TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
semiunbalanced Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Kimmi

Switching jobs and getting anxious? - June 16th 2013, 06:38 PM

So I have worked at my current retail job for a little over a year now. In the beginning, everything was smiles and fun. It's a different retail job than most and is about the experience rather than the sales. Lately though, things have been kind of crazy. Favoritism exists no matter where you go, but this has gotten out of hand. We have paper "certificates" to reward associates with different things they've done right. Sales, guest compliments, etc, are all part of this. One of our associates has gotten one for "being awesome". He doesn't really do anything spectacular that the rest of us aren't doing, besides kissing serious ass. Over the year, there has been a growing clique. After an incident at a work outing (basically me being harassed for not going in to a bar that I wasn't allowed to go in legally but apparently I should have gone in and not made it "all about me" cause I'm SUCH an "attention seeker") I was constantly being harassed every time I went in to the store. It was the most frustrating thing because I felt like work was my safe place. Everybody is kind of like a family there and so a lot of times when friendships start to break there is tension in the store. There was a huge division after that. Me and the managers against almost everybody else. Now the managers have joined the clique's side. This clique is probably one of the most intense cliques I have ever seen. It reminds me of High School, it's just that bad. There are people within the clique that have approached managers saying they don't like an associate and if that associate is within their probation period, the managers fire them. If it is past the associate's probation period, they just try to make it Hell. They hardly give the people they don't like hours but they give their favorites up to 35 hours a week. Those people also get day shifts, the rest of us get the grimy closing shifts. After this favorited associate had a bad day, they went and bought him a cupcake. If others have expressed that they're having a hard day, it's nothing to them. They simply say, "Well this is work. Put on a happy face." So now this guy is getting promoted and I'm leaving as soon as possible.

It happened really fast but I applied for the job last week, had all my interviews this week, and got offered the position two days ago. It was the quickest I have ever been hired. I am now completing a few paperwork things and then I will be turning in my two weeks at my current job. My new job will be located on the same property but is not affiliated with my past job in any way. I'm just worried that things are going to be so different that I won't be able to handle it. Despite things going under these past few months, there are days where I really enjoy what I do. I just don't want to suck it up and deal with somebody who doesn't deserve to be manager, bossing me around. It's not just that he doesn't deserve it, it's that he uses whatever power he has to bring other people down and make them feel like crap. So at times, when I'm thinking about all of this, I know it's the right decision. At other times, I'm wondering about the possible failure... or what if I don't fit in or what if everything is so different that nobody is close to anybody and it's not a fun family environment? What if I don't feel safe there? I'm really nervous about switching over jobs and I don't really want to burn any bridges at my last job just in case... though I'm not fond of the idea of crawling back either. I'm just upset and anxious right now. I'm excited for a new opportunity but I'm also wondering if this is right for me.

I'm sorry this is long but any thoughts about anything would be helpful for me. I've been trying to bounce the ideas around in my head by myself for a while and I need outside assistance.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Switching jobs and getting anxious? - June 18th 2013, 12:50 AM

I've held two retail positions over the course of my life. Each one had a different environment, the first being fairly boring (but not cliquey at all) and second being much more exciting (but with intermittent drama and a high turnover rate at all levels of staff). I'm of the opinion that, no matter where you go, whether it's retail or elsewhere, you're going to have "drama queens." Some are going to be much more tolerable than others. If you're at the point where work isn't fun for you, and you believe the place will continue to go downhill in the future, then you might as well abandon ship and try something new. Maybe the new place will be just as bad, if not worse - but that just means you can keep looking at other positions! You don't have to squish yourself into one particular type of job if you don't want to, especially when it's an entry-level position. Find out where your friends work (or have worked in the past), and apply to those places! Apply to stores that you always enjoy shopping in, due to the friendly atmosphere! You're young, so don't settle for a job that makes you unhappy. Now's the time to figure out where your place is and to experiment a bit if you're not successful the first (or second) time.

Closed Thread