TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

salary requests - July 16th 2012, 02:23 AM

I am applying for jobs at a few retail places (shoe stores and dress stores and stuff), as a bartender (possibly a cook or server too) and a bunch of other places. It'll all be PART TIME
On some of the applications it asks what wage I want to make....
In my province, minimum wage for places where you serve liquor is 8.90 and general wage is 10.50. Would it be unrealistic to request $12.00+ instead of minimum wage? I need to save up money because I am supposed to be moving when I graduate. I have experience etc. I know that wherever I get hired MAY NOT give me the wage I request if they don't think that I have experience to justify it OR they are just cheap and don't like well paid employees OR you have to be full time to do it (read above: I will only work part time!!!!) etc.
My main concertn is if it is unrealistic to request a higher wage than minimum wage. I don't want to compromise getting a job because I had the "audacity" to think that I should be allowed to say how much money I WOULD like to make, especially if I am simply saying how much I would like to make but am not stupid enough to argue if they say they won't do that. But they really won't do it if I don't at least try right??. PLUS isn't it sorta stupid to ask what sorta wage someone wants if you're not actually going to consider it? It's not like I am going to ask for $20 an hour as a bartender/server when tips are involved and it's over double the minimum, it's just a few dollars extra.... I could understand if it seemed like someone was going to be a problem if they didn't even have an insane amount of experience and only wanted part time work AND were asking for lots of money far far about minumum (unless of course they put down like "I am a single mom and desperately need it" sorta thing, which so isn't the case for me).... But is $12 or so that big a deal?

*sorry for the rantiness*

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: salary requests - July 16th 2012, 06:55 AM

I think it depends on the job. Some places may be willing to consider $12/hr. (or something in-between $10.50/hr. and $12/hr.), while others may be quick to inform you that they would be starting you off at a lower hourly wage. Worst-case scenario, some employers might not bother to interview you, thinking you're delusional for asking them to increase their usual hourly wage. Honestly, though, $12/hr. doesn't sound delusional to me. The minimum wage where I live is $8/hr. That's what I was paid at my first part-time job. My second part-time job paid $9/hr. My third (and current) part-time job pays $12.20/hr. Granted, my current job requires a certain skill set, and that's the hourly wage they pay everyone, but it just shows you that it IS possible to find a job that pays a few dollars more than the minimum wage.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: salary requests - July 16th 2012, 07:29 AM

Yeah, I've got half my university degree done and have had 3 part time jobs in the past (4 if you include babysitting)... Plus I have my first aid/CPR certification and will be getting the one that allows me to serve alcohol before I apply to restaurants... I'm not asking for an unrealistic amount I don't think, and I could put "$12 (negotiable)" or something. I think for certain jobs I could probably ask for $15, but that would be for places that are more people oriented (and NOT like restaurants and stuff)

I'm actually fairly sick of getting paid minimum wage actually, I'm well educated, I might still be in school, but I don't go to school to keep getting paid like shit. And I am ALSO sick of seeing "what wage do you expect" sorta thing. Cause saying "minimum" is stupid. Unless they plan to break the law it's not like they have a choice there, so why bother telling them that's all I want? Cause it's like hello, you have to give me a minimum so if that's the only option don't bloodywell ask.... So unless they honestly plan to give those with experience a higher wage it's completely stupid to keep that on the application cause it's like they're just daring someone to actually suggest they'd like to be paid more than the absolute bare minimum just so they can weed out the "crazies" (like "omg you want a whole 2-3 dollars more, what a nut case").... Which seems sorta stupid as well... I dunno...

Closed Thread