TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Rhyfelwr Offline
There's a war inside of me.
Not a n00b

Name: Svenja is one :)

Question Time management? - August 27th 2013, 03:12 PM

Hey guys!

So, I've just started a new year in what I guess would be considered High School (it's Secondary School over here) and today was the 5th day.

And let me tell you, I have no idea how I survived the first 4 days. I have so much homework, it's not even funny. At the moment I have homework due within these three days from Visual Art, Mathematics, Chemistry, Economics and Business, Geography, History, English, French, and a few more which I have forgotten. But yup, all due latest by Friday morning. Whoop-dee-doo.

So! My question is, does anybody have any suggestions for time management? I come home around quarter to 5, and to give my brain a break and not go exploding I eat something or drink something or watch something ridiculous for around 10 minutes, and then I start.

I'd appreciate any suggestions! Thank you!

~ Rhyfelwr

P.S. Oh, and talking with the teachers about talking to each other and rotating with homework or some idea similar, already tried that. Ended up with even more homework. But if you had that idea, then you're a genius, so thanks anyways!

"Whatever you are physically...male or female, strong or weak, ill or healthy - all those things matter less than what your heart contains. If you have the soul of a warrior, you are a warrior. All those other things, they are the glass that contains the lamp, but you are the light inside."
- Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Time management? - August 27th 2013, 05:13 PM

Hey there, it really sounds like you have A LOT to do, and if you aren't used to this workload it can get overwhelming. I also know that having the teachers talk to each other doesn't work. The teachers at my middle school claimed to do that for the purpose of not overloading us, and yet I had less homework in COLLEGE than I had while I was there.

Here are my top 5:

1. If you have study hall or a free period, get as much done at school as possible (I'd personally suggest the shortest assignments or the ones with the heaviest books so you don't have to carry them home).

2. Break down the big stuff into smaller manageable pieces and do some every night until it's due. When calculating the amount of work per night, make sure you're set to finish it the night before it's due and not the day of by mistake. Try your best not to leave the whole thing to the last minute (sometimes it can't be helped).

3. Start with what is due first, if you have a bunch of stuff due the next day, it's up to you whether you want to start with the harder stuff or the easy stuff. I would suggest starting with the hard stuff first so that when you get tired all you have is the easy stuff left.

4. Try setting up a reward system for yourself so that once you get done with something (or part of something, depending on the size of it), you can do or have something that you want.

5. It's also good to take breaks every so often or between assignments, but be careful not get distracted and end up taking a break longer than you intended; 15-20 minutes is a good limit. This may not work if doing so will have you up all night, in that case it's best to just power through so you can get to bed at a reasonable hour.

It'll take time to figure out how much work you'll really have for each class and what's going to take more or less time, but you'll get the hang of it eventually.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Rhyfelwr Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Time management? - August 27th 2013, 06:21 PM

Wow, thank you so much! You really helped. I really appreciate it. Thank you thank you thank you!

"Whatever you are physically...male or female, strong or weak, ill or healthy - all those things matter less than what your heart contains. If you have the soul of a warrior, you are a warrior. All those other things, they are the glass that contains the lamp, but you are the light inside."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Time management? - August 27th 2013, 08:41 PM

*bear in mind that this is going to be kind of long, but I will bold and italicize each new thing as I go*

OK!! So hopefully I can contribute to this. I have ADHD and organization and time management was a huge issue for me when I first started university, I'd get distracted and waste time or forget about things i had to do. I'd end up neglecting things I wasn't used to handling alone (like house cleaning) for a week or so if I got overloaded with work..... I got a lot of help from the LD people at my school in my first 2 years of university because i was seriously struggling. So with their advice I managed to develop a system. A lot of the stuff they recommended I don't even use, but the whole point is to adapt it to your own style. This allows me to keep up with all my school work, household responsibilities, my sports, my volunteering and my art. So some things I do are:

1. KEEP A BIG SCHEDULE!!
So one way to handle this is to make a table in word, make it Monday through Sunday, and add 1 extra column for the time (which goes on the left so 8 columns total). Then do 12:00 AM to 11:30 PM in 30 minute increments from top to bottom starting on the 2nd row (12:00-12:30-1:00-1:30...... 10:00-10:30-11:00-11:30...... etc. etc.). Save this and change it when your semester changes (ex. my semester follows in 4 month increments so I have 1 running for fall and one for winter). From here add in what time your classes are at, what time you play hockey at or when your music lessons are IF they happen week after week. The nice thing about this one is that it is printable and allows you to have a big thing to consult when making less-consistent plans (ex. appointments, due dates, meetings, tournaments etc.). The huge thing about a calendar is that my school doesn't run 8-3, I might have 1 class from 10-1230 Monday/Wednesday, another 7-10 PM Monday and a third on Tuesday/Thursday 1-230, so because it's sporadic I find this kind of calendar a good thing go have to look at.

Then if you have a calendar on your lap top or cell phone I'd also use that. This is useful because they're typically easier to navigate with terms to things that don't happen week after week. So, again, put in your classes, appointments and so on and so forth, this one is more dynamic and allows you to focus on things that might happen less consistently (ex. I go to language classes every other week and have my eye brows waxed every 3 weeks so I'd put this in here). Macs have really nice calendars if you aren't sure where to start, however having a mac is required for that, but it's just called iCal if you want to try to download it, otherwise just use what ever you have.

The next important thing to try would maybe to get a white board that you can put on your fridge. You can keep track of your schedule here and keep a list of assignments on it. If it's big enough do this for the whole family.

2. KEEP A TO DO LIST.

This is super helpful because then you can cross off things as you get them done. Keeping it on your cell phone can be helpful. "Notes lite" is the app I have with really nice features, its very similar to the app on the iPods, it allows me to change priority of tasks so I can put the things I have to get done soonest at the top of the list. Keeping it on paper is also ok but the main problem for is how easily a piece of paper gets lost, neglected or just plain sloppy (cause you'd always be scratching things off) but it's suitable if that's your only option

3. DOING EVERYTHING--homework time

Ok, so especially when you have a lot of work to do and haven't started working on it then it can be super hard to get started. The best thing to do tends to be to start with 20 to 30 minutes of studying and taking a break. You can always add things you want to do to your to do list, like ok, you want to do X, Y and Z, that way you can tick them off as you go. It also helps when you make lists of assignments and readings that you have to get done.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Rhyfelwr Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Time management? - August 29th 2013, 07:01 PM

Woah, I think I'm going to start tomorrow with that schedule idea since it's already late at night by me. But thanks, I'll definitely try that out! But thanks for all the other suggestions. Both of you are a real help, thanks!

Closed Thread