TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Self Expression (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f40-self-expression/)
-   -   I get suspended for writing a poem about how I feel. (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f40-self-expression/t120118-i-get-suspended-writing-poem-about-how-i-feel/)

Dagobert June 4th 2013 03:12 AM

I get suspended for writing a poem about how I feel.

Hello guys, I feel like I've gotten some good advice and support on this forum that I usually don't get at school or at home. So recently I've been feeling depressed and sad due to some things that have been going on in my life. I like writing poems, and they used to be more cheerful I guess but now I write about how I feel instead of writing cheerful poems about love. My teacher asked us to write a poem and bring it in to class and read them out loud and discuss its meaning. I wrote a poem about how I felt recently and when I read it out loud my teacher told me to leave the class and wait in the office. Later that day I was suspended for a week from school because the teacher and the principal said that poetry is express an individual but not to hurt other people’s feelings. However I'm confused, I wrote a poem about how I felt and nothing to offend others.

This is the poem I wrote:

I see darkness outside my window
The moon shines bright
However it doesn’t shine in my heart
I feel darkness and despair in my heart
Just like I don’t understand how the moon stays afloat in space
Just like I don’t understand why the moon shines so bright
I don’t understand my own feelings
Blood slips through my veins
I can see darkness consuming my soul
The devil is trying to lure me
My life is slipping away from me
And I cannot catch it
It’s far too late…

My parents are really mad that I got suspended; they don't even want to talk to me. Instead they want to send me back to Japan to live with my uncle and study over there. I tried talking to the principle at my school but he doesn't want to talk to me or even understand that I didn't mean to offend anyone. It was simple a poem about how I felt. I’m really sad and upset about this all, it’s like I don't know what to do. I think it's unfair that my parents want to send me to Japan just because they think I need to be this perfect student with good grades. I understand that's what's expected of a child in our culture but I don't feel like that's me. I do get good grades but now and then I do make mistakes. In the end, I'm a human too with flaws and imperfections.

In the end I just don't know how to deal with this situation here. Thanks for reading.

blurryface June 4th 2013 04:47 AM

Re: I get suspended for writing a poem about how I feel.

I'm not the best person to give advice, but I just wanna say I'm on your side with this one, I have no idea why anyone would want to be offended. Matter of fact, I think it's a very well-written poem. Did anyone mention at all what parts in the poem were offensive, or who exactly was offended by it?

hocus pocus June 4th 2013 04:55 AM

Hey :)

This is a beautiful poem. You definitely shouldn't have gotten suspended. You could fight this. Adults are all about letting teens express themselves, right? This is self expression, and you did nothing wrong.

JustACityBoy June 4th 2013 05:28 AM

If I got this right, you got suspended for doing an assignment with passion, and then is awaiting potential shipment to Japan.
I'm as confused as you are.

Try talking about how obscene this situation is to your parents, or to your uncle who might talk some sense into them.

Dagobert June 6th 2013 12:21 PM

Well I did talk, but my parents are pretty strict and they're really into the Japanese culture which I'm fine with but it does get hard on me now and then when it comes to situations like this. They're a bit old fashioned, and believe that the teacher has a right to slap you and you obviously have done something wrong if your teacher is mad at you. They refuse to listen to anything I have to say regarding this situation.

To be honest I'm not too close to my uncle and that's mainly because I haven't really spent much time with him. Plus he's a police detective and I doubt he'd have time to deal with family problems like this considering how busy he might be dealing with cases in his town. I mean I'd be fine if I was being sent to Tokyo or some other city, but this is like a town in the middle of nowhere and far away from any of the cities. I hear it's pretty boring.

MGICECUBE15 June 6th 2013 03:05 PM

Hey,

That is a wonderful poem . I love writing poems as well and have also wrote emotional poems about how I feel but I have never got suspended for writing a poem which is emotional.

Seriously you should not have got suspended. Your head should be suspending people for fighting or bullying not for writing a lovely emotional poem about how you feel.

Love from Meera xx