TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
mrhomeless Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Post Coping With Stress In Exams - June 1st 2012, 12:30 PM

So Im new at my school this term and we had our half yearly exams 2 weeks ago.

I got my marks back for the maths exam and It was the first exam that I have ever failed. I knew how to do the questions. I knew all the work that was in the exam and I went out of the exam thinking that I had done well. However I did notice that I was shaking like crazy in the exam and I think it was because of stress and pressure.

Most of the questions that I got wrong were just because I copied the numbers incorrectly when I was doing the exam. I even missed a whole page of questions.

What Im asking is, does anyone have effective ways of managing stress in exams, maybe its just because its my first term at a new school.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
anony mouse. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Coping With Stress In Exams - June 1st 2012, 11:14 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your exam. I have really bad test anxiety too and my tutor told me that I should give myself positive affirmations before, after and during the exam. If you go into it telling yourself that you're dumb and you're going to fail it, chances are you will fail it. Not because you don't know the material, like you said, but because you're too nervous to pay attention. Tell yourself 'I know the material for this exam, I've done this many times, I can do this' even if you don't believe it. If the anxiety is really bad, you can go to your doctor and see if he can prescribe you something to calm you down. Breathe deeply and try to think of the test as just another homework assignment. Chances are, the questions aren't going to be a whole lot harder than what you've been doing. Is there any chance of you retaking this particular exam to boost your grade? It sounds like it might be worth looking into.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Coping With Stress In Exams - June 2nd 2012, 01:54 AM

Hello, and welcome to TeenHelp!

How were you on time after the exam? Meaning, did you use up every single minute while taking the exam, or did you end up having spare time at the end? If it's the former, disregard what I'm going to say below.

I used to make a lot of stupid mistakes on exams. Like you, I knew the material, so that wasn't the issue. The problem is that I'd miss something important or misread something in a word problem, or I'd accidentally copy down a wrong number, or something else very simple and infuriating. What really helped me was slowing down... taking the extra time to thoroughly read the problem and work it out. I would also go back and double-check the problems once I was done with the exams - not just the answers, but the entire problem and how I worked it out. I would catch so many errors simply by slowing down, and it also helped my nerves. I could look at the test and think, "Okay, there are 30 problems, and I have 2 hours... that means I have 4 minutes for each problem, and it only takes me about 2 minutes to work out each problem. I can take my time answering these, so let's make sure I do it right the first time."

Like Cheyenne said, it might be worth talking to your instructor and going over the test. Once they see that you really were on the right track with all these problems (but you just wrote down the wrong answer at the very end), they may be willing to give you partial credit for some of the problems, or allow you to re-take the exam. At the very least, you can ask for assistance, such as being allowed to test in a separate room, being allowed to have more time for exams, etc. Hopefully, this really is just a one-time thing, since you're new to the school and its testing style. =)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
mrhomeless Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Coping With Stress In Exams - June 2nd 2012, 01:01 PM

Thanks for the tips, I also wanted to add that I am not a fast worker, so I finished the last question in the last few seconds of the exam. When I work fast, like I said I make mistakes.

Unfortunately Retaking the test is most likely not a possibility.

Also, any tips on how to tell my dad that I failed? I mean to before the reports come but whenever I'm about to I get too nervous and stay silent.

Closed Thread