TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Double Major? - May 4th 2012, 01:01 AM

So, I'm starting college in the fall and I know that I want to pursue psychology. However, I'm also interested in the sociology aspect of things. What can I say? I'm a psych nerd.

Anyways, my school makes it easier for psychology students to double major in sociology by allowing them to overlap core courses, rather than having to take core courses for each subject. But, would that really lessen the work load of a double major or would I be digging myself into a really deep, difficult hole?

Whether I choose to double major or not, I need to select a concentration under psychology. My choices are Christian Behavioral Science (it's a Christian university), Life-Span Development, Research in Psychology, Social Work, General Behavioral Science, or General Psychology. I'm not sure which of those to choose, though.

I know the decision is ultimately mine, but any advice would be really appreciated.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Double Major? - May 4th 2012, 01:13 AM

I was trying to figure this same thing out when I was about to go to uni. My advisor there told me that double majors are always difficult but if you have enough determination, perserverance, and work really hard, you'll be okay. I think that since you want to study psych, you should look into the research aspect or social work - depending on what you want to do with your degree. If you want to work with people, social work is a definite possibility; if you want to work behind the scenes, research would be best.

Hope that made sense. That's just my opinion.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Double Major? - May 4th 2012, 01:37 AM

My response will probably be biased because I HATE research Anyway, as Brit said a double major would be a lot of work, even if most of it overlaps. It really depends where you want to go with this, if you like the research aspect of human behavior and interaction go for it. If you're looking more towards counseling then research wouldn't really help you.

If you decide you don't want to double major I would declare a concentration in social work because I think you'd get the best of both worlds (studying more social aspects of psychology without a double major) I would steer away from general psych just because the name makes me think it's geared towards potential PhD.students, I'm probably wrong though. You'll have to look at the other areas and what's required to decide between them.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#4 (permalink)) Old
MidnightMay Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Double Major? - May 4th 2012, 04:03 AM

I am planning to do a double major but different majors. My advice was to look into the hours required for each major. That is the reason for my double is because Religion isn't enough hours. I also might fall into different things though. With playing softball at a D1 college I have certain set rules.

feel free to PM me...

Always keep a smile on your face and Lots of love in you heart! <3

Dont wear a mask and suffocate
take it off and breathe

Earth without ART is just EH...

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Double Major? - May 4th 2012, 06:53 AM

In my undergrad, I went a bit bonkers as I did a double major plus a minor. There was some overlap for the courses required for both majors, although I'd say about 70% of the courses didn't overlap despite the material being similar. Since my psychology was focused toward neuroscience and forensic, there was minimal overlap with courses for the minor. One thing that you may get away with for your double-major is any courses in math or statistics, as you need them if you want to pursue any research. The double-major had some overlap in terms of context for research-based courses but the courses themselves didn't overlap, so I ended up doing 4 fourth year research-based courses in total. I didn't do any research-based courses for my minor as it wasn't necessary.

If I were you, I'd talk to the professors in each field of study in psychology to get a better understanding and to know how much the material from your sociology major will overlap. In your first-year psychology course, you'll probably get a taste of many of the fields in psychology without going into immense detail.

Of the areas you listed, I would be most interest in general behaviour science as it may be more geared toward neuroscience research, as well as research in psychology as I prefer clinical research the most. General psychology sounds as though it touches on different areas without focusing on any particular one. Life-span development can be interesting, although I'd warn you that it would be one of the most popular ones.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Closed Thread