TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Sistrurus Offline
Herpetologist in training
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Josh

looking at degrees and careers? - June 14th 2012, 04:57 AM

Alright so here's the thing is I had been wanting to technology for a really long time, but i changed my mind about last year, I have really started wanting to work with animals, and reptiles especially which i know is a hard thing to get into i do a lot of research and know a lot about reptiles especially. I have been trying to think of jobs and everything i can do but its hard to think of some and find some, i'm mostly wanting to live in the countryish so that makes it harder like thirty-45 minutes from the city. I had thought about reptile breeding which i would LOVE but i just don't see that being that practical. I would like to open a pet store, and breed everything myself, the animals (leopard geckos, bearded dragons, king snake, ball python, corn snake, possibly iguana, possibly chinese water dragon, crested gecko, green tree python, gaboon viper, maybe some dogs like Siberian huskies ), the feeders (mice, rabbits, rats, hamsters, crickets, meal worms, roaches ) and maybe even sell some of those too as pets other then just feeders. I just don't know how practical this or if thats even a good idea. I had thought about going to college to get a masters in biology and then go to graduate school to get my PHD in herpetology which is the study of reptiles and amphibians or getting a BS or masters in genetics. Again though i just don't know how practical that sounds, and if there is better things i could do etc. I mean honestly how many people hire people with a degree in herpetology? so what are some careers, degrees and all that i should look into? classes to take in high school? I would like to make decent money aswell, should i just look at a whole nother set of things like technology again even though animals is what i want to do the most?

<3 ‎"I'll never let you fall, I'll stand up with you forever. i'll be there through it all" <3

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: looking at degrees and careers? - June 14th 2012, 07:18 PM

Would you have an interest in combining herpetology with toxicology? This could be useful not only for various biotechnological purposes, but also for forensic, clinical and to an extent, pharmaceuticals. To give an example, ziconotide is a fairly recently discovered pain killer that along with a few others, works by suppressing calcium channels in the body. This was inspired by the predatory Conus magus snail, which secretes a particular neurotoxin of the conotoxin family.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Sistrurus Offline
Herpetologist in training
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Josh

Re: looking at degrees and careers? - June 15th 2012, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
Would you have an interest in combining herpetology with toxicology? This could be useful not only for various biotechnological purposes, but also for forensic, clinical and to an extent, pharmaceuticals. To give an example, ziconotide is a fairly recently discovered pain killer that along with a few others, works by suppressing calcium channels in the body. This was inspired by the predatory Conus magus snail, which secretes a particular neurotoxin of the conotoxin family.
that is an interesting thing i will look into that, i was looking into an exotics animal vet earlier but from what i seen they only made $55-75k / year and thats for 8 years of school and a year of internships and i don't know if that's really worth it 0.o

<3 ‎"I'll never let you fall, I'll stand up with you forever. i'll be there through it all" <3

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: looking at degrees and careers? - June 16th 2012, 04:01 PM

You could always consider a masters or something in zoology, cause then you could work for a zoo or wild life rehab place or something

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: looking at degrees and careers? - June 17th 2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumble bee View Post
You could always consider a masters or something in zoology, cause then you could work for a zoo or wild life rehab place or something
Despite having the same prefix, zoology and zookeepers aren't the same thing.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: looking at degrees and careers? - June 17th 2012, 08:27 PM

I know that.... But you could easily get experience cause a lot of zoos deal with like habitats for animals, some of them do wildlife preservation stuff... I don't mean the zoo keeping stuff

Closed Thread