TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
metalheadjessus Offline
Average Joe

BSc Motorsport Technology ... for a girl. - June 22nd 2012, 04:10 PM

It's that time in my life where I soon have to begin the process of applying to universities. I've been looking for a couple of years for potential courses and had no clue ... until I suggested mechanics. Now, i'm no good at talking to people about things and so I doubt i'd be much use in an office/ corporate environment and so I was thinking of something more practical. That's when my friend found a course for motorsport technology. It's a bachelor of science and teaches a range of things varying between maths, physics, mechanics, design, computer skills, programming, oils, materials and career mapping. I was thinking that even if I were going to end up in a completely unrelated field it would still look impressive as it offers all of those skills, I could be wrong and please tell me if I am! Does this sound like a good idea? Also, being a girl I may be the only female on the course. This is an area of interest for me, however I have little by way of experience in the field which may not be too much of an issue because grades and enthusiasm alone, according to the university, are enough to gain a place. Does anyone have any advice, encouragements or discouragements? Any help at all would be extremely appreciated. Cheers, Jess x

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Mitch Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Mitchell

Re: BSc Motorsport Technology ... for a girl. - June 22nd 2012, 04:37 PM

Well getting a degree in Physics or mechanical engineering can be very rewarding. For example, I in many years time, want to study Fluid Dynamics, but in doing so, I will have freedom over a range of industries including Motorsport design teams, aircraft/spacecraft/rockets/missiles/turbine engines and boat design. Such knowledge in this area would be invaluable to all of these teams and their products. As you said, there is such a wide range of career choices in the automotive industry alone so you should choose the one that interests you most.
For me, I find the mechanics of fluids (water/liquid & air) a very interesting subject, as it really defines many car designs and without it, we wouldn't have aircraft that fly efficiently as they do today. I was also thinking about becoming a materials engineer and that would involve mechanics and chemistry I imagine. It would be so cool to be the one who discovered/manufactured a new metal alloy or mesh that say, Rolls-Royce wants to build their Turbine blades out of, being light as a feather but 5 times the strength of steel and double the melting point.
Get to talk to some professionals in the industry and try and get work experience or tours, it will really help when trying to choose what area interests you most.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
survivor. :)
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Re: BSc Motorsport Technology ... for a girl. - June 22nd 2012, 05:49 PM

Hi there Jess

I recently went through the "applying to uni" stage and have just completed my first year. I had a hell of a time deciding what to do so I hope I can be of some help to you!

Talking about the course and the combination of subjects that the course involves, I don't think you would have a problem transferring to a different career path/area of work. You will gain many transferrable skills which will be desirable in many areas of work and they are extremely valued by employers. So with regards to that, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Also - I seriously doubt you will be the only girl on the course. It's possible, but unlikely. I would expect there to be a few girls, not as many girls as guys though. But then that depends what country you are in and where you study this degree as both factors will affect the number of girls on the course.

Would it be possible for you to get some experience in that area? Even if it's only telephone interviews, visits, anything like that? That could confirm that you enjoy/are interested in the area and that you would like to carry it on and you can also mention it to your university. Are you predicted the right grades? Also, have a look at the syllabus for the first year and read around some of the subjects there - that again may confirm your interest in the subject. If you are interviewed it's important to have something to talk about, so try and make sure you know some stuff.

Could you have a talk with someone at your school - a form tutor, teacher, careers advisor? They are all there to help you and support you through your application and they will also know what your strengths and weaknesses are so will be able to advise you a bit more.

I think, if you want to do it, then go for it! It sounds awesome and if its what you want to do, then go for it

Take care and let me know if I can be anymore help!
Anna

You have to have the negative things in life
to be able to appreciate the positives.
TG 05/04/2013

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: BSc Motorsport Technology ... for a girl. - June 22nd 2012, 10:32 PM

I have my HBSc from university, so I'll try to shed some insight. I know very little about motor technology, however, if it's something you want to do and can see yourself enjoying, then by all means go for it. You should consider your current abilities in the areas you mentioned. For example, if your marks in math and physics are low, and you're poor with mechanics and computer programming, you'll probably find the courses extremely challenging and not as enjoyable. It's fine if you don't already have experience in all of the listed fields.

I haven't found much success with career or guidance counselors, so I'd suggest talking with the instructors or professors, as they would be able to provide ample information about the courses, students' backgrounds relative to their performance, ratio of males : females, etc... .

I wouldn't worry about the amount of female students in the courses. It's best to form study groups and I often studied with males and females.

Try looking around at various employment websites to see the backgrounds they desire. Don't look for senior, supervisory or management positions because they'll all require more experience that you lack. Instead, look for entry-level or perhaps even junior-level positions.

You may find that many companies want additional licenses or certifications on top of a BSc. Normally these are very brief courses you can take at a community college or your university may also offer them. Even if you decide to go into another field of study, having such certifications always looks very good on the resume and can verify some skill sets you mention. For example, if you mention a strong knowledge in computer programming for large-scale machinery, the certification can serve to show the employer you indeed have the knowledge and probably some experience.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: BSc Motorsport Technology ... for a girl. - June 22nd 2012, 10:36 PM

I strongly suggest you look into the practicality of any degree course you choose with respect to what jobs are available at the end of the line, and how easy those jobs are to get. Do some research into individual companies you might want to target in the future. Plan ahead.

Lots of people merely choose a course with subjects they "like" and then get bummed out at the end of their studies because no employer is interested in them... even if they have a relatively good grade.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Closed Thread