TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Doctor's Companion
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Michaela

Can't seem to get a job... - July 4th 2012, 05:32 PM

I have been searching for a job for almost two years now since I left college and I just can't seem to find one. I have applied for literally thousands and when they don't get back to you, even if its just to say that I haven't been successful, it knocks my confidence right down. I have no self esteem or confidence anymore...I have just applied for a job as a carer because I love to help people but still, there has been no reply, no phone call, text or email. This really gets me down. I don't know how I am meant to get a job if nobody will take me on. I have no experience but the jobs I have been applying for I don't need experience but still I am getting no where at all. I am bumping up my maths grades to see if they will help, doing my Level 1 and hopefully will be going onto my Level 2 with the same tutor. I already have my Level 2 Literacy. No matter how hard I am trying...I am getting nowhere. I would do anything just to get a job at the moment.
  Send a message via MSN to Raggedy Man, Goodnight!  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Like a fairy ;)
Outside, huh?

Name: Harry

Re: Can't seem to get a job... - July 4th 2012, 06:11 PM

Hey Michaela,

I'm sorry you're finding it so difficult to get a job. It's something that you just have to keep persevering at, though. There's no point giving up, because if you give up then there's no chance of getting a job, whereas if you keep applying, you'll get one at some point.

Try widening your search. If you've only been applying for one kind of job, try branching out into different areas. Don't be ashamed to try for the lowest jobs either, anything you get can be used as a stepping stone to better things.

Trying to improve your maths grades is a really good idea. For one, it's actively doing something to improve your chances of getting a job, and two, it's something to do while you wait on the applications.

See if there's anything else you can do to improve your CV/personal statement. Make sure that you cover everything that the application asks you as best you can and sell yourself as well as possible. I find that tough, personally, because of low self esteem, but you have to prove to them why they should pick you. If you can, get someone else to check it through for any errors, and to see if they can see anything that they think you should add.

I don't like it when jobs don't get back to you. I know that it's becoming common practice nowadays, but really, how hard is it to send out a preprepared email or a letter? Think of it this way: if they haven't sent you anything, then it's them being rude, and not because of you. Just because you're not necessarily the right person for their job, it doesn't mean that you're not right for any job, and it definitely doesn't mean that you're any worse as a person.

I hope some of that helps you. Take care.

Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Robin

Re: Can't seem to get a job... - July 4th 2012, 10:50 PM

Like Hester said, I would definitely get a few people to look over your resume/CV. Sometimes, one little thing can "turn off" an employer from inviting you for an interview, so I would get a second, third, fourth, etc. opinion on that crucial document. It's the first thing employers will see, and if it's less than impressive, it doesn't matter how many jobs you apply for.

I would also think about how proactive you are in following up with jobs, once you have applied for them. Do you e-mail your applications, fax them, or hand them in personally? E-mailed applications can be trashed/ignored, faxed applications can be misplaced, and applications that are handed in can be forgotten by an incompetent supervisor/boss. While the companies you apply to SHOULD be responsible, they often aren't... so it is YOUR responsibility to follow up with phone calls. If you haven't heard back in a week, contact the company, call to confirm that your application has been received, and inquire as to the status of your application. If they say you'll hear back in another week, and you don't, call them again. If you can't seem to get in touch with anyone via phone calls, and it seems like your e-mails are being ignored as well, show up in person and ask to speak to the person in charge of interviewing/hiring applicants.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Prof.Engrish Offline
愛してる

Senior TeenHelper

Re: Can't seem to get a job... - July 5th 2012, 09:55 AM

Did you have a counselor/adviser when you were going to college/uni? I know for a fact then when you graduate most would be more than happy to look over your CV/Resume as colleges do deeply care about their statics of how many students find jobs, its a standard across the globe to rank colleges,

I strongly agree with what Robin has said, its always good to follow up with a job once you submitted an application. Management and HR staff can be really busy as they receive plethora of applications daily. One thing that helps you shine through an entire stack of applications is people who take initiative and follow up (I would say calling and in person are best), following up with an application shows that you really want the job which is what managers are looking for. It might take awhile but keep following up until they formally reject you. This one job at a local restaurant I literally had to call to follow up and talk to 4 different people and go through 3 interviews but I finally got it.

"This is 10% Luck, 20% Skill, 15% Concentrated Power of Will, 5% Pleasure, 15% Pain; And a 100% reason to remember the name!"
Buddy/Live Help Operator/Technology and Gaming & Current Event and Debates Forum Moderator
PM/VM
  Send a message via AIM to Prof.Engrish  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Doctor's Companion
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Michaela

Re: Can't seem to get a job... - July 5th 2012, 11:36 AM

Thank you for the advice guys. I have an adviser at a course that the job centre put me on, but seriously they are no use at all. I sorted my CV out and ended up taking it up to my old college tutor and he told me it was fine. The advisers at this course don't help at all, they just sit there, they don't even help with applications. My adviser also put me down saying I was never going to get a job but I stood up for myself and said that I am trying my hardest, he hasn't said anything like that since. I think now he sees that I am trying and that I am determined to get a job. I just wish it would be a little easier but the government over in England really have knacked up this country. There is more people going out of work than into work. They spent millions of pounds on the opening of the Olympics when it could have been used to get young people into decent jobs. And what's even worse is me and my fiance want our own place, he wants to get me out of where I am living now because there is always trouble going on and the government are stopping beneifits for people on job seekers, many people are going to be homeless because our Prime Minister really is an idiot. He is ruining our country, I actually wish there was something I could do myself to make this country better :/
  Send a message via MSN to Raggedy Man, Goodnight!  
Closed Thread