TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
FlowerKiss Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Joy

what do you say at a job interview? - April 25th 2012, 02:12 AM

I have been trying so hard to get a new job and well so far I had three interviews. All of which I did not get, the first one was at a sit down restaurant it didn't work out, than there was a frozen yogurt place which I thought went great. I thought that it went great and it showed how punctuational I am because I came in early and mentioned how I loved kids ot even after someone did not show up making me look good and I even called him back but nope nothing! Than there was the ice cream place, thought it went well and when I called they acted like I was stupid for calling asking about it. Than a donut shop that would have been perfect, but I think they where actually put off by my pink hair so that was my fault but after that I have normal hair during the other ones.

I just don't know what to do with this, I mean did I do something wrong? I think I appear too fake but I feel like if I show my real self it would just be a disaster. What do you guys do overall in a job interview?
  Send a message via AIM to FlowerKiss  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: what do you say at a job interview? - April 25th 2012, 04:27 AM

I just answer questions and tell the truth.
However if my mood calls for it I just sit there jabbering on about how much I love working and am never late and a natural born leader, talking about things on their desk (like if they have a picture of their dogg I'll talk about my dog). I always get those jobs, so I guess that's the way to go.
Just make sure everything you say is true!
Dress for the job, if its a line cook job wear the cooking uniform if you have it for example.
Be early, but not too early, 5-15mins is good, usually I get there 30mins early and sit in my car until its 5 mins before.
Bring references, at least 3 professional ones if you have them.
Bring your resume, even if they have it.
Keep good posture and eye contact throughout the interview.
Keep jewellery to a minimum, wear plastic spacers if you have to. Employers often time don't value individualism.

If I think of more I'll add more.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
~Wallflower~ Offline
I've been here a while

Re: what do you say at a job interview? - April 25th 2012, 04:30 AM

Well, I guess I have the benefit in that my style is pretty mainstream. Kinda cute/skatery, about the most shocking part of my style would be the fact that I have huge boobs (so it's REALLY hard to avoid cleavage in even the slightest low cut shirts) AND I have 5 earrings (2 in my lobes, 1 in my cartilage). SO HOW you look is definitely important, pink hair or not. That being said, it isn't the centre of the universe.
I usually try to be like super casual about it. It's really hard NOT to be nervous, which interviewers know. Most people are put on the spot knowing they only have a short amount of time to impress someone. You can definitely strike up conversation and talk about something that interests both of you. They usually have a set of questions you can talk about, but if you can get around being nervous, uncomfortable etc. and chit chat a bit I think that defs helps.
And you should walk in there, say hi how are you, good handshake, the likes. Don't get discouraged by not getting a job yet. I've have unsuccessful interviews too, it happens to all of us.
HOpe that helps though

Closed Thread