TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Amorphous. Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Hamed Khatiz

When They Don't Write Back. - July 2nd 2013, 01:46 AM

HEY GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .

OK, so I have been job searching for seven months (no kidding) , so I am used to people not calling back. It really hurts and it makes me think of the reason why but that's a thread for another day . Or for HelpLink LOL. But the question for today is, what happens when they don't call back, is it alright to call them back, and ask for the reason why?

“At times the world may seem an unfriendly and sinister place,
But believe that there is much more good in it than bad.
All you have to do is look hard enough,
And what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events may in fact be the first steps of a journey.”

~My Childhood Friend.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: When They Don't Write Back. - July 2nd 2013, 02:40 AM

Maybe don't ask for the reason but call for "a follow up" to see what's going on or when you should expect an answer. Hope this helps.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: When They Don't Write Back. - July 2nd 2013, 03:41 AM

I'd say call them back and ask them what the current status is of your applying. You could ask them if they have decided or if they will be getting in contact with you soon.
Some employers like to have those applying contact them back because it shows you are interested and in the job and not just applying because you are desperate

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: When They Don't Write Back. - July 2nd 2013, 11:04 PM

My personal opinion is that you should always, ALWAYS call back, unless you're specifically told not to (this can happen if there are many applicants, and the individuals choosing applicants don't have time to deal with follow-up phone calls). I wouldn't do it too quickly, but I wouldn't wait too late, either - maybe 3 days after your interview. You can thank the person who offered the interview, then state your continued interest in the position and inquire about when they might be making a final decision.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Chuuya Offline
I hate milk.
I can't get enough

Name: Lauren

Re: When They Don't Write Back. - July 3rd 2013, 07:34 PM

I completely agree. The way I see it, it won't do you any harm to call back and ask about it. Like Robin said, don't call too early or too late. Three days is a good number to wait and call and ask what's going on. I always say it won't hurt because it shows that you're willing to do what it takes to get the job, and that you're an interested person who will follow up. The worst thing they can say is you didn't get the job, but even if you didn't call them, it'd still have the same outcome.

"You'll have to decide for yourself. Walk on your own. Move forward. You've got a strong pair of legs, Rose. You should get up and use them."

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: When They Don't Write Back. - July 3rd 2013, 11:41 PM

I've had the same problem where I have been unable to find a job. Most people are ok with a follow up call. Like if you drop off your resume, know the people are hiring and just want to know what they think. Like a week later call and be like "well, I applied, I am X person, I was just hoping you could tell me more about where your at with the hiring, thanks!" Most people won't mind, worst comes to worst they say no and you hang up and move on.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: When They Don't Write Back. - July 7th 2013, 08:28 AM

The main reason is that they either weren't really hiring then or they have too many applicants.

I would recommend following up with a phone call a week or two later, but do not be surprised if they tell you they are too busy.

Closed Thread