TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

View Poll Results: Do you think 24 hour schools are a good idea?
Yes 5 23.81%
Unsure 2 9.52%
No 15 71.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Amorphous. Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Hamed Khatiz

Smile School - May 7th 2012, 09:11 AM

Hey, guys, whassup. I just want to ask. Where is the hospitality in some schools these days? I stay back after school on Mondays and Fridays and everytime I leave my teachers and execs practically give me the evils LOL.

They're like "what the flip are YOU doing here?"

Apparently you are not allowed to stay back in our Department of Welfare more than half an hour, the library more than ten minutes and the entire school more than 75 minutes.

I know (from a recent traumatic personal experience) how quickly something can go horribly wrong (medically) and how crucial supervision and sighting is for someone's safety and life during a medical emergency, but flip, the defence is, it is so academically beneficial staying back after hours.

I love staying back after hours, when I am the only person (or second only person) there. When staff are not there, I am kicked out.

Today, I was planning to stay back and do a massive pile of Ancient History Homework when I'm alone in the room and everything's quiet. I hall have my music there, my gear set up next to me, I can adjust the hight of my chair, it shall be awesome.

My awesome plans were ruined when during Business Class, my teacher announced the school was closing after 1:30 today.

My question: Do you stay back after your day and do you think 24 hour schools are a good idea? Is it frustrating when you are forced to leave the school and have you ever even heard of a 24 hour school?

Hamed Khatiz.

“At times the world may seem an unfriendly and sinister place,
But believe that there is much more good in it than bad.
All you have to do is look hard enough,
And what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events may in fact be the first steps of a journey.”

~My Childhood Friend.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
MD8 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: School - May 7th 2012, 08:12 PM

Back when I was in college, i loved stay backing as it was the only time i could get things done. Found at home,etc their were to many distractions.

As for 24 hours school, I said no,simply because where i'm from most libraries, schools are open late some until 12am. They already provide enough time for studying, plus there are always other options when they close.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: School - May 8th 2012, 07:18 AM

In high-school, I sometimes stayed a bit longer after classes but the teachers or librarians would come over about every 10 minutes to encourage me to go home. I definitely would have liked to stay at school longer so I could do some homework at school, rather than try to focus during the 20-30 minute drive home.

At university, the library is open 24 hours a day on weekdays only. At 10 pm, a security guard would come around and want to see your school ID. Additionally, you could get access to labs after hours, which I did plenty of times for some 3rd year and research biology and physiology courses.

I can understand a regular high-school not being 24/7 or 24/5 since there would have to be a staff member present at all times. If no students came, the staff member couldn't leave until their shift was over, so it would be incredibly boring and dull for them. At university, a 24/5 library was possible because of rotating shifts of staff and security guards, although at later hours, fewer staff were around.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kumagoro Offline
Formerly ChaosControl
I've been here a while

Re: School - May 8th 2012, 12:52 PM

I think they're a good idea, but as you mentioned, there would need to be staff, security guards, supervision etc at all times. At uni the libraries are open until late and it's really nice to go and study when hardly anyone else is there. But I can't feel comfortable somewhere completely deserted, and I can see how it would be inconvenient to employ staff all the time. Particularly since late night studying appeals to a minority, I guess it's just easier for the school to shut after hours.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: School - May 8th 2012, 07:23 PM

In high school I took the bus and couldn't stay late which was fine because by the end of the day I couldn't wait to go home, knock out my homework, and relax. The only thing was I did like study hall because I would use it to get some of my homework done (usually whatever involved the heaviest book so I wouldn't have to carry it home).

I don't know about a 24 hour school, but I like the option of it being open early or late so if you like to work there, need a safe place away from home for awhile, or in my case forget necessary materials you can go and not get hastled. I once had my mom take me back to school because I forgot a book that I needed and it usually wasn't a problem, but the one night there was this random woman guarding the door asking every kid who walked in what they were doing there and I told her I forgot my book that I needed for homework and she gave me the death stare and told me to "be more resopnsible" like it was any of her business; she wasn't even a teacher! And it was only like the second time I'd ever gone back for something.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Cutie7519 Offline
Love & Death
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kate
Location: In my happy place, where happiness lives forever more.

Re: School - May 11th 2012, 08:20 PM

No! I don't like my school and I dreaded school for as long as I can remember, if school was open 24 hours, I would die... Plus my school doesn't hand out home-work and in my school you can't stay back because in high school you are too old for the day care there

"It's easier to run, replacing this pain with something numb, it's so much easier to go, than face all this pain here all alone."- Linkin Park, Easier to run

"When the nightmares take me, I will scream with the howling wind." Owl City, Lonely Lullaby

(#7 (permalink)) Old
George^^ Offline
Hi :D
Senior TeenHelper

Name: George

Re: School - May 12th 2012, 06:04 PM

I haven't heard of 24 hour schools before. My school is actually quite good with staying after school, I believe it stays open till around 5, but there are times when there are extra-ciriculars at 7 or 8 at night (film club was until I quited). Through I don't know why I would want to stay, the library is homework club, and generally I can do my homework (unless it's math, then I don't give a flying fuck- or french, where again I don't give a fuck) and usually our homework is stuff we didn't finish during class time anyways.- Also, I generally hate my school and can't wait to get out of it, get home, and just chill.

I've said it once, I've said it twice, I've said it a thousand fucking times
That I'm OK, that I'm fine, that it's all just in my mind
But this has got the best of me, and I can't seem to sleep
It's not 'cause you're not with me, it's cause you never leave

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Obliviate Offline
Mother of Dragons
I've been here a while

Re: School - May 12th 2012, 10:48 PM

The school day generally finishes at half two and then school clubs go on until around four. I find that an hour and half is well enough time to get studying done... Plus arriving earlier than half eight doesn't appeal to me.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: School - May 13th 2012, 12:25 AM

I only stay after my school day is up if I need extra help or something. Our school doesn't have any after school clubs but if we had any I'd be in them, I bet. I stayed after for those in middle school. But I'd hate a 24 hour school.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Chuuya Offline
I hate milk.
I can't get enough

Name: Lauren

Re: School - May 13th 2012, 12:43 AM

I think a school that stayed open that long would be awesome. I would love to stay after school, to study or something, but that is almost impossible unless you can get it done in a 20 minute period, and I can't even go to the public library here in town because of it's ungodly hours, and it would be beneficial to the students. Talking about myself here, if I have a project to type or research to do, I will probably end up on Facebook, if i'm at school I can't xD therefore I'd get more done.

"You'll have to decide for yourself. Walk on your own. Move forward. You've got a strong pair of legs, Rose. You should get up and use them."

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: School - May 13th 2012, 08:54 AM

My college stays open until like 8pm, which is enough for what most people need it for. I think 24 hours is a bit too much and it kind of encourages unhealthy habits, e.g staying up all night to work.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: School - May 13th 2012, 10:09 AM

24h is a bit too much. It's unnecessary.

Hey, guess why i smile a lot... because it's worth it

People who don't want you to think are never your friends.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: School - May 13th 2012, 10:17 AM

I don't think a 24 hour school is appropriate, I mean you are supposed to have a life. Hang out with friends, play sport, get some outside air in your veins, etcetera.

But then again, at both high-schools I attended, the library opened at 7:30am and stayed open until 5pm or later during exam season - this was fine.
At The University of Auckland, the library and the place with all the computers (can't for the life of me remember what they called it) were both open 7am - midnight, which is more than long enough.

At art school (I went to Whitecliffe College of Art and Design for a while) the library wasn't open so much but we did, in second year onwards, have key-card access to our studio space after hours, which was great because artists do a lot of their work in their studio space while they're studying.

So while your school seems a bit restrictive, the ones I attended had opening hours that were suitable for students.

Also, I never, ever in my high-school life got free periods. They were the one thing about school that I wanted but never got.

Last edited by i_like_black; May 13th 2012 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Fixing grammar error >.<

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Re: School - May 13th 2012, 03:21 PM

I think 24/7 would be a bit much.. My college's library is open from 8am-8pm Monday-Thursday and from 8am-12pm on Fridays, longer during finals week. And another building is open from 6:30am-10pm and it has an open computer lab as well as tables and chairs for study groups, etc. To me this is perfectly reasonable. I'm a morning person so I wouldn't mind if the library was open earlier, but no one else would be there so it would be a little weird.

"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine

Closed Thread