TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
oldaccount Offline
I can't get enough

ROTC- your opinion? - April 29th 2012, 04:26 PM

Well, at my school we have to have one physical education credit to graduate. I originally signed up for physical wellness but I've heard the class is a living hell (I'm NOT athletic AT ALL.) So I changed one of my electives to ROTC. At my school it counts as a p.e. credit. I was just wondering if anyone here has taken ROTC and can give me their opinion. I don't really know what I'm looking for here, maybe just tell me your experiences in the class?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: ROTC- your opinion? - April 29th 2012, 11:30 PM

"ROTC" as in "Reserve Officers' Training Corps"? Since when was that just a P.E. course?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: ROTC- your opinion? - April 29th 2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSY View Post
"ROTC" as in "Reserve Officers' Training Corps"? Since when was that just a P.E. course?

It's been that way for ages

Hmmm. Honestly, ROTC seemed very boring. Every wednesday they had to wear their uniform (which seemed like a pain), had to hang the flag, lot's of after school, etc. At least that's how it was in my school.

Can't you take a normal P.E class and get it over with. At my school we had a walking class, aerobics, weight training, and regular P.E. What does your school offer?

Also. Sports. Take track, or be a manager for wrestling or basket ball. If your high school was like mine.. you could use sports to waive P.E.

If I was smart, I would have done that while on cheerleading.

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
oldaccount Offline
I can't get enough

Re: ROTC- your opinion? - April 30th 2012, 01:38 AM

Thing is, I don't like sports. I can't do them. I would take sports medicine or weight training, but physical wellness is a prerequisite to both.
And some of my friends said that you don't have to wear your uniform if it's your first time taking the class, you just have to wear your polo shirt () and you just watch videos and stuff except PT day, and then you just play dodgeball. Lol, works for me

(#5 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: ROTC- your opinion? - April 30th 2012, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow.
It's been that way for ages
Huh... you learn something new every day! I thought ROTC = the commitment to serve in exchange for a nice college scholarship. Didn't realize people could just take it as a P.E. class in high school without having to make that commitment.

Anyway, to get back on topic - I've never taken the class, but that sounds like a pretty sweet deal, considering what you want to get out of a P.E. class!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
*CatchingStars* Offline
Healing my soul
I've been here a while

Name: Corri

Re: ROTC- your opinion? - April 30th 2012, 05:57 AM

I Took ROTC and that class can be hell. It depends on the program mine was strict we win first place march in parades we try to keep our reputation. As for the PE part well theirs running push ups sit ups games depending on the choice of your first Sargent or the Sargent major. Than theirs the matching the informs. But their are positives you get in shape they teach you life lessons you meet new people at drill meets you become a family with your Platton

Life is too

Short to spend

It at war with

Yourself.

Im catching stars in the sky because I am fixing the soul within me. May it be from the heart a girl broke years ago or my soul simply repairing itself as it was shattered on my walk on this earth. May the stardust fill those cracks within my soul making me brand new, but never forgetting who I once was.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Mitch

Re: ROTC- your opinion? - April 30th 2012, 07:06 AM

Who knew High Schools could be so complicated?

We had one P.E. class: Physical Education. That was the only class revolving around P.E. They did nothing but play dodgeball. Good way to earn credits, I guess.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
oldaccount Offline
I can't get enough

Re: ROTC- your opinion? - May 1st 2012, 12:07 AM

I think depending on what semester you take the class you get AFJROTC or Aerospace Science. Maybe they're the same thing but one semester you get the Colonel and the other you get the chief. I've heard it's fun you just have strict policies.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
i'm sad to the core core core♥
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Karri

Re: ROTC- your opinion? - May 2nd 2012, 02:51 AM

I've taken Army JROTC for four years, and I absolutely loved it. It really does depend on how strict your program is (some have weekly uniform inspections, while ours are monthly), how much PT they do (in some programs it's hell/worse than PE classes from what I've heard, mine's pretty lax with PT though) and of course if you have a drill team or a rifle team or anything in your battalion and you get involved in them it makes being in JROTC so much more fun. But it's really not that bad in general, and (again, depending on what your battalion is like) it's a pretty easy PE credit.

would it be so hard to realign a star or two?

(#10 (permalink)) Old
i'm sad to the core core core♥
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Karri

Re: ROTC- your opinion? - May 2nd 2012, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSY View Post

Huh... you learn something new every day! I thought ROTC = the commitment to serve in exchange for a nice college scholarship. Didn't realize people could just take it as a P.E. class in high school without having to make that commitment.
Yeah, I think OP is talking about Junior ROTC, which is high school level/no military commitment, but straight up ROTC is college level and actual serious business, haha.

would it be so hard to realign a star or two?

(#11 (permalink)) Old
oldaccount Offline
I can't get enough

Re: ROTC- your opinion? - May 2nd 2012, 03:21 AM

Hopefully I get approved for the elective change. I don't know if I can handle a P.E. class. I'm uncoordinated, lazy, nonathletic and not popular so I make a fool out of myself every time I go to P.E.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: ROTC- your opinion? - May 2nd 2012, 10:43 AM

Yes, in high school's, it's JROTC (Junior ROTC) which is preparatory for people interested in high school and wanting to continue in college for the legit program. If you're lazy and uncoordinated, I don't think JROTC would be any better than regular gym. Can you get the credit from yoga or something more...calming? Or dance, which is fun? My school just started allowing marching band as a PE and fine arts credit, which I wish was around when I was in it, but at the same time, marching band takes up a lot of time, but you meet some cool people and it's less athletic than ROTC. ROTC is a great program, don't get me wrong, but I don't think it's a great alternative for somebody just wanting to get out of PE. It's a LOT of work, lots of working out, and lots of additional outside of school work.

In my experience, the people I know in college who do it are...crazy. They do a LOT of work, lots of running, lots of extra working out. The person I knew in high school who did JROTC was really athletic as well. It's a LOT of work.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
oldaccount Offline
I can't get enough

Re: ROTC- your opinion? - May 2nd 2012, 01:55 PM

I so wish dance was a PE credit. It's physical enough.
At my school you only have one PT day a week, so that's what I meant when I said it'd be easier than regular PE.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Koharuchan Offline
Skittles Minion
I can't get enough

Name: Haru

Re: ROTC- your opinion? - May 2nd 2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intoxication View Post
Hopefully I get approved for the elective change. I don't know if I can handle a P.E. class. I'm uncoordinated, lazy, nonathletic and not popular so I make a fool out of myself every time I go to P.E.
If that's true, you'll die in ROTC.

I never took it myself, but two of my exes took ROTC, many friends took it, and my current boyfriend takes it. Honestly, I'd go with PE. Wearing uniform each week sucks, they do lots of PT (physical training) they march, there are several strict rules to follow (for example, at my high school, you couldn't show affection to others when in uniform. No hugging, kissing, etc. You'd get in trouble.) Just a few weeks ago my boyfriend ended up on an ROTC training trip to fort Eustis, where he had to do obstacle courses all day. That kind of stuff is normal for them, doing a lot of physical stuff. So, I'd take PE if I were you. It's much easier.

I love my Big Sleepy Bear.
I still fill my panties; do YOU?
No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist. -Oscar Wilde
Buddy since 12/25/11 Self Expressions mod since 4/23/12 Helplink mentor since 5/9/12 . . . . . .Skittlify.
I was blessed by your companionship from 12/24/01-6/27/13

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Re: ROTC- your opinion? - May 2nd 2012, 05:40 PM

If you aren't athletic, ROTC isn't for you, regardless of whether it's easier or not. My boyfriend did AROTC in college, and is now a committed Army man for life. However, that's what he wanted.

JROTC might not as strenuous as regular ROTC, but when they say PT (physical training), they aren't messing around. You have to meet certain requirements during said PT, and there is even a PT test that you HAVE to pass in order to pass the class! Being a girl it's much easier to reach those requirements, but you said it yourself, you aren't athletic.

I truly believe a regular PE class would be better off for you. If you don't like the hard work, ROTC definitely isn't for you.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
oldaccount Offline
I can't get enough

Re: ROTC- your opinion? - May 2nd 2012, 11:02 PM

Okay. I won't argue with anybody because I asked for your opinion. I'll reconsider, but I'm 100% sure they only have one PT day a week. Much better than having to do physical stuff 5 days a week.

Closed Thread