TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Spikey Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Molly

ARGH!!! - May 21st 2012, 10:24 AM

Don't know if this goes here, but I'm putting it here, move it if need be.

So, for my Childcare Learning and Development BTEC Level 3 course, I have to do a research project. I'm doing this research project on whether a child's diagnosis helps or hinders them. I've got what I'm doing and am doing my primary research, which is the research I find, but am having trouble with the secondary research, which is research that other people have found.

I hate doing research, all I do is get confused and annoyed because I can't find anything!!

I google stuff, but all that comes up is a load of rubbish! I have to use a reliable website, but all I can find is articles on it that has no references!!!

ARGH!!!!!!!! I HATE RESEARCH!!!!

I just don't know what to do about it and I just needed a rant.

I feel slightly better now, but not good enough to attempt it, stupid research!!

Thanks,
RosieJ

And she turns up the music, to drown out her life.

22/12/2014 was the last date I self-harmed. The longest I have gone so far is 1 year, 2 months and 5 days. This time, I hope I can give up! New record: 1 year 6 months! Yay!!
Previously:
Kibska

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: ARGH!!! - May 22nd 2012, 06:12 PM

I hear you - research can be incredibly frustrating to sift through!

First, instead of the regular Google search, I would give the Google Scholar search a shot:
http://scholar.google.com/

Second, I would go to your school's/university's library and ask them about online journal databases they have subscribed to. At my university, you can go to the library and search through scholarly/research journals for articles. Normally, you would have to pay for a subscription, but because the university pays for the subscription, you should be able to view the articles in their entirety (vs. just the abstract) and use that for your research.

Finally, there's the old-fashioned way: going to a library and cracking open a book on the subject you're interested in. That's obviously more time-consuming and less convenient, but if you don't have any success via the internet search or databases, I'd resort to physical books containing the research that's relevant to you.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Spikey Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: ARGH!!! - May 22nd 2012, 06:48 PM

Yeah, I tried Google Scholar, but all I saw was a bunch of blue and black words!!

We've got magazines and stuff about Childcare in school, but whether those will be up to date, I don't know.

And our library sucks!!! It's a school libary because I'm in the sixth form, which is an extension of the school which you can go to instead of college.

Normally when I try to do research of any sort I get stressed, annoyed and upset and just cry and think 'screw it, if I fail then I fail. So what?' Which isnt a good outlook to have, but I don't know how to make research any less stressful.

Any ideas on how to lessen the stress?

Thanks,
RosieJ

22/12/2014 was the last date I self-harmed. The longest I have gone so far is 1 year, 2 months and 5 days. This time, I hope I can give up! New record: 1 year 6 months! Yay!!
Previously:
Kibska

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Re: ARGH!!! - May 22nd 2012, 08:04 PM

I am a research addict so I wish I could share some of my college library's resources with you! Maybe start with some reputable online sources, instead of using google? Search engines can get frustrating because it's hard to sift through pseudoscience and puff articles to find peer-reviewed journals and such.

I've used http://www.ipl.org/ before and haven't regretted it. You can browse, or you can search for a website and see if the source is trusted. Databases like this have been an absolute godsend for me. You can also limit your Google searches to .edu websites, so that you know that your sources will all be scholarly.

Other than that, see if your school library has any online resources that you haven't tapped into yet. InfoTrac is a wonderful resource if your school offers it.

Best of luck!

"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Spikey Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: ARGH!!! - May 23rd 2012, 11:11 AM

Ok. Thank both of you for your advice!!!

I'll try it and see how it goes.

RosieJ

Previously:
Kibska

Closed Thread