TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Mentoring someone to get into National Honor Society - August 28th 2013, 01:36 AM

So, my National Honor Society adviser's making me mentor someone on how to get into NHS.

I'm stuck on how to help.

He needs more community service and leadership.

Community service I'm going to tell him to call city hall because they'll probably tell him if/where he can help out. I'll tell him to call the humane society too. Anyone have any suggestions?

Leadership, I have no freaking clue. I got a "promotion" in my community service for leadership, and was secretary of a community service club in middle school. She describes leadership as being "in charge" of something, like being a manager at a job or a class president. I don't know what to suggest for him.

Does anyone have anything I could tell him in order to help get him into the National Honor Society? I'll feel horrible if he doesn't get in (though at least if he doesn't, I'll be graduated within two months of him feeling rejected and I'll never have to think of him again).

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Mentoring someone to get into National Honor Society - August 28th 2013, 11:13 PM

Well, he doesn't just have to call the city. It might help him if you ask him what his interests are, like maybe he likes animals (so yay for humane society) but maybe he'd also enjoy working with kids, so you could recommend to him that he volunteers for a youth organization like CPS or a place that does programming for kids of some kind. If he likes hockey he could volunteer to teach these kids to skate or if he likes music he could teach them music. If he has specific interests he can just google those places and call them directly.

If he wanted he could always take an interest (music, hockey, running etc.) and teach it to a group of kids. Organizing those logistics and then "acting it out" would show leadership and direction skills.

Sorry if that's totally useless for you but at least I've tried

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Chuuya Offline
I hate milk.
I can't get enough

Name: Lauren

Re: Mentoring someone to get into National Honor Society - August 29th 2013, 01:38 AM

I agree that maybe asking him what his interests are to see if there are any volunteer possibilities tie in with his interests. There are tons of places to volunteer. I definitely agree that you can suggest the Humane Society as well. You could also look into Nursing homes, tutoring younger kids in the district, volunteering with events for the younger kids, food pantries and things like that.

In my area they are always looking for High School students to volunteer to work with the Primary school kids because they worship older students. It really makes a huge impact with the children. He can work with their reading, math, spelling or help with extracurricular activities. If he likes music and plays he could look into helping with a school productions as well if your school has things like that.

It might also help to encourage him to join the clubs and organizations that your school has. Encourage him to get involved with things that he enjoys and maybe try to get a position in them such as President, Secretary, Treasurer and things like that.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

"You'll have to decide for yourself. Walk on your own. Move forward. You've got a strong pair of legs, Rose. You should get up and use them."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Mentoring someone to get into National Honor Society - August 29th 2013, 01:52 AM

Yeah, that's great for the community service part and I can suggest that for the leadership part. If he's not one for class office (I wasn't) I'm really not sure what to suggest for him being in charge of something though. For being "in charge." Unless the teaching them reading, etc, counts too? I worked with a teacher for part of mine and was in charge of the writing part of things.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Mentoring someone to get into National Honor Society - August 29th 2013, 02:20 AM

Well, typically you don't get leadership positions right away, you need to have some experience in the organization to understand their values better. BUT certain positions like treasurer of a club might not matter as much (vs. president where experience is more likely to matter) so that's why where he goes matters so much AND the time frame matters too. Like does he need to get onto this society by December or can he afford to wait until next September (and can you get him to understand that somethings take time, such as developing rapport in a club to get into the executive level positions?)??

But there are probably plenty of things he COULD do that would help right away in terms of leadership. Like leading a study group would be a "leadership" role, so there's another idea, maybe he could volunteer to be a tutor or organize a book club for younger kids (ex. maybe he talks to the library and offers to do a reading club every Tuesday for kids in kindergarten). All of that would be a good community service + leadership role AND would look good in an academic way because he'd be teaching others how to do academic stuff

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Mentoring someone to get into National Honor Society - August 29th 2013, 03:16 AM

The apps go out in April or May I believe. You gave me a lot of good suggestions, thanks.

Closed Thread