TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
CrystalJade Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Can we do anything? Urgent!!! - July 21st 2013, 01:45 PM

My boyfriend was fired today and it's for b.s reasons. On Thursday he went in for his shift and was told to go home because his shirt was 'too dirty' on the collar where no one can see it, he was told not to come back until Sunday when he had a shift on Saturday too. So he didn't go in for his shift on Saturday. He got a call Saturday by his main boss demanding to know why he didn't come in and when he told him that his other boss had sent him home and told him not to come in until Saturday the guy kept saying he couldn't understand why he didn't show up. He went in today and they fired him for not showing up to BOTH shifts when in fact he did to the Thursday shift and was told not to on the Saturday shift. One of his coworkers was claiming he was in the room when he wasn't and was lying about what happened and then the boss that was there lied about it as well. His boss that fired him literally told him 'the time cards show you weren't here so you weren't here'. This is messed up.

Can we do anything?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Thereishope Offline
Skittles Minion & Fish Thrower
I can't get enough

Name: Michael

Re: Can we do anything? Urgent!!! - July 21st 2013, 04:53 PM

If they have a Human Resource department (which I would assume they would) maybe file a complaint through them and see if this can be resolved. Other then that I'm not sure what else you could really do. I hope things work out for you!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Can we do anything? Urgent!!! - July 21st 2013, 05:02 PM

I used to work at a pet boarding facility. The first manager I worked for was demoted because she used up a lot of worker's comp. They also gave her a part-time position, which meant she wasn't able to receive the same medical benefits. She was essentially forced to quit, and while she did talk about suing the company, nothing really came of it. The process would have been expensive, and it would have taken years to sort everything out. Unfortunately, aside from appealing to the HR department and making a few calls to local non-profit agencies, I'm not sure there's anything you can do. It's a "he-said-he-said" situation, and any documentation (ex. time card) is going to back up the employer, not your boyfriend.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
CrystalJade Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Can we do anything? Urgent!!! - July 22nd 2013, 12:39 AM

It's just really junky because now all the bills are even more so on me and he hasn't missed days before. He worked when he was really sick because no one would help him out. They told him the other night that cleaning his work clothes were more important than buying food or paying bills. What non-profit agency can we contact? Would unemployment be out of the question? He's been there for 3 or 4 months now. I just can't believe all of this from a dirty collar... It's ridiculous. I even spent an hour in the shower scrubbing the shirts down with a toothbrush last night...

(#5 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Can we do anything? Urgent!!! - July 22nd 2013, 12:50 AM

In certain cases, people can still receive unemployment despite being terminated. I'd definitely check with the appropriate government agency and submit a form. When I was forced to resign from my job of over three years, I was told I didn't qualify because I didn't make enough money per year... I don't know what will happen in your boyfriend's case, since he only worked for three months, but it's worth looking in to!

As for non-profits, there are some that offer free or low-cost legal services. Worst-case-scenario, there are non-profits that help people find temporary employment and improve their resumes in preparation for the next full-time job. Goodwill is one well-known organization you could contact, and there may be other non-profits within your area as well that aren't as well-known.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Chuuya Offline
I hate milk.
I can't get enough

Name: Lauren

Re: Can we do anything? Urgent!!! - July 22nd 2013, 02:40 PM

Hey there,

My father was in your boyfriend's situation a few years ago, and it was incredibly hard for my family to get through it. He'd been working at the company for about 7 years before he was laid off and fired. He applied for unemployment, but he made a few mistakes and so they wouldn't accept him. Shortly after that he found another job, it wasn't good paying, but it was a job. He proceeded to work there for about two months and then he was let go as well. He applied for unemployment again, and this time it was accepted. I don't know what will happen in your situation, but it is always worth a shot to apply for unemployment. It is worth a shot to look into, like Robin said.

"You'll have to decide for yourself. Walk on your own. Move forward. You've got a strong pair of legs, Rose. You should get up and use them."

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Can we do anything? Urgent!!! - July 22nd 2013, 03:52 PM

Always apply. Also, remember that there are two sides to every story. I know some people who say they were fired for BS reasons when they are making up a story. He may have had a better chance if he said he was told he wasn't coming in till Sunday but he is willing to run out there.

Also, in the future, always get disciplinary actions in writing. Verbals too.

Closed Thread