TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Grey Wind Offline
Average Joe

University - June 6th 2012, 12:04 AM

My entire goal of last, and this year has been to upgrade my Grade 12 marks and to get into University. I did it though an adult day school and finished my courses by the end of May. I had an 87% average, which I thought was pretty good, considering I was a 50% average student in high school. I've been dealing with depression and anxiety issues since last year, and the hope for University in the fall of 2012 has literally been the only thing keeping me going every day.

I applied KINDA late, end of January. The courses needed low to mid 70s, and my top choice needed an 84%. I got accepted to my 3rd choice a few weeks ago, but it was just a spot to fill - I didn't actually want to go there. The offer expired June 1st, and I really don't know what to do. I kind of know its already too late to expect an offer from my other two choices - one of which I REALLY wanted to go to. I mean, should I even still expect an offer? It's already the start of freaking June?

My top choice, they lost my transcript which I sent, and it did take a long time to clear it up. I sent it by express and tracked it, and after speaking to an admissions officer, got it cleared up a few weeks after the 'recommended submission date'.

A huge reason why I wanted to go to University was to get away from home. With the problems with my family, I'm surprised I lasted to 19. My last choice, its so close to where I live that I'd have to commute. My top choice is hours away where I could have had residence, which is like a dream to me as opposed to home.

My mom keeps telling me to just accept the other offer to Uni, but I can't even bring myself to tell her that its already expired because I was waiting on my other choice for so long. Not to mention I don't even want to go there... I feel like this whole year has been me striving to maintain a high average so I could attend the school I want. I did that, and I still didn't get in? Now not only was that all for nothing, but I have to wait a whole year before I can apply again? I just don't understand why I didn't get accepted, or if I should expect it.

Last edited by Grey Wind; June 6th 2012 at 12:18 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
NoName12 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: University - June 6th 2012, 02:44 AM

I'm going to assume that you're a Canadian student (just by the way you use percentage grades and the terms "grade twelve" and "university"). I'm Canadian too. I know quite a lot about Canadian universities, so if you want to PM me, feel free to do so and I could help you a little more specifically.

With regards to what's happening now, I don't necessarily think it's too late to receive an acceptance from your first and second choice universities. Again, it's hard to tell without knowing which schools they are. There are some universities that are undoubtedly full by now but there are others that aren't. If I knew the specific schools you are talking about, I could probably be of more assistance.

If university doesn't work out for Fall 2012 entry, why not wait a bit more and re-apply? Some universities will accept students starting in January 2013 - and I assure you that the deadline has not passed for January entry yet. If the university you want to attend does not accept students for January start, wait until next year. Apply for September 2013 start. I know it might seem like a long way away but at the end of the day, you need your education. Spending an extra few years in university/graduating later than the norm is really not a big deal in the long-run. You could work, save up money, and be ready to attack university in Fall 2013.

I know it's a pain and probably not an ideal situation but it could be much worse. Like I said, a couple of years won't matter much in the long-run. It's imperative, though, that you attend a university and program that you genuinely enjoy. If you don't, you'll be miserable. Trust me. I've seen way too many people drop out/transfer/change programs numerous times because they just don't know what they want.

If you know what exactly it is that you want to study and moreover, what you want to do as a career, you're already ten steps ahead of the average university student. I just finished my second year of undergraduate school and am just solidifying my education/career plans. Most of my friends still have no idea about what they want to do.

Keep at it and even if you have to wait another year, make sure you go somewhere you really want to go.

First impressions last. Start behind the eight ball and you'll never get in front.

Closed Thread