TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Omen. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Question After school? - May 15th 2012, 10:18 AM

Do you do any extra curriculum activities such as music lessons, learning a language, etc?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
EmNZ Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Em

Re: After school? - May 15th 2012, 10:44 AM

Out of school I always had piano lessons, then I taught piano (I teach now), speech and drama, which I then taught - and Chinese lessons which I failed big time.
(I also tutored many kids, and worked and danced and ran and went crazy :P )

Do you?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Edgar Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: After school? - May 15th 2012, 11:09 AM

I used to row crew in high school, which dominated the warmer months. Aside from that, mornings were my time to go for a run or to get into the gym for some exercise. Some afternoons (If I had the free time) I would sometimes go and do another bout of sports or fitness, usually a bit more of a group activity with some mates.

During the weekends I worked as a farmhand out in the rural area, which was how I funded some of my hobbies. I had a stint of tinkering with those model kit-sets (Tanks, soldiers, fighters planes and the like) which I loved a lot. I was also right into my photography, and a school teacher I was good friends with would loan me his spare camera to go out in the afternoons and nights to take photos with. I was a big fan of going into the woods and making huts and all sorts of things, very "Lord of the Flies" of me. During my older years I tried my hand at motor-racing too, but that only went for a year or so. I had the odd high-school girlfriend thrown in here and there for good measure. Basically, it was the sort of everyday shenanigans which a young man would get up to.

Enjoy it while you are young and free. It bothers me that so many young people spend their time glued to their computer screens and game consoles. There's a whole world out there to enjoy - and nobody ever looked back on their time on the Xbox and told stories about how good those days were.

Ed

(#4 (permalink)) Old
ertyuio Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: After school? - May 15th 2012, 01:30 PM

I did a variety of things after-school in my high school career. While I was in my underclassmen years, I was in the Science Olympiad and spent a considerable amount of time working on physics projects, making catapults and pendulums and such, and studying science at a more advanced level than my school taught. As I became more advanced in my math and science, I began tutoring students of virtually all levels. That continued through my senior year, but what began in my junior year was doing photography during every moment outside of school that wasn't spent tutoring or doing homework. It's a very relaxing hobby, and the reward you feel when you've produced great work is just insurmountable. Also, during my junior year, I began to work independently with a professor of mathematics at a nearby university, but that tapered off as my workload during my senior year simply didn't allow for it.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Mitch Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Mitchell

Re: After school? - May 15th 2012, 01:51 PM

I'm currently in the Air Force Cadets, do parade every Monday night with lessons taught in Aviation, Survival, Drill & Ceremonial (Yes I did Anzac Day from 3 AM till about midday and 2 school based Anzac services), Communication (hand signals + radio) & Navigation. I took an Engineering course at RAAF base Amberly during the school holidays for a week, it was part 1 of 4 but I'm not attending the rest, there is usually always a 20 something year old Warrant Officer who abuses those below his rank. Besides those course were really shit, Health & Safety was taught (ironically considering how un-safe the workshops and practices actually were.) and the hands on work was wrong, to what we do in schools - which is correct. Im quitting at the end of the year.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Omen. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: After school? - May 16th 2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahNZ View Post
Out of school I always had piano lessons, then I taught piano (I teach now), speech and drama, which I then taught - and Chinese lessons which I failed big time.
(I also tutored many kids, and worked and danced and ran and went crazy :P )

Do you?
I used to take Piano lessons as well but had to focus on school. Thinking about taking Piano Lessons again and learning a language since I'm working full time.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
George^^ Offline
Hi :D
Senior TeenHelper

Name: George

Re: After school? - May 19th 2012, 04:19 AM

No school club things, because all the interesting clubs weren't made available to me, and student council isn't running anymore, year book would mean being around a teacher I don't like overtime, choir is the same songs sung by mostly the same people over and over and over again, the guy that does improv left...

But that doesn't mean I'm FULLY a homebody. I do youth groups, which require me to do two things a month, and I'm also, at the moment, kind of a "poster child" for anti-smoking, with TV/Radio, and judging anti-smoking videos made by students all across the territories (actually, it was saying yes to something that I thought was going to be small, that snow balled into me not really being able to say no because these sounded like amazing oppertunities...)

I've said it once, I've said it twice, I've said it a thousand fucking times
That I'm OK, that I'm fine, that it's all just in my mind
But this has got the best of me, and I can't seem to sleep
It's not 'cause you're not with me, it's cause you never leave

Closed Thread