TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ZaraWrites Offline
#6Years #LHOperator #Skittles

Junior TeenHelper

Name: Zara

Question Nervous - September 8th 2013, 06:58 PM

Okay. I have my first day at college tomorrow (and for people who have middle school/ high school - then junior year in high school) and i'm nervous. mainly because i'll probably be the only one without a uniform and kit (because my parents cannot afford it whatsoever, and when my dad gets money it's to pay bills) it's annoying. And I want to do really well as well this year. I'm doing hairdressing, and i want to know what i can do to work hard. And to not be nervous about going. coz i'm freaking out. And I also feel very embarrassed to say i can't afford uniform or kit. Please help on what to do about:

- Getting over nerves
- How to not feel embarrassed about saying my parents can't afford the kit/uniform
- How to work hard

I need it asap. thanks

Books Published:
~ Dreams Really Do Come True
~ Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones
~ Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones: Here We Go Again
~ Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones: What Doesn’t Kill You Makes You Stronger
~ Two Worlds Collide

Therapy, you were never a friend to me ~ Therapy ♥ AllTimeLow

SKITTLIFY!!!!!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Nervous - September 8th 2013, 08:13 PM

Hey Zara, for what it's worth, feeling nervous is perfectly normal. This sounds like it's something that you will really enjoy doing, that might help you not be nervous, once you get adjusted it should get easier. Also, I doubt you're the only one who is or will be nervous.

I'm sorry that you feel embarrassed about not being able to afford what you need. I don't see why you would need to tell anyone about that though (except maybe the teacher if these things are required). The school has probably dealt with this situation before and you may be able to work something out or borrow them. Your financial situation is no one else's business and if they find out and choose to make a big deal out of it, that reflects poorly on them, not you.

You will be more likely to work hard if you enjoy what you're doing and it sounds like you will. When it starts to get hard/boring, remember why you like it and why you need to know what you're learning.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
JustACityBoy Offline
Telemachus
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Carl

Re: Nervous - September 9th 2013, 04:01 AM

I feel the same way. I'm really mindfucked over it, I'm naturally assuming it's gonna be a mediocre-bad school year.
But what's important is that you handle the challenges. It might suck, but damn, if school sucks then I'll do fun stuff at home, away from school.

As for the uniform you should talk to your teacher about it. I personally dont take it as embarrassing, and there's no terrible scenario. I don't think they'll judge you for that.

As for working hard. If you really want it, (good college, perhaps more flexibility in choosing jobs), you should get it. Think about it, and think about the work you have to do. If you want it hard enough, you will get it.

What lies ahead is unknown. However, in some times, I've sighted several smooth pavements. I myself am the mender of roads, and it is with these we work on.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Mahray Offline
Skittles Minion

Regular TeenHelper

Re: Nervous - September 9th 2013, 12:16 PM

Hey Zaz, as people have been saying, nerves perfectly normal. In your case, would expect them especially around the uniform.

Your college will have seen this sort of situation before. When you get a chance, just find out who you can talk to about it, and ask for some advice. They probably have stuff you can borrow, or can arrange a payment plan, or something along those lines. Generally speaking, they'll be happy to help - but often you have to make the first steps.

As for working hard. I'm not sure how much will be practical and how much theory (hoping a lot of practical?). In theory bits - be paying attention. Go over your work, and check your own understanding. Ask questions of yourself - if you can't answer them, try learning it in a different way.

In any area, if you don't understand, the teacher is going too fast, you missed something - ASK!! Doesn't have to be in class, you can ask after class, email your teacher, anything like that. But if you don't let someone know you don't get it, you won't get the help you need.

As for nerves... Nice deep breathes. A lot of people will be starting at a new place as well. I know you will do brilliantly, because it's what you're passionate about!! That's the key, I think, enjoy what you're doing and you will do well.

Feel free to email/PM/VM/whatever me if you want. I'll answer as soon as I can.

New blog - http://www.trueartisangsty.com/
Trying to keep it updated more or less daily as I write.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
ZaraWrites Offline
#6Years #LHOperator #Skittles

Junior TeenHelper

Name: Zara

Re: Nervous - September 9th 2013, 12:43 PM

I get 3 days a week in college and I get 3 hours of practical the days i'm in. and don't worry. I'm in college now lol. I shall be fine with it. Feeling less nervous anyway

Books Published:
~ Dreams Really Do Come True
~ Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones
~ Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones: Here We Go Again
~ Sticks and Stones May Break My Bones: What Doesn’t Kill You Makes You Stronger
~ Two Worlds Collide

Therapy, you were never a friend to me ~ Therapy ♥ AllTimeLow

SKITTLIFY!!!!!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Mahray Offline
Skittles Minion

Regular TeenHelper

Re: Nervous - September 9th 2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥LoveCrush♥ View Post
I'm in college now lol. I shall be fine with it. Feeling less nervous anyway
That's great! Have fun

Feel free to email/PM/VM/whatever me if you want. I'll answer as soon as I can.

New blog - http://www.trueartisangsty.com/
Trying to keep it updated more or less daily as I write.

Closed Thread