TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Gwena Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Move out as soon as possible? - September 1st 2013, 02:24 AM

My parents are not the nicest and being with them harms my mental/emotional health. I'm 15, I failed 9th grade the year before and I have no money. I'm planning to go to a technical college for culinary arts when I graduate high school or something similar. Should I get a job in the mean time or should I dedicate most of my time to studying? I'm not sure but I know that I definitely want to move out as fast as I possibly can. How though? Should I dedicate all my time to studying and try to graduate high school early so I can go to a college out of state? Or should I get a GED and dedicate all my time to working so I can move out as soon as possible? I don't really care about a career as much as I care about moving out as soon as possible and affording it although I do want to be good at something.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Robin

Re: Move out as soon as possible? - September 1st 2013, 03:25 AM

If you want to move out via college/university/technical school attendance out-of-state, then you'll need loans, grants, and/or scholarships. Not everyone qualifies for loans, not every program offers grants, and a lot of people compete for scholarships... so your best bet would be to talk to someone (ex. a high school guidance counselor or someone who works in your future program's financial aid department) and figure out what you would need to do in order to ensure you could get funding. Keep in mind that loans need to be paid back... so even though it will be great to get away from your parents, you'll have to deal with a new form of stress, one that would be long-term (possibly even lifelong, depending on how quickly you can pay off the loans).

I am of the opinion that, at your age, school should come before work. If you graduate with good grades, you will have a better shot of getting into college/university/technical school and receiving the funding mentioned above. You may face a period of time where you have no money (and possibly no home); however, that's where your other sources of social support come into play. If you have extended family members, friends, trusted adults, and so on, you can make a deal with them that will allow you to live with them for a short period of time (over the summer, before moving out-of-state). You can also look for temporary employment during that time, when working won't interfere with your ability to get good grades. Worst case scenario, there are government and non-profit agencies that assist people who are broke and homeless. It's not a pleasant scenario to think about, but if you prioritize work over school and get poor grades, you may not be able to get into college/university/technical school, which means you won't be able to live off loans/grants/scholarships, which means you'll be forced to get a job (probably at minimum wage, at a place you don't particularly like) and have to put off college/university/technical school until you can somehow improve upon your grades/test scores.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Gwena Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Move out as soon as possible? - September 1st 2013, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSY View Post
If you want to move out via college/university/technical school attendance out-of-state, then you'll need loans, grants, and/or scholarships. Not everyone qualifies for loans, not every program offers grants, and a lot of people compete for scholarships... so your best bet would be to talk to someone (ex. a high school guidance counselor or someone who works in your future program's financial aid department) and figure out what you would need to do in order to ensure you could get funding. Keep in mind that loans need to be paid back... so even though it will be great to get away from your parents, you'll have to deal with a new form of stress, one that would be long-term (possibly even lifelong, depending on how quickly you can pay off the loans).

I am of the opinion that, at your age, school should come before work. If you graduate with good grades, you will have a better shot of getting into college/university/technical school and receiving the funding mentioned above. You may face a period of time where you have no money (and possibly no home); however, that's where your other sources of social support come into play. If you have extended family members, friends, trusted adults, and so on, you can make a deal with them that will allow you to live with them for a short period of time (over the summer, before moving out-of-state). You can also look for temporary employment during that time, when working won't interfere with your ability to get good grades. Worst case scenario, there are government and non-profit agencies that assist people who are broke and homeless. It's not a pleasant scenario to think about, but if you prioritize work over school and get poor grades, you may not be able to get into college/university/technical school, which means you won't be able to live off loans/grants/scholarships, which means you'll be forced to get a job (probably at minimum wage, at a place you don't particularly like) and have to put off college/university/technical school until you can somehow improve upon your grades/test scores.
Thanks for the useful information! Yeah, I think it might be best to focus on school currently if I want a comfortable life in the future. I don't trust any of the adults I know but I could definitely live in a shelter for a while.

Closed Thread