TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Brodskie Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Brody

Smile Job promotion anxiety. - August 5th 2013, 05:30 PM

Hey there everyone. Just hoping to get some job related advice

So, I work at a relatively large store (I won't say which, internet policies!) and our head of maintenance just quit, last day is Friday. Our store general manager has approached me to take over the position starting Monday. My concern is mostly a confidence issue, I think. Not sure if I'm particularly ready to take on such a large responsibility . I'm not sure how a younger guy can earn the respect of a maintenance staff who are almost all at least than twice my age...

Anyone have any advice for dealing with anxiety in a new position? On being confident and gaining respect from co-workers/employees? I need to let them know by Wednesday. It'd be nice to have better pay and weekends off, but I'm still really nervous.

Thanks in advance for any tips you may have.

...This time, I watch from the sidelines
Your ghost in the limelight
Face your fears and pierce the night...

Message me anytime
VM | PM

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Pirouette Offline
Just a girl strolling by
I've been here a while

Name: Rishy

Re: Job promotion anxiety. - August 6th 2013, 01:58 AM

Hey Brody,
In order to take big steps, there are little risks involved. First of all, congratulations on your job promotion. That sounds really awesome that you are getting this opportunity.
Anyways, confidence doesn't come overnight- it usually builds up through skill and experience. I'm sure before they put you to a job like this, you will get training and have people to help you. However, if you aren't comfortable with the job, you could just talk to your boss and tell him/her that you aren't ready for it yet. I see from your post that you are willing to give it a try, so I'd say why not accept? Don't be afraid to make mistakes - everyone makes them, and it will only help you become a better employee. If you ever need help, you can always ask your co-workers and other employees around about what to do. I hope this helps, and good luck to you on this!

~Rishy

[left]

"Imperfection is beauty;
madness is genius;
and its better to be absolutely ridiculous
than absolutely boring."

-Marilyn Monroe

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Every note makes up a symphony
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kat

Re: Job promotion anxiety. - August 6th 2013, 02:23 AM

Hi Brody,

Congratulations on this offer! It certainly seems like a big step and a pretty sweet resume booster.

I can understand the pressure of managing those who are older than you. If you accept the position, it will be very important for you to demand respect, but at the same time ensure that everybody's happy. I see it this way: you need to be a bull. If a bull doesn't have its horns, nobody will take it seriously. It's crucial to make sure they know that you're not afraid to assert your dominance and that they need to perform well and can't get away with violating rules.

I think it doesn't hurt to try. As you said, higher pay and you get the weekends off. If it doesn't work out, you can step down and don't need to tell anybody why. You could even just say that it didn't work with your personal schedule well.

Good luck with your decision

"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness"-Chinese Proverb

Piano, Flute, Bassoon, Acoustic Guitar, Cello, Electric Guitar

LiveHelp Operator August 13th, 2012 General Forum ModeratorDecember 22, 2012 Videos Officer March 19th 2013

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Brodskie Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Brody

Re: Job promotion anxiety. - August 6th 2013, 04:43 PM

So, I went in last night and told them that I'd take it, excited to start this new chapter

Thanks so much for the advice guys, I really appreciated it and it helped! You guys rock

...This time, I watch from the sidelines
Your ghost in the limelight
Face your fears and pierce the night...

Message me anytime
VM | PM

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Every note makes up a symphony
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kat

Re: Job promotion anxiety. - August 6th 2013, 06:38 PM

Congratulations! That's definitely something worth celebrating!

"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness"-Chinese Proverb

Piano, Flute, Bassoon, Acoustic Guitar, Cello, Electric Guitar

LiveHelp Operator August 13th, 2012 General Forum ModeratorDecember 22, 2012 Videos Officer March 19th 2013

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Job promotion anxiety. - August 7th 2013, 02:59 PM

Biggest thing in my opinion is listening to the employees and being fair. However, you will never make everyone happy. Also, why do you think the other guy quit? Was it job-related or did he get a better offer? If he hated his job and it was well-known, then I would reconsider.

Closed Thread