TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Courtney

I like my boss and am so awkward around him. - July 4th 2012, 01:07 AM

So, I think I like on of my supervisors, I have since I started at the company a year ago. Every time I see him though I feel so awkward and hyper aware and I can feel my face getting red. I try to act normal, but I'm sure he's noticed that I act different when hes around. I added him on facebook shortly after I started working there (I added a lot of my coworkers) and he blocked me.

I don't know what to do. It makes it very hard to see him at work, especially because my face flushing and the awkwardness are involuntary reactions. And I don't think he likes me very much because of it. I don't know what to do.

Suggestions, please?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
HisPrincess Offline
Associate Live Help Operator
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Angelica

Re: I like my boss and am so awkward around him. - July 4th 2012, 05:40 AM

(I thought I already posted this, so sorry if this is the same message. But when I see this thread going into it one way, I see my response. Going into it another way, I can't see it. So I thought I'd try again.)

Hey Courtney,

I completely understand why you would feel nervous and awkward around your supervisor if you like him, that response is completely natural and to be expected! I think part of the reason he could have blocked you on Facebook is because you don't normally add your boss or supervisors on Facebook. It's not normally seen as good etiquette in the job world, so that's all it could be. I doubt he doesn't like you for your awkwardness, it just could be a little odd on his part, ya know? May I ask how old he is in comparison?

It's a little hard to say really how to tell you what to do, because there is not much you can do really. If you have been around him for a year, I'd say that's great and good job! My only suggestion is that you have to try and separate him in your brain. Instead of thinking of him as the "supervisor I like" or "(name here) that I have a thing for" try just thinking of him as your boss. It's normal to look up to him and take direction from him, and we all think our higher ups are attractive sometimes, so it's nothing against you! It would be better for you if you could learn to train your brain into just seeing him as your boss, and it would take less stress off of you on your part. Let me know if you have any questions or if you just want to talk, I'd be more than willing to have a chat with you. I've been there in a little different situation.

~ Angelica

Formerly jelli1224

Trusting is not a mistake, but it is important to realize that things change. ~ Kmn483<3Bliz

Please feel free to PM me. I love to help others, and can be an ear to talk to, a shoulder to cry on, or a face to scream at. <3

Help LINK Mentor - March 19th 2011 to April 16th 2011

Live Help Operator - February 18th 2012 to June 4th, 2012

Associate Live Help Operator - August 13th 2012 <3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Like a fairy ;)
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison

Re: I like my boss and am so awkward around him. - July 5th 2012, 07:17 AM

Hey Courtney,

Firstly, he probably blocked you because a lot of the time adding someone on facebook who is higher up than you at work isn't completely appropriate. There may be things on your facebook that you wouldn't want him to see, and things on his that he won't want you to see. He may not have any work colleagues added on facebook. I'm sure that it's not because he doesn't like you. It's just a way of staying professional.

Could you try to keep the thoughts separate, like Angelica suggested? At work, he's your boss. Try not to think of him as someone you like. It takes effort, but it can be done. Try to keep a purely professional relationship with him. I know it's already been going on for a year, but perhaps if you do your best to keep him out of your head, be completely professional and try to get over the feelings, the involuntary reactions will lessen. I can see how they can be embarrassing, but I'm sure that he doesn't dislike you for them. If you're not making any moves on him or trying to make him uncomfortable, then the blushing could even be seen as being nerves from being around someone high up. He may not even have realised that you like him.

I hope that some of that helps. Take care.

Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Courtney

Re: I like my boss and am so awkward around him. - July 6th 2012, 01:36 AM

Thank you!

I think that him blocking me was personal though because he has a lot of coworkers on his friend list.

I don't know what he thinks about me to be honest. I think he just thinks I'm weird. Every time I try to talk to him he makes some joke that I don't know how to respond to so I end up saying something stupid. Or I'll go to tell him something and I just babble and he doesn't understand.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
HisPrincess Offline
Associate Live Help Operator
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Angelica

Re: I like my boss and am so awkward around him. - July 6th 2012, 07:07 AM

Well try not to beat yourself up for your responses to him. One of the est ways to respond to a joke is just to laugh and the chances are, you'll greatly cut down your chances of looking stupid. As already mentioned above, it's normal to act nervous around a higher up because they make people nervous in general around the job, so there is a good chance he doesn't even notice you like him.

And ya know, if he does think you're weird, that's okay. Try not to beat yourself up about it. Quite honestly, we're never going to know what he thinks of you unless he decides to come over and tell you himself. So all you can do is smile, try not to over think everything and try and relax when you're around him. I've personally seen from past experience that everything goes smoother when I have a calm mind and I'm not stressed out- so you might want to give that a try. Feel free to PM or VM me anytime!

~ Angelica

Formerly jelli1224

Trusting is not a mistake, but it is important to realize that things change. ~ Kmn483<3Bliz

Please feel free to PM me. I love to help others, and can be an ear to talk to, a shoulder to cry on, or a face to scream at. <3

Help LINK Mentor - March 19th 2011 to April 16th 2011

Live Help Operator - February 18th 2012 to June 4th, 2012

Associate Live Help Operator - August 13th 2012 <3

Closed Thread