TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Zen Ryochan Offline
Love and Tolerate
Average Joe

Name: Ryan

just lost my job - May 15th 2012, 10:20 PM

I just got fired for not having my bag checked at the door. I bought somethings but because it wasnt checked at the door loss prevention sees that as stealing. So now i dont have a job... i dont know what to do... no one will hire me if they know why i got fired.

"To suspect your own mortality is to know the beginning of terror; to learn irrefutably that you are mortal is to know the end of terror." -Frank Herbert

“To love our enemy is impossible. The moment we understand our enemy, we feel compassion towards him or her, and he or she is no longer our enemy.” ~Thich Nhat Hanh

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Dervisher Offline
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Re: just lost my job - May 16th 2012, 08:06 PM

Well from the way you described it, it isn't a big deal.

So if an employer does ask (which i'm not even sure if they're allowed to see if you were fired or not. Probably are) you simply explain in the most informal way. So exlain that door loss prevention fired you due to the fact you forgot to have your bag checked out at the door because you forgot. I don't really see the problem here since they should have better methods to check your bags, if you can simply walk out the door willy nilly (which kind of shows right there that their method for checking is extremely poor)

So it's more of a fault of the company than your own. I think them firing you because of it just shows how incompetent some of the people are who run businesses.It's mind boggling at times how some companies are allowed to thrive with some of the methods they consider alright to do.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Zen Ryochan Offline
Love and Tolerate
Average Joe

Re: just lost my job - May 16th 2012, 08:50 PM

Agreed. Their policies are amazingly bad. To get a bag check you have to find an employee to come to the door with you and open your bag so the camera sees them look inside. Completely useless policy honestly. The looking employee doesnt know what you bought.

"To suspect your own mortality is to know the beginning of terror; to learn irrefutably that you are mortal is to know the end of terror." -Frank Herbert

“To love our enemy is impossible. The moment we understand our enemy, we feel compassion towards him or her, and he or she is no longer our enemy.” ~Thich Nhat Hanh

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Maverick. Offline
Deep Thinker
I've been here a while

Name: Anthony

Re: just lost my job - May 17th 2012, 05:46 PM

Just accept it and keep on moving. Things happen for a reason. Companies have the right to fire anyone at anytime for no apparent reason at all.

Forget them, you'll find an even better job.

You've had a landscaper and a house keeper since you were born
The sunshine always kept you warm.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: just lost my job - May 17th 2012, 06:02 PM

Losing a job is tough. And it's freaking annoying if it's over a dumb reason. I was fired form the my very first job for not wearing a white tank top under my work shirt. I wore a light gray one. But I had to accept getting fired because there was literally nothing I could do about it.

Since then, I've had three jobs. I put them on my job apps and when people asked about it.. I told them the truth. What happened to you wasn't a big deal. You weren't actually stealing. When you apply for jobs in the future, you can either put this job on the app or not. The lovely thing is, you don't HAVE TO put it on the application.

But all in all, a job is a job. There are plenty out there. And if the policies at this one were dumb.. then why get mad/sad over it. You're probably a great worker. Just continue to move forward and learn from this.

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: just lost my job - May 17th 2012, 11:41 PM

I agree with Dervisher - when future employers ask why you were fired, explain that it's company policy to check your bag at the door, and you forgot to do it one time. Keep it simple (the lengthier your explanation, the more desperate/suspicious you'll seem), and don't blame the company (not only will it make you seem like a complainer, but it's really not necessary - anyone with half a brain can figure out that the company has a lame policy).

Is there someone at the company that would be willing to provide a letter of recommendation? If so, I would go ahead and obtain one, then make copies for every job you interview for. The copy of the letter would be offered in place of providing a phone number and granting the future employer permission to call your former employer. Depending on what kind of company you worked for, there could be a high turnover rate for managers/supervisors. Therefore, if a future employers calls the company several months/years from now, there may not be anyone who remembers the situation and can explain that you didn't actually commit any crimes. All they will have is a record/document of some kind - and there may or may not be details explaining what really happened. That could work against you, if the former or future company fill in the gaps and assume the worst (you tried to steal/shoplift items).

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Steph0818 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: just lost my job - May 18th 2012, 02:47 AM

try to find another one and make a promise to yourself that you will abide by all rules

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Zen Ryochan Offline
Love and Tolerate
Average Joe

Re: just lost my job - May 18th 2012, 09:24 PM

Problem really is i live on my own so not having a job right now is really bad. And i was told i would not be getting a good reference from this job just because of this.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: just lost my job - May 18th 2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Ryochan View Post
Problem really is i live on my own so not having a job right now is really bad. And i was told i would not be getting a good reference from this job just because of this.
Who said you wouldn't be getting a good reference? The manager? A supervisor? If there are multiple supervisors, I would approach one of them (when you don't see the manager/supervisor who said that around) and give them a piece of paper with your phone number and e-mail address. Ask if they would be willing to write a letter of recommendation for you, and offer to buy them lunch/coffee in return. If they refuse to comment on your work performance, ask if they can at least comment on your character (ex. you're a good guy), as being fired doesn't necessarily have anything to do with that.

Unfortunately, it's unlikely that you'll be able to receive unemployment benefits (that's generally for when people are laid off, not fired); however, it couldn't hurt to go online, print out the appropriate forms, and mail them for a government agency to review. Worst-case-scenario, the agency denies you, and you're no worse off than you were before. What may be more helpful are the various government programs and non-profit organizations that offer services such as food stamps, low-cost housing, career services/temporary job listings, etc. Goodwill would be a good place to start, and I'd do some more research to see what's in your area.

Needless to say, comb through the newspaper's classified ads section every single day, as well as websites' job listings, and spend every spare second of your day filling out applications. When you're not looking through ads and listings, go to stores/businesses in the area with a resume in hand, talk to the manager/supervisor, and ask if they are hiring or looking to hire within the next month. When I was looking for a job last summer, I was literally spending 8 hours/day searching for jobs and filling out applications. Out of the hundreds I applied for, only 3 responded in a decent amount of time. You will need to be very, VERY persistent if you want to get a job before your situation becomes more dire.

Closed Thread