TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
PurpleMoon Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Billie

Smile Stuck On what To Do... - May 13th 2012, 09:26 PM

I wonder if you can help me...

So I donít like my college course and I want to do a different course in September but Iím stuck between Applied science and Animal care course both 2 year courses.

The Applied science in a bus ride away which can take and hour to an hour and forty five minutes, I wanted to do the course to do something in forensic science which I fine interesting but I have a difficulty which chemistry which will be a big part of the course and if it do pass I will go to university near that college.

The Animal care course which is a train ride away which will take half an hour to get there which is good and I really enjoy being around animals. And I pass that course I would go to university and do a Zoology course which will take about an hour to get too.

I donít really know what course I want to do I think Iím moving closer to doing the animal care course it seems more exciting and more to my taste but I have always thought I wanted to do forensic science.

What do you think?

One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

Memento mori - Remember you must die

Memento Vivere - Remember to live

Carpe diem - Seize the Day

ďMan cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.Ē -Andre Gide

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Spicy_ Offline
愛してる
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Stuck On what To Do... - May 14th 2012, 07:59 AM

Hey Billie,

Something that I always like to say and think is to imagine me 10 years from now. If we had to pick a career (and only one) which one could I see myself in? You said that you would enjoy a career in both Forensic Scientist and Zooologist and both of them have their own pro's and con's. Try to also think about all the pro's and con's and see which one has more pro's/less or bearable con's .

Good start would be that although the pay would be really good as a Forensic Scietist think of the extra work that would need to be done. For example taking biology courses which you find struggle on. Do you think the pay would be worth it?

Try to think things through like the above and see if it helps! Good Luck

"This is 10% Luck, 20% Skill, 15% Concentrated Power of Will, 5% Pleasure, 15% Pain; And a 100% reason to remember the name!"
Buddy/Live Help Operator/Technology and Gaming & Current Event and Debates Forum Moderator
PM/VM
  Send a message via AIM to Spicy_  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Stuck On what To Do... - May 14th 2012, 07:05 PM

There is some overlap between zoology and forensic science, particularly through forensic entomology, so you could study the two at the same time, if the courses are offered. In forensic entomology, the focus is more toward biology than chemistry. One issue some people may have with forensic entomology is you're going to have to examine dead animals up close, so you should have a strong stomach as the smell isn't all that pleasant. In zoology, you'll have to do many dissections so hopefully you already have a strong stomach.

Have you considered being a veternarian since you favour animal care?

A problem you'll probably run into is even though you would focus more on biology than chemistry, you still need some knowledge of chemistry. At my university, part of the biology/health science program requires taking a few courses in chemistry, biochemistry or pharmacology. The same is true for forensic science, so any low marks in chemistry or biology can hold you back from even being accepted.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Closed Thread