TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

Jeez, get a life!

Looking for a job... - June 8th 2012, 01:06 PM

Here is a random question I'll just throw out there:

When you were all looking for jobs how did you all find out about job openings? Did you just call around to different stores and ask, did you find out online, did you do a little of both? I know there are some places that you can look online for job openings and all of that but if anyone can give me a few pointers I would be more than happy to listen. I have been calling around to a few places that I feel comfortable with but I am starting to want to broaden my horizens a little bit more so any and all help would be appreciated. Meh and if this makes no sense feel free to ignore it

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Robin

Re: Looking for a job... - June 8th 2012, 05:44 PM

I've been most successful with visiting stores and asking to speak to the supervisor/manager about job openings. Sometimes, they will tell me to go to their website and apply, but at least they'll have a name and face in mind when they receive my application (which I think is a bonus - you're not just another person lost in the crowd of applicants).

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Mindyy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Mindy

Re: Looking for a job... - June 8th 2012, 07:20 PM

snagajob.com usually lists openings for retail, restaurants, etc in your area. But I would recommend applying in person because most of the time if you apply online, you don't hear back from them. And if you're applying to a well-known company, you can always look on websites like glassdoor.com and they give you examples of interview questions so that you can prepare.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Tegan Offline
Make a wish...
I've been here a while

Name: Tegan

Re: Looking for a job... - June 8th 2012, 11:11 PM

I'm not sure if this is the same in America but over here in England we have job openings listed in the paper? I looked in my local newspaper and started calling people who were looking for part time jobs and luckily I got a job!
My sister started handing out her CV at different restaurants and one of the people she gave it to actually passed it on to another restaurant who they knew were hiring and they gave her a ring!
Be persistent and don't let it get you down if at first things don't go your way, make sure you've got a good CV and prepare a few obvious things in case you get interviewed (why you'd be good at the job etc.) Good Luck!!

You are the one, the one who lies next to me,
Whispers "hello, I missed you quite terribly"

Send a message via AIM to Tegan Send a message via Skype™ to Tegan 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
George^^ Offline
Hi :D
I've been here a while

Name: George

Re: Looking for a job... - June 9th 2012, 04:27 AM

I usually see postings up on the walls of the stores here, or on the doors. Besides, it seems like there are constantly people talking about how they got a resume for this store and then they ask the people that work there already stuff. - I only know that because I was considering a formal job, through I gave up on that idea quickly.

I've said it once, I've said it twice, I've said it a thousand fucking times
That I'm OK, that I'm fine, that it's all just in my mind
But this has got the best of me, and I can't seem to sleep
It's not 'cause you're not with me, it's cause you never leave

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Looking for a job... - June 10th 2012, 05:37 AM

I do a combination of looking on various online job websites, such as Workopolis and Monster, as well as browsing around in-person. I try to apply to job categories I have experience in, such as healthcare, cooking and manual labour. I print off around 30 copies of my resume and drive from store to store or restaurant to restaurant, sometimes randomly, other times to places I looked up online. If I see a place I'm interested in or that indicates they're hiring, I quickly go to their site to see how they want applications. As a rule of thumb, small places that aren't chains will generally take in-person applications or simply a resume.

I may also attach a CV detailing my scientific background as well as awards I've won (academic and non-academic). I've found that together with in-person applications (if desired by the company) can make me stand out from the rest of the other applicants. Be sure to note if you earned any certifications no matter how small they may be. If you're applying for an entry-level job (which I assume you are), you're not expected to have a lot of experience, so if you're asked what experience you have, tell them although you don't have any direct experience, you have experience through previous jobs or volunteering that can prepare you.

Also, try to think of some interview answers to basic questions. For example, when I applied in-person to a restaurant a few years ago, the co-owner/chef took me aside and gave me a battery of verbal questions, such as, "why do you want to work at ____", "what skills can you bring to the table that make you an asset", "would you be able to work as a ____ given your experience" and so forth. After answering them, he took my resume and a week later I got a phone call saying if I'm hired if I want the job, start today. During the summer, I applied to a different restaurant in-person that was advertising they needed employees as it was a fairly new establishment. Since it wasn't very busy at the time, the chef allowed me to work in the kitchen as a trial run to see if I could handle myself. It wasn't anything complex but he was impressed enough to hire me.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Masquerade. Offline
C'est la vie. ♥

I can't get enough

Name: Sammi

Re: Looking for a job... - June 10th 2012, 06:39 AM

I'm job hunting right now and snagajob.com has been insanely helpful for me. All you really need to do is enter your zip code and it'll give you a list of places in your area that are hiring. However, nothing beats in-person! Once I get my car fixed, I'll be visiting different stores/restaurants to speak to managers/supervisors about potential jobs.

Buddy|Forum Moderator|Performance Committee
Articles Team|Social Networking Team|Newsletter Editor

(#8 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

Jeez, get a life!

Re: Looking for a job... - June 10th 2012, 08:32 AM

Thank you guys so very much!

Closed Thread