TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Heathen Offline
Beauty and Bedlam
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

Complicated job situation, need advice - June 13th 2012, 06:44 PM

This summer I started my first job ever. It's a sales job and it takes place out on the street. The first few days I loved it, and everything was wonderful; I work with the most awesome people imaginable, everyone's really laid back, and it's something really worth doing in my eyes.

But then I began to not love it so much.

What gets me is the quota. It IS a sales job and therefore there is a quota to keep your job. In the first three days I had to meet quota (let's say it's 140 bucks) to become a member of staff. I made it, of course, so that was fine. But then the days can be hit or miss. Perhaps one day I would make 300 dollars, but then I might make 10 the next day, and only 75 the day after that. That's fine as long as I my daily average amounts to 140 dollars at the end of the week. With me so far?

If at the end of a week I do not average 140 dollars a day, I am put on probation. The following week I would have to make quota for the week or else I would get fired.

This began to take a real toll on me. Some days I made quota, and it was great, but then I would have days where I didn't, and they would start to add up. And I would start to get stressed. It got to where if I wasn't getting any takers around one-thirty I would start to panic. I would start to tear up. One day I finally had a full blown anxiety attack and had to go home.

And I was doing everything I could. Seriously, I could not name ONE thing I could do any better. I pride myself on my work a lot and put 100% into it, always. But slowly the struggle to meet quota, the heat (I live in Texas, and where I am it can get up to about 115 degrees F in the summer) and everything else was getting to me.

In the end I got really sick. Last week I missed the entire work week. I thought I would be fine to go back to work this week, but in the heat the other day I started to get so dizzy I knew I would pass out if I didn't sit down. I ended up getting one of my "stress colds," which I have right now.

So I began looking for other jobs, because I am not going to last the summer. I am going to quit at some point. I feel bad because I don't want it to look like I keep taking off work right when I am on probation, because that's not it. But I am looking for other jobs.

Today I got an interview somewhere else. It would be working in food and beverage if I were to get the job. I am pretty certain I will get it, but even if I don't, I am actively looking.

The thing is, people say the best time to look for a job is while you have one. I know this is true, and that's why I am technically still working, even though I just keep getting sick from a bug or the heat or I don't even know. It causes massive anxiety to work where I am working.

I'm just wondering what to do. I know you shouldn't necessarily take the first job you are given. And I know that you should try and keep working while you are looking. But I don't even know what to do. I am so tempted to quit now because that heat kills me. I can't stand out in it for forty hours a week. But at the same time, I stay at my best when I am really busy. And even if it's fast food, an indoor job where people already want service seems like a better opportunity. I would be very tempted to immediately take it.

Any advice?

The moon asked the crow
For a little show
In the hazy milk of twilight
No one had to know
The moon asked the crow...
  Send a message via Yahoo to Heathen  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Heathen Offline
Beauty and Bedlam
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Complicated job situation, need advice - June 14th 2012, 09:28 PM

UPDATE:

I went to the interview and it went really well. I was basically told I have the job as long as my references and background check clear (which they will). I plan to take the job if it is offered. I'm not entirely certain if it's best to take it or keep looking around for a while, but I think I am going to go with it.

My next question is now this: Technically I am still employed with my company, although I have been so sick lately I really haven't worked much in two weeks. However, right now I am on review. As I pointed out earlier that means I have a limited time to prove I can make quota or else I am dismissed.

In my mind, quitting looks better than getting fired, just sayin'. My question now is do I quite while I am ahead, so to speak, or keep working?

I plan to go into work tomorrow. If I choose to quit I believe I will quit tomorrow. However, if anyone has input, I would like to hear it.

The moon asked the crow
For a little show
No one had to know
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Complicated job situation, need advice - June 15th 2012, 02:33 AM

I feel like quitting (for a position better suited to you) would look better than being fired (for being unable to meet the requirements). Don't quit until you've signed the paperwork with the new company, though! If it gets to a point where the company you're currently with is saying, "We're going to fire you in two days if you can't meet the requirements," THEN I would think it's better to quit and risk being unemployed for a few days, than to wait around for the inevitable.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Heathen Offline
Beauty and Bedlam
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Complicated job situation, need advice - June 15th 2012, 08:00 AM

I formally request that this thread be closed.

The moon asked the crow
For a little show
No one had to know
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Complicated job situation, need advice - June 22nd 2012, 03:08 AM

Since the issue has been resolved (or so I'm assuming), I'll close your thread. =)

Closed Thread