ask a favor but during crisis they wouldn't care less. Maybe taking meds would hinder most of my emotions which will be good.

Last edited by PSY; January 26th 2012 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Moved thread to the Anxiety subforum.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Gemma. Offline
Average Joe

Name: Gemma

Re: Please I really need help - January 26th 2012, 03:59 PM

I do take meds myself, and to be honest i dont know whether it changes your reasoning etc. but as far as i can tell i have not changed enough to notice. i do not suffer any side effects other than tiredness and it seems you suffer from this anyhow. So i dont think you have anything to lose. Dont worry about it being addictive, it is but if you forget to take meds one day or even two it does not seem to effect me. I have been taking meds for a year now and am on 2 a day, so actually quite a high dosage. Also, the meds i am on, its a really reliable one and can be stopped immediately without having side effects or withdrawal. Its called flouxetine, but talk to your doctor about which one would be best. I think you should try it, its quite clear that you havent much to lose and thats the same position as i was in when i started.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Please I really need help - January 26th 2012, 04:08 PM

Have you tried therapy like CBT yet? I'm not sure why you're jumping to the conclusion of medication already, most psychiatrists understand that most anxiety doesn't warrant being bombarded with just medication and does much better with either just therapy or a combination of the two if therapy is too difficult.
But as per your questions about medication, it won't affect your getting a job. It won't change who you are. Medication is to make you feel like you and if it does anything else then it's not working properly and needs to be changed. You may have side effects for a few weeks but they usually go away, and if they don't or if they're too serious then you simply have to call up your doctor and let them know. As far as side effects for anti-anxiety medications go I don't know what they are because I don't have any side effects from mine.

Like you said the internet has a lot of information that I'm sure you know how to find (google, wikipedia, etc.). Remember though, when you're looking up anti-depressants it will be listing stuff based on what people with depression have experienced, seeing as you have anxiety and not depression you will likely be on a different dose (probably lower) and thus experience different side effects. It really is a question to bring up with your psychiatrist (if they even bring up medicaiton that is).

And if you really don't want to be on medication you know you can always say no. It's your choice, you can say something like "I was wondering if we could try something safer first, like cognitive behavioural therapy. I've read online that it's worked for a lot of people and there's no drawback to it. If after awhile in therapy I don't feel any improvemnet or I'm finding it too difficult as a result of my anxiety then I would like to discuss my options as far as medication goes with you.".

It's always your choice.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
ilyasviel Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Please I really need help - January 26th 2012, 04:09 PM

You're right I have nothing to lose. I am always sealing my emotions that it may have contributed to my mental disorder. Well, I'll be taking meds anyway so probably it's a lost worry. Even if I do not land on a job because of my medication my father has assured me that he will help me and fund a business. Maybe I am worrying too much. Even if my friends know about it, It probably won't have any significant impact since my world have drifted far enough. I just hope that the medication would effect immediately. I hear that it takes atleast a week or two for the medication to have a noticeable effect.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Gemma. Offline
Average Joe

Re: Please I really need help - January 26th 2012, 04:14 PM

It does take around 2 weeks and just so you know, you wont notice it. The only people who will notice it are those who are around you (usually those that do not see you so often) afterall you live with yourself everyday and will not notice any changes until it has changed to almost a complete opposite. Have a go at therapy too, i think that maybe you should talk about it. I hate doing it but i feel like a weight has been lifted afterwards.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Please I really need help - January 26th 2012, 04:26 PM

Honestly, as someone who has Anxiety, and uses an anti-anxiety medication to get through work, I'd say it's not something your job really needs to know about, seeing as it's irrelevant to the employer, unless you happen to go through an episode and they notice. My anti-anxiety medication has made my job easier, making me feel more comfortable (so I can get my job done without feeling like a nervous wreck about it), and also helping me feel less anxious around fellow employees, which helps me get into a conversation (if they are talking about something I can put an opinion in on, that is).

But Rick is right, medication may not be the answer, or may only be part of the answer. He brought up a good point about trying CBT, but I'm sure the mental health professional you're going to see will be able to discuss different options with you.

Just keep in mind though, if they say you'll need medication (emphasis on the IF), it won't mean the end of your life. If they prescribe something for you, it's because they think it will benefit you more. Nobody can tell you a whole lot about any side effects right now, seeing as medications differ in side effects, so to say it for one doesn't mean it will be true for another.

Make sure to walk in, answer all the questions asked honestly, and then be open to discussing the different solutions from there. Ask questions! If the psych mentions different ideas of what he/she thinks could benefit you (whether it be CBT, or a medication, or whatever else), ask more questions about it, to understand what the benefits (and any possible risks) would be, how it works (especially for CBT, ask more about it), etc. You should know as much as you need to in order to make an informed decision.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#7 (permalink)) Old
ilyasviel Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Please I really need help - January 26th 2012, 04:32 PM

Thanks. I haven't really looked much about CBT but I'm willing to bite into anything.
I was assuming that I would be on meds as my father used to take it and his problem does not seem to weigh as much as I. Although it sounds costly as you have to be evaluated from time to time, but if it would really help me I'll gladly accept it. I was also assuming that I would be on meds because I have tried so many approach but still failed, as I have been suffering from it for a year. But I only just opened it up to my parents as it is getting out of hand plus all the efforts I have put up so far proved meaningless.

Thank you so much. It really calmed me down. I have never taken CBT into consideration. I can probably sleep comfortably later.
To be honest if I were given an option if I were to choose CBT or meds, I'll just use meds. It looks a lot more hassle free. but who knows.
in a day or two I'll have all my answers. I'll try reading more info about CBT. It looks intriguing. Thank you so much everyone.
Getting opinion from someone who is well experienced first is really the right choice.

Last edited by ilyasviel; January 26th 2012 at 04:41 PM.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Gemma. Offline
Average Joe

Re: Please I really need help - January 26th 2012, 04:37 PM

You are definately going in the right direction even if things arent quite working out yet. Have a look into all the possibilities, a doctor or phsychiatrist may be able to give you more options

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Please I really need help - January 26th 2012, 04:57 PM

Hi there.

Firstly I want to make sure you know how great it is you're come to us and even thinking about counseling and taking medication to help you. One of the first steps in to recovery is accepting help and you knowing that you want to beat this.

I just wanted to ask you if you know of any triggers towards your anxiety? Some people find they struggle with anxiety in social situations for example or people who may have or do have PTSD may struggle with anxiety too. Some times people don't know why they have anxiety but it just happens and if that's the case then that's okay. I was just wondering because if it is for example, social anxiety it might be beneficial for you to look in to someone like having occupational therapy and where if you struggle with things which have happened din the past which and if you're struggling with PTSD it might be good to have psychotherapy or CBT to help that.

Have you been diagnosed with anxiety or depression or ever both? While I don't think a diagnoses is incredibly important it can sometimes help people get the right treatment and medication etc. Of course if you haven't been and you see the psychiatrist this might be something they will look in to. Sometimes people can start struggling with anxiety and because it starts affecting their everyday life it also triggers depression. Or it could be the other way around too. But sometimes people just have anxiety in which case the treatment and medication, again, might be different so it's important you know what you struggle with so you can explain this to the psychiatrist.

If you're just having issues surrounding anxiety then medication can be prescribed but like already said, I always think therapy should be a first option and should be carried on even if you are put on medication so that the underlying issues aren't just being covered but are being solved to help you in the long run. DBT therapy might be good for you anxiety too, such as doing mindfulness, radical acceptance, distress tolerance, emotional regulation etc. I went on a DBT group and found some of the things realy good for my anxiety. DBT can also be good for depression. CBT could also help with both anxiety and depression. It will help you to help yourself to change your thought process. Exposure therapy can be good for anxiety and will help you face fears in a controlled environment to ensure your safety etc. It might be good to look in to the different types of therapy available to you. If you're struggling with depression too, there are actually medications which are anti-depresents but also help with anxiety which could be worth looking in to.

I suffer with panic attacks. At one point I was having up to ten a day and they could last up to a good half hour each and you're right, it's emotionally and physically exhausting and it feels like the life in you is being drained out. I spent days in bed because I thought that was best for me. I wouldn't go out or in to school or anything. I became isolated and even now, with them being better, I still don't really go out and socialize. But truth be told, for both depression and anxiety, what you do outside of all therapy and medication is probably going to be a big help to you the most. Get active, do sport, take on hobbies, join clubs, travel, meet people, go out with friends etc. This can really benefit your mental health state.

Have you tried breathing techniques for when you're having a panic attack? I often find it helpful if I have someone with me, going through steps of breathing or just holding my hand and reminding me where I am, what's going on and that I am okay. Because at times I honestly thought I was going to die because I just couldn't breathe, I was dizzy, my legs went numb, my hands tingled and my jaw locks up and it is awful. Try to get in to a quiet place with a friend to be there for you. Ground yourself. Feel the chair your sat on and take deep breathes. I always breathe in through my nose for four seconds and out my mouth another four and keep repeating it. Try telling yourself that this has happened before that it doesn't feel nice and it is unpleasant but that it isn't going to hurt you and that you will get through it just like you have done before.

I don't know if any of this will be helpful to you or not but either way I hope things start o look up for you. I know it seems hard now but you can beat this so keep on fighting through each day.

Take good care,
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#10 (permalink)) Old
ilyasviel Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Please I really need help - January 26th 2012, 05:36 PM

Thank you so much.
To be honest I didn't think the replies would be this fast.
I'm really glad with the advices as I have no experience in this and has a pending appointment with my psychiatrist.

It's the first time I have heard about DBT. I'll definitely look up to it later. First of all my country does not take mental disorder quite seriously like the other countries. Most people will shun you if they know you have a very unstable mental state. To be honest I
fear what will happen if a lot of people would know about my condition.

I really don't like socializing. I would rather stay in my room if there is nothing meaningful to do outside. I have been like this for a long time that I mostly view things outside as pointless and dull.

About what triggers my anxiety. I always experience it when I go outside. Mostly If I go out a few minutes from my home my anxiety picks up. It's been almost a year since I have been really aware of this condition. But lately it really became so unbearable that I have a very hard time travelling for an hour. I usually drop off somewhere when I feel that it is very unbearable.

I am quite ashamed to say that mostly I feel nauseated and very dizzy that I lose control. A few months ago I was able to cope up with this since the unbearable feeling only escalated 1 or 2 times a month but lately the unbearable feeling escalated from 1 - 2 times a month to twice or thrice a week. I say it is unbearable when I really have to stop travelling, rest for 30 minutes, feel absolutely drained. I feel people are just passing by, and often times I just realize I am looking into an empty space. I also have noticed every time of my attack I am sweating profusely. Given that I also have hyperhydrosis but with my anxiety even with a fully airconditioned establishment I would still be sweating buckets.

Sometimes during my unbearable attacks I would have the urge to excrement fecal matter. After that I would really feel drained as if I haven't slept for a day. And I would lose concentration all day long. I have cope up to this by bringing extra things like tissue and alcohol. I've tried changing my diet, sleeping patterns, and exercise before going out but still it proved meaningless.

I've also tried a lot of different approach to my anxiety problems. I've stopped smoking but still it never did go away. almost 4 months would have given me a good result but none. I've tried bringing candy or other foods that could alleviate my mind in getting an anxiety disorder but still no good results.
I've tried counting when having an anxiety attacks as many blogs and articles told me but still none. I've read a lot of books about anxiety combat and how to live daily life worry free but I still cannot bring any good results. Deep Breathing and relaxation techniques are quite the same. The only thing that proved effective so far is sleeping while travelling. I have never experienced waking up with anxiety. Other methods I have read from blogs, books, articles, stomach medicines in hopes for alleviating the dreadful feeling proved ineffective for me. Even taking two stomach medicines proved useless.

Aside from travelling I also experience anxiety when I am bored and not in my room. The same degree as I am travelling. Sometimes before presentation I also experience this. Most of the time when I have my classes I also experience this. The same goes for exams. sometimes concentrating very hard on the exams would help me but most of the times it will not. Even with the amount of preparation and assurance before taking exams proved meaningless.

In short my anxiety triggers when I am outside my home. Whether it is near as long as i am outside it will trigger. If I am bored it will trigger. If I am up against exams, presentation, and activities it will trigger. I have tried many approach but to no avail. Even bringing a portable gaming console seemed meaningless as I will experience it on class. Music doesn't help also I am not really musically inclined. Lastly, I've also tried brainwave entertainment it worked at first but after a while the effects quickly dropped. Education about anxiety, and worry was pretty much ineffective. Books fall the same.

I guess with all of that I am doubtful with CBT and DBT approach. As I have tried a lot of approach before hand.

Closed Thread