TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees? - August 13th 2013, 11:28 PM

Hi!

I'm in Connecticut, and would like to stay in state for my education for as long as possible.

I've heard that it's difficult for you to be accepted as a graduate student in the same school you graduated as an undergraduate and that it's actually more of a con to stay in the same school, rather than a pro.

Is that true? If so, I'm back at square one again, I just toured a college that's PERFECT for me because it has both and I absolutely loved the school and all it has to offer. The tour guide was telling us about all these clubs and even a fitness center (I like the idea of a personal trainer, maybe I can get in shape), and how they don't even have teacher's assistants or anything so you only will have that one teacher all year, and how those teachers have set office hours so I CAN get extra help if needed. They even have a tutorial center. And New Haven is a college town, so I'd be able to meet other people if I can work on my anxiety or whatever this is, or even just go to a cafe for lunch sometimes, which I'd really love. It's also around 25-30 minutes away from my house, so I'd be able to find a way to commute (no use staying in a dorm for that close). That'd be a waste if I wouldn't be able to get in as a graduate because I went there for undergrad. So I'd not want to apply there as an undergrad because I'd hope to get accepted as a graduate unless I can find another school. If I can find another graduate school in Connecticut that offers a Master's in Public Health then great, I'll apply to Southern Connecticut State University (college I toured today).

If that's true, how in God's name do I find other colleges in my state that have a Master's degree program in Public Health?! After an hour of searching a few months back I couldn't find ANY at all so I'd assume I'm looking in the wrong places, and Traci was the one that found this college for me (thanks Traci).

Collegeboard was absolutely no use to me whatsoever, their school search didn't even HAVE Southern Connecticut State University on it, it only had one school and that school only offers a Bachelor's. I'm touring it at the end of September.

Help. Really starting to stress again since I'm a senior in high school. I just want to know what my options are before I decide something then screw myself over in the long run.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees? - August 14th 2013, 01:17 AM

Hi Dez,

I think it is really great you are looking at your options and deciding what you would like to do in terms of what colleges you would like to attend.
However, I think you should first worry about your undergraduate and then worry about your graduate once you are a year or two into your undergrad years.
My reasoning for this is that you never know if what you want to study now will be what you will end up deciding once you get into college and start taking classes. You have some general classes you will have to complete, so you will have time to figure this out.
Also, you could study for what you want and then realize you like that and continue with it and then go to graduate school for that, or you could realize that it is not for you after taking some classes and then change majors completely.
I understand your worries and they are valid however, I believe at times people really overthink things and look to far into the future. You are a senior, focus on finishing this year and starting the next, if this is a four year college, you have at least two years to decide things after this year.
Hope this helps.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees? - August 14th 2013, 01:21 AM

Yeah, I'm always known to look way too far into the future, I just want to know that the option to stay in state after undergrad is there, and part of me is thinking it's becoming impossible. That's almost enough to be a deal breaker with my major.

Oh, on a side note, how DO you find colleges? I only found the two in site but there's got to be more. I'm having a hard time and don't want to save it all for when school gets back in while I could be scheduling tours.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees? - August 14th 2013, 01:58 AM

Hi Dez,

Maybe you could research "colleges in CT" or something similar. Or "colleges in CT major public health".
I do the same thing about thinking to far into the future, you just have to keep telling yourself that things will sort out and that you will be fine starting your undergraduate without knowing your school for graduate.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees? - August 14th 2013, 02:08 AM

I found this Dez, maybe it will help:
http://www.quinnipiac.edu/
Keep in mind also, that colleges may have the major you are wanting to study it may be just called something different.
Hopefully this is helpful.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees? - August 14th 2013, 02:17 AM

Yeah, what I've found were a lot of minors for Public Health. I definitely don't want a minor. Like one site listed six, two of which being ones I'm touring, one being Yale aka out of my league, and some I searched and don't even see Public Health offered, or it's a minor. Like with Quinnipiac I saw it was a minor, unless I'm just missing something.

I don't know what else it would be called though.

UCONN does have it for graduate school though so I guess if I do undergrad in Southern I can do Grad there, provided I get accepted for either.

I'm probably just horrible at searching and college websites are hard to navigate. :/

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees? - August 14th 2013, 02:39 AM

The sites are confusing at first but when you visit them enough, they are less complicated.

I do not see why you wouldn't get into either school.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees? - August 14th 2013, 04:42 AM

Hey Dez, I actually have NOT heard this and I know someone who got her undergrad in psychology and then went into the master's program in counseling no problem. I had to change schools since my undergrad college didn't have the master's program I needed. If you're finding that public health as a major is rare to begin with I would just try to go where they have it and take things one step at a time. Also, once you get into your undergrad you can ask your advisor about this issue and they will know about schools that have the master's program you want.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees? - August 14th 2013, 05:01 AM

Yeah, I Wikipedia'd a list of all the colleges/universities in CT and only two offer a Bachelor's degree. I'll apply to both and then I guess I'll cross the next hurdle when I get there. If not, I know that there ARE some in NY and Mass so I'll at least be /somewhat/ close, rather than having to go to like California or something.

I'm assuming even though I'd be a teensy bit behind I can also talk to my school guidance counselor? Maybe I'm missing a college and just don't know about it, but she would.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees? - August 14th 2013, 05:33 AM

I am going to remind you to keep an open mind about your undergraduate major and to think about schools without public health majors. I'm looking to pursue public health (as you know ) and I'm not a public.health major. I'll be applying to MpH programs with two undergraduate degrees in global health and psychology, and my adviser said that grad schools just want something relevant. Some majors may actually give you slight advantage, as long.as you're taking public health related classes. A good idea is doing behavioral sciences.wit a pre-med specification. (i probably would have done pre-med if I hadn't figured out I wanted to do public health earlier.) It's more about being prepared for graduate school academically rather than a degree saying "public health." It's like medical school; you can br any undergrad major to.go to medical school, they just recommend relevant ones.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees? - August 14th 2013, 04:53 PM

I want to second what Kate said. I have several friends who earned their BS and MS degrees at the same university, within the same departments. I also have several friends who earned their MAs (same program I just graduated from) and were accepted into the PsyD program at the same university. In fact, for the first time ever, EVERY SINGLE PERSON in my cohort who applied for the PsyD program at our university was accepted. I attribute that to their ability to network with the professors. If anything, I'd think going to the university for undergrad would make you a stronger candidate for being accepted into the graduate program, because you have four years to get to know the professors and demonstrate your abilities.

I also want to second what Christina said about focusing on undergrad first. If you love this university for its undergrad program, then apply! You may end up falling in love with a different graduate program, or you may decide you don't want/have to go to graduate school. If any of that happens, you'll regret not applying for your "dream undergrad" school, just because you didn't want to risk not getting in for graduate school.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees? - August 14th 2013, 04:55 PM

Thanks! All of you have eased my mind a LOT.

Closed Thread