TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
CrystalJade Offline
Junior TeenHelper

My new boss is a prick - June 3rd 2013, 03:07 PM

I've been working for Dillards for about a month now and I had to call in today. I passed something last night that may have been a miscarriage and today I'm feeling hot, sick, and cramping extremely bad. I called in to work and told my boss an emergency came up so I couldn't make it. He asked why and I just said it's very personal (I think I have the right to keep this information from him) and he said 'well it's the first day you're supposed to come in, thanks for calling in' and hung up on me, he was very sarcastic too.

I'm pretty pissed about this. I need a day off next week for college orientation and I told him a week ago. He wouldn't tell me who to tell and tried saying the schedule was already made when it wasn't so there's another day I may be calling in.

I feel he is very unprofessional and childlike. I'm pissed that I have to go through this pain and get treated like dirt from that donkey's butt.

What can I do about this? Or what should I do?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Koharuchan Offline
Skittles Minion
I can't get enough

Name: Haru

Re: My new boss is a prick - June 5th 2013, 03:40 PM

Let me just say this; I understand that it's very personal, but when you call in to work you have to tell them why you're not coming in. If you just call in and say you can't make it for personal reasons, that won't fly.

When you call in, you have to be sick or there has to be a real emergency, and you have to explain it to them or else they'll just think you're trying to skip a day of work for no good reason. That's probably why he was upset with you, you wouldn't tell him what was keeping you from coming into work.

I know this probably isn't what you want to hear, but it is the truth. It's just how things work. In the future, remember to explain why you have to miss work. I'm sorry, but your boss had the right to be upset. He has to know why you're missing, or else you're essentially skipping, which is not good at all.

I love my Big Sleepy Bear.
I still fill my panties; do YOU?
No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist. -Oscar Wilde
Buddy since 12/25/11 Self Expressions mod since 4/23/12 Helplink mentor since 5/9/12 . . . . . .Skittlify.
I was blessed by your companionship from 12/24/01-6/27/13

(#3 (permalink)) Old
CrystalJade Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: My new boss is a prick - June 6th 2013, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koharuchan View Post
Let me just say this; I understand that it's very personal, but when you call in to work you have to tell them why you're not coming in. If you just call in and say you can't make it for personal reasons, that won't fly.

When you call in, you have to be sick or there has to be a real emergency, and you have to explain it to them or else they'll just think you're trying to skip a day of work for no good reason. That's probably why he was upset with you, you wouldn't tell him what was keeping you from coming into work.

I know this probably isn't what you want to hear, but it is the truth. It's just how things work. In the future, remember to explain why you have to miss work. I'm sorry, but your boss had the right to be upset. He has to know why you're missing, or else you're essentially skipping, which is not good at all.
If it was just that then I would understand. I will never tell a male boss something as personal as that though, it is NONE of their business. Telling him I have a personal emergency should be good enough, either way I wasn't going to come in. I'll tell you more about this "wonderful" guy.

Another girl called in because her boyfriend was stuck on the side of the road about 3 hours away. He asked the girl to just leave him there until the next day and come to work. She told him she can't do that and he told her "this isn't going to look good on you" and hung up on her. I notified him about a day I need off to go to college orientation. He told me he's not the person to tell, when I asked who to tell he refused to tell me and just tried to tell me the schedule was already made when it wasn't. This was 2 weeks before I needed off. This is my future so I'll be calling in again. Then when a girl needed off because her brother hurt himself he told her off as well and hung up on her.

It is not just because I wouldn't tell him about my personal issues.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: My new boss is a prick - June 16th 2013, 11:10 AM

In the US, they can't ask why but you can say due to the fact that you're sick. If you think you may be passing a miscarriage, I would contact your doctor or go to the emergency room. Usually we send the products of conception down to the lab for testing depending on how far along you are. You don't have to say that you're having a miscarriage, but you should say you're sick. I would also ask for a doctor's note.

Also, it may be a case where the schedule has been made but not posted. Usually there is a set time frame for requesting days off. Two weeks usually doesn't fly. It usually has to be a month in advance. It sucks, but that's how it is in a lot of jobs. In my job, we're scheduled weeks in advance. Like we already have August's schedule posted and they're working on September's schedule.

Also, a lot of jobs have a policy you need to call in so many hours before your shift. Usually it's about four or five hours.

I hate to tell you this, but you may not have a job if you call off again. It's your future but they need dependable workers that they know will show up for a shift. I don't mean to come off as insensitive, but they are doing business and won't view it with sympathy. They need to have so many people in the business in order for it to run. They probably also staff at a bare minimum so if a stocker calls off, then everyone is put behind. If a cashier calls off, then one of the registers isn't running to help reduce wait time or the people need to walk all they way across the store. Also, the college orientations are usually something you know months in advance. I knew about mine since April and it's in August. Two call offs this close together could reflect badly on you and may end up costing you your job.

I would contact the college and find out if you can "makeup" the college orientation. A lot of colleges will allow that. Otherwise I strongly recommend hitting the pavement (or online) for a new job asap.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: My new boss is a prick - June 16th 2013, 02:05 PM

I think what you did is totally understandable and the boss is being a jerk. Having said that, I agree with Sarasa that you probably shouldn't call off for college orientation if you want to keep the job. There should be a way to make up the orientation, and in my case it wasn't very important anyway. It could well be that the schedule was already made, I work retail and ours are posted 3 weeks in advance. Furthermore, it's probably something you've known about for a while and could have requested off with longer notice.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
semiunbalanced Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Kimmi

Re: My new boss is a prick - June 16th 2013, 06:27 PM

That's really immature of him and I would actually go contact the HR department to complain, because there should be no place for his behavior. Unfortunately, the ones in higher power are the ones deciding if you have a job or not. So if you do call out again make sure you're specific with the reason. Typically though, you should not have to specify. If you say you're sick you do not have to say how sick. If you say it's personal, legally that is enough. Emergencies come up all the time and I know many jobs (Disney included) that leave it at personal. Good luck!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: My new boss is a prick - June 16th 2013, 07:09 PM

Sure, he's being a prick, a lot of bosses are like that. But you might want to skip the college orientation. Lot's of people wouldn't be able to make their college orientations due to things like jobs, so since your boss is already pissed off you might want to contact your college and ask them how to get the information you are missing if you can't go. Whether or not you like this job AND whether or not your boss is being a prick, if you need this job for the time being then you might want to do that because he can always fire you and he can always say "look I'm getting rid of you because your schedule isn't conducive to the business and I need an employee who will fit better" or he could come up with something else that seems a little grasping but if he sees your employment as an inconvenience... So until you can get another job, you might need to bite your tongue and cut your losses if you need the job

And while you technically don't have to elaborate on what your emergency is, you ARE allowed to miss work for being sick, but for all you know he thinks that your "personal emergency" is that you got super wasted last night and are to dizzy and to busy puking to be able to make it in. You ARE in that age category any how. You could of, at the very least, said your super sick and have a fever and stuff, you didn't have to tell him ALL of what was going on (that it was probably a miscarriage) but if he's starting to think you're going to be a problem between this and the college orientation I can understand his frustration. Especially if he thinks you'll bail for minor issues (like some people bail on work because they have a cold and are like "oh I don't wanna get people sick", come on, colds are rampant, everyone there would get it any how, that's just being a pansy ) SOOOOOO it's best to let them know enough info so that they understand that you aren't backing out cause your being a pansy or were sick from irresponsible behaviour at a bar. So I'd suggest that for next time

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Closed Thread