TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BubblyBabyBlue Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Storm

Question Can I have these careers at the same time? - June 28th 2012, 12:56 AM

I always have been fascinated by weather as far as I remember. I want to be a meteorologist when I grow up and I am going to a very good science and math high school but now I also wanna become an actress at the same time. So I am practicing by myself to get better at acting. I was wondering if it is possible to become a meteorologist and an actress at the same time? And also if possible, can I have more interest about meteorologists please like salaries and your opinions. Thanx!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Can I have these careers at the same time? - June 28th 2012, 01:45 AM

Well, being a meteorologist would definitely be interesting. Salaries would depend on state, province, country etc, which is all Google-able. You can also Google which schools will offer the programs (geography, meteorology, astrology) and find out if they have masters degrees for it, and you can usually email the head of department at those schools (preferably the academic advisors I mean, NOT the dean haha) and let them know you are X old and in X grade and this is what you wanna do, and that you are hoping to find out more about programs, and career paths, and even if they don't have the info, they can direct you to someone who would.

And yes, I do think you could be a meteorologist AND an actress. Though, it depends whether you want to do it professionally or not, but you COULD do hobby acting, lots of schools, college and university, have drama departments, and if yours doesn't then lots of cities/towns have a theatre thing, some more prestigious than others, so you could try out for plays there, and just do minor hobby acting roles, and if you ever wanted to take it more seriously and get a TV typed role or do broadway, then you definitely could take that step, since you could always quit a job (or work part time or what ever else, it would depend), and do the TV role, then get another job later if need be....

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Every note makes up a symphony
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kat

Re: Can I have these careers at the same time? - June 28th 2012, 04:08 PM

Hi there,

The first thing that came to mind was that meteorologists on TV often experience the same things that many actors and actresses do. Being on a green screen, talking to a camera and a teleprompter...so if there's that option, that might be the best of both worlds! I think it might be wisest to follow your dream of meteorology and do small acting on the side if you don't end up on TV. I myself do some voice acting, but you could always live near a big city and try to be a movie extra. I got to be an extra in "Watchmen"

"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness"-Chinese Proverb

Piano, Flute, Bassoon, Acoustic Guitar, Cello, Electric Guitar

LiveHelp Operator August 13th, 2012 General Forum ModeratorDecember 22, 2012 Videos Officer March 19th 2013

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Can I have these careers at the same time? - June 30th 2012, 02:26 AM

I would imagine being a meteorologist overlaps with acting because they seem to be so well-composed for the camera, recite a script sometimes with a bit of impromptu regarding the manner of delivery and working with others to pull off the, "play". In that sense, you would be an actress every day you are on TV as a meteorologist, however, it still is quite feasible to do some non-professional acting on the side as a hobby. It's pretty much the same thing as being a meteorologist while playing at a weekly football game non-professionally.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Collies R Us Offline
Proverbs 30:5-6
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ally

Re: Can I have these careers at the same time? - July 1st 2012, 04:36 AM

Yeah, you could definitely do both. Just find your local theatre or check out the school drama dept. if it has one. And let me say: Drama is so fun!!! If you have the right teacher/director, of course.
But if you want to be in film...esh, that's more difficult. There's people with more talent than you could shake a stick at (weird figure of speech...just a lot of talent) who are jobless and searching LA and Hollywood for a job. You need to be either an amazingly talented actor or just get very lucky. Or get connected with people in the film business...
Whatever you do, please don't just quit the job you have to go wander California, hoping an agent will pick you off the streets.
I'd tell you to go with theatre. Oh it's fun. The stage and the lights and the audience... The thing with theatre is that you'd need to have some improv skills because it is live theatre and anything can happen...that and if you mess up no one yells, "Cut!" and starts the scene over. There are no redos...
Sorry I rambled. And I hope this didn't discourage you. If you want to go film then go film, just don't sell your house and quit your job for it. But who knows? Maybe you will be in the movies. Life is like theatre in that way; anything could happen.
- Collies R Us aka Ally

"Be strong and bold; have no fear or dread of them, because it is the LORD your God who goes with you; he will not fail you or forsake you." (Deut. 31:6 NRSV of the Bible)

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Mitch Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Mitchell

Re: Can I have these careers at the same time? - July 1st 2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenitySmile View Post
Hi there,

The first thing that came to mind was that meteorologists on TV often experience the same things that many actors and actresses do. Being on a green screen, talking to a camera and a teleprompter...so if there's that option, that might be the best of both worlds! I think it might be wisest to follow your dream of meteorology and do small acting on the side if you don't end up on TV. I myself do some voice acting, but you could always live near a big city and try to be a movie extra. I got to be an extra in "Watchmen"
Hehe, the first thing that came to my mind was weather presenter.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
BubblyBabyBlue Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Storm

Talking Re: Can I have these careers at the same time? - July 1st 2012, 04:20 PM

Thank you everybody Next year in high school, I plan on practicing and learning how to act better in there performing arts faculty. My high school has one of the top 10 performing arts faculties in NYC and it's not even a performing arts school. At the school I would also be able to practice meteorology. Thanx for all the encouragement

Closed Thread