TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

How to actually pass math class? >> - April 29th 2012, 07:04 PM

I'm in honors geometry. For the past two trimesters I've been able to muddle through without knowing what I was doing and pass the class with a B. With this one ONE TEST dropped my grade TWENTY percent from a 100% to an 80% and with how bad I am at math I'm bound to go even lower. And this is currently making me be on the verge of tears, to be honest, because I would have been proud of getting a 76% on that test since I really didn't get the material if it didn't drop my grade down that much.

The only option I can think of is staying after with her A LOT this trimester and I really don't want to do that.

I can't study for math. I really don't know how. It's not like I can look at notes and know.

My math teacher's shitty way of teaching is also to go from the book 99% of the time. That'd be all well and good if I could understand the book. I need other sources of learning or else I'm left stranded. And that's how I've been this year.

So, what are other ways I can actually pass math class with a B this trimester? I do all my homework as it is and get full credit just for doing it, but that's not enough for me when I consistently get almost every question on said homework wrong so it's not teaching me and test and quiz grades greatly outweigh homework grades. >>

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Muse Offline
As eloquent as an elephant.
Average Joe

Name: Jessica

Re: How to actually pass math class? >> - April 29th 2012, 10:26 PM

Hey lovebug.
I'm sorry you're struggling... geometry sucks so bad. I can't imagine being in AP! My advice is to, yes, ask your teacher for help as you need it, but maybe there's a student that could help you, too?

Or, i could do my best, depending on the topics, too. I'm always available to try, at least! I passed geometry with a decent grade and have a pretty good understand of the material.

Most of all hang in there... the course is almost over!

Take care <3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: How to actually pass math class? >> - April 29th 2012, 10:36 PM

Thank you. =) Yeah, I'll see if there's someone else who can. Most of the friends I have in that class are the ones confused with me, though. And thanks, I'll ask ya if I need it!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: How to actually pass math class? >> - April 29th 2012, 11:23 PM

I would recommend visiting a local bookstore and buying a "Geometry for Dummies" type of book... something that not only explains the concepts in a way that you can understand, but offers math problems you can do and explanations on how to solve them afterward. I've dealt with many, MANY crappy math books, so I feel your pain; however, there ARE good books out there (I don't know any titles off the top of my head - but like I said, it should provide lessons, examples problems, and how to solve those problems if you get stuck). There are also websites like this and this. You'll either have to teach yourself math, or find someone who can teach it to you (ex. a tutor) if you plan to pass this class, because it sounds like your teacher is completely useless. =P I mean, who knows, she MIGHT be much more helpful outside of the structured classroom/lesson plan... but if she's just going to point you back to the textbook, you'll have to find a better resource on your own.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: How to actually pass math class? >> - April 29th 2012, 11:25 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into getting books if she doesn't help me once I try going back for more help, because I've decided if it has to be done to salvage my grade, I'll do it. =)

(#6 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Mitch

Re: How to actually pass math class? >> - April 30th 2012, 07:14 AM

The only way to remember mathematical formulae off your head (and how to apply it) is by finding more sample questions to do. It's not easy, but the more you do it, the more you'll understand it.

When you're doing your working out, go down the page. If you get stuck, refer it to the tutorial on how to complete it. If you get the answer wrong, go back and see where you messed up (compare it to the tutorial). If you keep getting something wrong, then you're doing something wrong and often, it's only something little.

It's kinda like my aglebra class in High School (I also sucked at math): I did at least 1,000 questions on the algebraic formula, and then they throw at you another formula that would give you the same answer. I got a particular answer correct on the exam, but I failed to remember the second formula. It asked for us to use the second formula. So I got half marks by using the first. Not great, but that's what I get for doing 1,000 questions on the first formula and forgetting the second because I thought it would be unimportant.

Point is, just keep doing questions. It's pretty much the only way you'll learn. Refer it to the tutorial in the book, or ask a question to your teacher or somewhere where you know you'll find someone who can explain the steps to completing it logically.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: How to actually pass math class? >> - April 30th 2012, 07:39 PM

Sometimes textbooks aren't well-written but that's no excuse as I'm sure you're aware. There are plenty of online sites and forums dedicated to math and science, where people are volunteers and help you out. They can be quite useful or you could even ask some of your homework or tested questions on TH, as there are quite a few people who are very proficient in math. I would say to use a combination of extra resources from a book as well as online and spend extra time with your teacher. If the teacher cant help you understand the solutions, post them on here or other forums.

One study method you can try is changing the question. For example, if you're told to find a particular angle, then obviously find it so you can get your homework credit and marks. Afterward, for your own study, change the question where you have to find a different angle. Alternatively, find the answer using different solutions, if possible.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: How to actually pass math class? >> - April 30th 2012, 07:59 PM

Hey Dez,

I'm in Geometry too and I know it is tough.
I think you should try staying after with your teacher and if that doesn't help, you should see if you can get a tutor. Maybe your school has tutors in the library during the week? I know at my schools students in the NHS get some of their community service hours by tutoring students in the library during their free periods so you could try going to the library and asking about tutoring to see if they have that set up.
Also, your guidance counselor can probably link you to some useful resources and going online can really help too.
Good luck!

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#9 (permalink)) Old
TheCrowing Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Re: How to actually pass math class? >> - May 1st 2012, 04:18 AM

Khan Academy everything.

http://www.khanacademy.org/math/geometry

Most of his examples are extremely useful. Use them. There's videos for every sub section of most math courses.
I use these videos for everything from Prob and Stat and Linear Algebra to Circuits and Fluids.

"Although only breath, words which I command are immortal." Sappho

"Sometimes I feel nothing at all. Sometimes I feel everything is my fault.
Sometimes I feel the hate break my mind. Sometimes I feel they deserve it this time.
May the bridges I burn light my way." - I, Alone - Otep

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: How to actually pass math class? >> - May 1st 2012, 10:26 AM

Thanks everyone, you all had some wonderful suggestions.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Re: How to actually pass math class? >> - May 14th 2012, 04:42 AM

Ive always been a math kid, it came easy and I memorized things easily. But that didn't mean I never studied; the best way (idk if someone said this already) is repetition. Tons and tons of questions! Boring, most definitely but worth it! Also for tricky formulas think of tricks or phrases to help you. Instead of thinking of the letters and signs think of it in a sentence format (if tht works better for you) or some people make little songs or rhymes to remember! Considering your teacher is very by the book I might recommend a tutor or study group so can get different people showing u the same thin in a different way.
Hope tht helps

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: How to actually pass math class? >> - May 14th 2012, 11:45 PM

Good idea. I'll try working with others to study and do repetition.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Re: How to actually pass math class? >> - May 15th 2012, 04:11 AM

I wish you the best and hope I've helped you on the way to mathematical success

(#14 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Julia

Re: How to actually pass math class? >> - May 19th 2012, 12:15 AM

Dez, if I had a 80, I would be crying of happiness lol. I haven't had a 80 in SO long in math. Had a C all of last year, have a 70 right now. I'm crying cause im almost at a D lol. Anyways, what I do is I do go to the teacher at least once a week, ask more questions in class, ask friends for help too. I think asking friends is one of the best ways to do it because I know I personally am able to ask friends about it easier than I can with adults. Im too afraid of adults getting frustrated with me because i've experienced that too many times. A friend can usually explain it simpler too. Def. try those things=)

(#15 (permalink)) Old
anony mouse. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: How to actually pass math class? >> - June 1st 2012, 11:19 PM

If at all possible, get a tutor. I know they can be expensive but I finally got one this year (for math) and it helped so much. I actually look forward to math class now. I only see mine twice a week and it's more than enough for me, and I'm downright awful at math.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Mitch Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Mitchell

Re: How to actually pass math class? >> - June 2nd 2012, 03:01 AM

It sucks to fail maths I know, my teacher is Ukranian and even though she is a genius, her methods aren't always good for those in my class who are struggling.
I mean I am in the Academy class (10 Core Extension) and I just got a C and a D+ on the past 2 of me tests - but it's so confusing because apparently a C is actually like a B+ in the normal maths classes...

Closed Thread