TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

using iclickers in lecture - September 1st 2013, 01:01 PM

Hey everyone,
So it's my second year at university and surprise surprise we have to use these things called iclicker during lecture. We only have 100 students and last year I had 300 students without an iclicker and did well, but fine one day when I'm a professor I'll do things differently

So some background on iclickers, I never used it and I think it's for taking attendance and participating in class. We need iclicker 2 but if we already have iclicker 1 then that's good too. My sister has an iclicker, not sure if it's 1 or 2 but those things are expensive and I really don't want to buy another one, especially since it's not guaranteed I'll need it for every lecture.

My sister isn't in college right now (she got sidetracked with things but might go back to finish her bachelor degree though in spring semester) and I can ask her to borrow it. My problem is I have a feeling it's not transferrable. This is just a hunch, but those companies tend to enjoy making money on each student and transferring it will make them lose profit. Of course, they can be one of those companies that care about students and might make it that one student can borrow/buy it from another student. I doubt it....I remember last year I had to buy a CD that came with a special code unique to each student and I had a hard time with that because I bought mine online and ended up having to buy a second one from the campus's bookstore because the online ones don't have that special code that gives you online access and of course the professor had us take tests online using the code to get in -.-
Can someone tell me how it works regarding what I said above with this iclicker thing? I'm thinking of buying it used online because it's cheaper, but it might end up more expensive like last time with the CD
Thank you=)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: using iclickers in lecture - September 1st 2013, 02:12 PM

Ok so I got an iClicker during my 2nd year. I am now about to start my 5th year. The reason I need it is cause I am in a 1st year course as one of my electives and there are 250 people, maybe even 300 even in the course. You'll notice that they don't use it in courses where there is like 50 people or less which tends to be 3rd-4th year courses cause by the time you are a senior student they expect you to be able to contribute more then a "pick A, B or C" kind of response,at least that's how it has been for me in the humanities. I guess I could reasonably see a prof choosing to use the iClicker for in-class multi-choice tests. That's what my prof in 2nd year did a lot, but I thought that was unfair because it meant if you wanted to skip a question to think on it and come back to it later then your couldn't. Plus it was hard for people like me with learning disabilities and I can't help but wonder if the prof purposefully kept it under 30 minutes in order to make sure people like me couldn't go to the places I usually write tests (ex. quieter room with fewer people so I'm not distracted).... But that's not the point. I found that when I used the iClickers the profs still expected us to contribute verbal responses. You can get away with being silent in 1st year, but the longer you go to school the better it looks for you if you speak up. Most profs use it to do 3-5 quick "do you know what just happened in this class or this week or last week" kind of check ups to quiz you on what you know (you may or may not be graded for it)

Any how, so like I said I got mine about 3 years ago and when I asked if one that old was still useable I was told yes. Although, people have a tendency to be stupid and they could of been wrong. So I'd take your sisters iClicker and try it out, bring it to a prof or IT person and ask if need be, then get another if it is necessary, that way at least you've done all you can to save some money

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: using iclickers in lecture - September 2nd 2013, 08:01 PM

thank you for the reply! it was helpful, and I found out that my sister can't lend me it so I'm going to speak to my professor and ask if I could buy it used just to make sure.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: using iclickers in lecture - September 3rd 2013, 12:23 PM

If the campus bookstore is selling used ones they'd have already verified that those ones are useable, so I'd say that's totally fine

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread