TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
olive98 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: olive

Question how you dress in job interviews helps? - September 25th 2013, 01:18 PM

when you apply for jobs does it always help you get the job if you in wear less clothes/revealing dress (not rude but pretty) in interviews?? i have received all babysitting job that i'b tried for. will i also win other jobs this way? in movies i saw it work too. i guess only if you'r interviewed by a man hehe.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
coolkid98 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jenny

Re: how you dress in job interviews helps? - September 25th 2013, 03:31 PM

Its best to dress smartly for interviews as you want to make a good impression. Its mostly the first impression people remember so you want to remembered in a good way.
My advice would be if your going to wear a skirt or dress make sure its not revealing and that its a decent length. You should think about what job your applying for but still look tidy and professional.

I'm here if anyone wants to talk, I'm always here. Feel free to VM or PM me

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Katie Lydia Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Katie

Re: how you dress in job interviews helps? - September 25th 2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive98 View Post
when you apply for jobs does it always help you get the job if you in wear less clothes/revealing dress (not rude but pretty) in interviews?? i have received all babysitting job that i'b tried for. will i also win other jobs this way? in movies i saw it work too. i guess only if you'r interviewed by a man hehe.
Please don't be sexist, I have to ask if this a serious question? Your taking advice from movies?

Dressing provocatively or revealing can give bad first impressions and may cause people to make assumptions on you.

In an interview, find out what kind of interview it is, do your research if it is a company or store, do they do casual interviews so i'd dress in nice jeans and a top or is it a formal interview then it would be shirt/blouse and black skirt/trousers?

It's not about "winning" interviews, it's about selling your self, your skills, talents, experience and researching your company your wishing to work for.

Razors pain you
Rivers are damp
Acid stains you
Drugs cause cramp
Guns aren't lawful
Nooses give
Gas smells awful
You might as well live.

♥ Family ♥ Animals ♥ Cats

(#4 (permalink)) Old
olive98 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

September 25th 2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Lydia View Post

Please don't be sexist, I have to ask if this a serious question? Your taking advice from movies?

Dressing provocatively or revealing can give bad first impressions and may cause people to make assumptions on you.

In an interview, find out what kind of interview it is, do your research if it is a company or store, do they do casual interviews so i'd dress in nice jeans and a top or is it a formal interview then it would be shirt/blouse and black skirt/trousers?

It's not about "winning" interviews, it's about selling your self, your skills, talents, experience and researching your company your wishing to work for.
not advice but i mean i saw it happen a lot in movies so i know its possible especially from the true story with julia roberts called erin brochkevic. oh ok, i am applying for a job at a lingerie department so i hope i get it. but i already babysit for single dads and i wore miniskirts for those interviews and a lowcut top. i like black skirts so i can wear that no problem to the formal interview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkid98 View Post
Its best to dress smartly for interviews as you want to make a good impression. Its mostly the first impression people remember so you want to remembered in a good way.
My advice would be if your going to wear a skirt or dress make sure its not revealing and that its a decent length. You should think about what job your applying for but still look tidy and professional.
if its a man can i wear a mini skirt? some men like. i always go tidy

Last edited by PSY; September 30th 2013 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Merged consecutive posts.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: how you dress in job interviews helps? - September 25th 2013, 06:36 PM

It's best to dress smart for a job, first impressions are everything and although you've seen it in movies and it worked when you went for babysitting jobs, if you're applying for something more serious and you turn up in revealing clothes, it doesn't look very good on your part, regardless of where the job is, you need to look professional.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
olive98 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: how you dress in job interviews helps? - September 25th 2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeleton View Post
It's best to dress smart for a job, first impressions are everything and although you've seen it in movies and it worked when you went for babysitting jobs, if you're applying for something more serious and you turn up in revealing clothes, it doesn't look very good on your part, regardless of where the job is, you need to look professional.
oh ok i'll buy some new clothes i think.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: how you dress in job interviews helps? - September 25th 2013, 08:03 PM

You're going to want to wear modest clothing, not revealing clothes. Movies are just silly. I'd recommend dark/neutral colors. Don't have too much jewelry; I've even heard dangly earrings are often seen as "distracting" and not recommended for interviews.
Example:

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
olive98 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: how you dress in job interviews helps? - September 25th 2013, 08:30 PM

thanks Co! thats the perfect style i want it too , i never try long pants but those look great!

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: how you dress in job interviews helps? - September 26th 2013, 02:14 AM

Where do you live that you can get away with not wearing long pants! Gosh I'd freeze to death here if I tried pulling that off! Gosh, how I love the icey winters of Canada any how, yeah i totally agree. It's best to dress presentably. They DO tend to show things being sexier on tv... But that's tv, not real life and if you see jobs where they are trying to go in for lawyers, ceos etc. then the women usually get costumes/outfits that are attractive... but not provocative...

So if you want to be taken seriously trying to woo them by being sexy won't leave a good impression. It's best to look good, presentable, put together, respectable etc. but NOT having half your boobs showing or anything. In fact, I'd be super hesitant to show to much cleavage, scooped tops are ok but any cleavage is a risk if you ask me cause it can give people the wrong first impression. The dress code might not allow for it either: no need to dress like a nun but dress a little nicer and a little more conservative then you think might be called for if in doubt

Tracis idea is good!!

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: how you dress in job interviews helps? - September 26th 2013, 02:51 AM

I wouldn't base real life on movies.

I wouldn't wear revealing clothes to an interview because chances are you will be interviewed by a woman. 90% of my interviews have been with women from working in a grocery store to working in a hospital and several places in between.

I would recommend against wearing jeans to an interview. Either a skirt that is at least knee-length if not mid-calf length or black/khaki pants. The shirt should not be revealing.

Honestly, it would not impress me if a girl decided to wear low-cut tops and a miniskirt to an interview for babysitting. I'd refuse to hire her or tell her to put on some decent clothes. Have you actually babysat or are you making that up?

I personally just bought a skirt suit and a pants suit for interviews for nursing. In the past, a button down shirt and khaki pants worked fine. I'd also try to find some shoes that are not tennis shoes.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
olive98 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

September 26th 2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Wallflower~ View Post
Where do you live that you can get away with not wearing long pants! Gosh I'd freeze to death here if I tried pulling that off! Gosh, how I love the icey winters of Canada any how, yeah i totally agree. It's best to dress presentably. They DO tend to show things being sexier on tv... But that's tv, not real life and if you see jobs where they are trying to go in for lawyers, ceos etc. then the women usually get costumes/outfits that are attractive... but not provocative...

So if you want to be taken seriously trying to woo them by being sexy won't leave a good impression. It's best to look good, presentable, put together, respectable etc. but NOT having half your boobs showing or anything. In fact, I'd be super hesitant to show to much cleavage, scooped tops are ok but any cleavage is a risk if you ask me cause it can give people the wrong first impression. The dress code might not allow for it either: no need to dress like a nun but dress a little nicer and a little more conservative then you think might be called for if in doubt

Tracis idea is good!!
my boobs are my big deal for maybe winning a job cos my friend said the more my boobs show the more mature i am cos mine grew big (makes me womanly instead of girly). but i won't show down my top i promise. we just finished winter here (melbourne) but our school uniform is a skirt (in winter its a thicker skirt, in summer a light dress). but our winter is not snow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarasa View Post
I wouldn't base real life on movies.

I wouldn't wear revealing clothes to an interview because chances are you will be interviewed by a woman. 90% of my interviews have been with women from working in a grocery store to working in a hospital and several places in between.

I would recommend against wearing jeans to an interview. Either a skirt that is at least knee-length if not mid-calf length or black/khaki pants. The shirt should not be revealing.

Honestly, it would not impress me if a girl decided to wear low-cut tops and a miniskirt to an interview for babysitting. I'd refuse to hire her or tell her to put on some decent clothes. Have you actually babysat or are you making that up?

I personally just bought a skirt suit and a pants suit for interviews for nursing. In the past, a button down shirt and khaki pants worked fine. I'd also try to find some shoes that are not tennis shoes.
i babysit for 2 single dads. one i almost live there. i never have been to interviews except for those 2 babysitting jobs

Last edited by PSY; September 30th 2013 at 03:54 AM. Reason: Merged consecutive posts.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: how you dress in job interviews helps? - September 26th 2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Wallflower~ View Post

Tracis idea is good!!
I'm from the desert and I'd still always wear long-pants to an interview, since it's more covering. But I live in a place where shorts are appropriate at work, as long as they're long enough and usually made of khaki material or something. The difference longitude makes.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
olive98 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: how you dress in job interviews helps? - September 26th 2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coexist. View Post

I'm from the desert and I'd still always wear long-pants to an interview, since it's more covering. But I live in a place where shorts are appropriate at work, as long as they're long enough and usually made of khaki material or something. The difference longitude makes.
thats funny how you said longitude. longitude can mean the attitude to length or the mapping word hehe!

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Chin up, buttercup.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Emery

Re: how you dress in job interviews helps? - September 27th 2013, 12:23 AM

Hi there!

I LOVE FASHION. Especially for interviews!

If I had to give you one piece of advice, I'd say whatever you choose to wear, just BE YOU. Believe me, if you go into any interview not feeling like you look fantastic, then you more than likely won't get the job.

Dress casually, but not provocatively. You want to seem professional and put together. You want to look natural, relaxed, and most of all: CONFIDENT. Those who exude confidence book jobs.

Hope I helped, and good luck on your interview!

I love you to the moon and back.

Darling you are the only exception. ~Paramore ♡

(#15 (permalink)) Old
olive98 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: how you dress in job interviews helps? - September 27th 2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Only Exception View Post
Hi there!

I LOVE FASHION. Especially for interviews!

If I had to give you one piece of advice, I'd say whatever you choose to wear, just BE YOU. Believe me, if you go into any interview not feeling like you look fantastic, then you more than likely won't get the job.

Dress casually, but not provocatively. You want to seem professional and put together. You want to look natural, relaxed, and most of all: CONFIDENT. Those who exude confidence book jobs.

Hope I helped, and good luck on your interview!
thanks i will use your advice for all interviews in the future but i decided not to go for the interview after all! i was telling my boss about it and he gave me big raise cos he said he wants me on call cos he so busy! he is super rich anyway

(#16 (permalink)) Old
coolkid98 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jenny

Re: how you dress in job interviews helps? - September 28th 2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
thanks i will use your advice for all interviews in the future but i decided not to go for the interview after all! i was telling my boss about it and he gave me big raise cos he said he wants me on call cos he so busy! he is super rich anyway
Oh ok, that's good to hear Good luck for future interviews and hope your current job continues to go ok

I'm here if anyone wants to talk, I'm always here. Feel free to VM or PM me

(#17 (permalink)) Old
olive98 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: how you dress in job interviews helps? - September 28th 2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkid98 View Post
Oh ok, that's good to hear Good luck for future interviews and hope your current job continues to go ok
i love to babysit it feels like im married almost!

(#18 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: how you dress in job interviews helps? - September 30th 2013, 04:01 AM

Quote:

i love to babysit it feels like im married almost!
While it's typical for teenage girls to fantasize about marriage, I encourage you to maintain appropriate boundaries with your employers. The last thing you want is for either of these two single dads to get the impression that you're sexually available. Not only is it a horrible cliché (having sex with the underage babysitter), but it can lead to sooo many problems for you on personal and professional levels. Remember that babysitting is a job, and as such, there needs to be a sense of professionalism. Dressing provocatively may work in movies/TV shows, but remember that movies/TV shows are not representative of reality. In the real world, it may enable you to get a job, BUT it may also give people the wrong impression. So many women have to deal with sexual harassment... it would be a shame if something as simple as a wardrobe choice, combined with a general fantasy about marriage, led to a bad situation with one of these two single dads.

Anyway, as the other members have already said, it's best to think about what kind of job you're interviewing for. Find out how the employees dress for work. If they wear business casual, then dress in business casual attire. If the place is "trendy," then you may want to choose something that is stylish (but not provocative, even if it's for a lingerie store - after all, the cashiers don't walk around in their underwear!). Good luck with all your future job interviews! =)

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: how you dress in job interviews helps? - September 30th 2013, 08:24 PM

I do not recommend "being you" for interviews. Seriously. Be you through personality and not through clothes. If your clothes stand out too much that they can remember the clothes, then chances are the interviewer will be like "what the hell was she thinking" when you leave. You do not want that.

You really want to dress like you're going to a nice formal Catholic Church. Seriously. Look up business casual. An interview isn't really where you should be expressing yourself through clothes anyway.

I'd take it a step further than dressing how the people at the job work. I would take it a step higher. If people dress business casual, then dress formally like a suit jacket and matching pants. However, as a teenager I would not recommend it.

Also, like a hospital job, do not wear scrubs just because you'd be wearing scrubs.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
olive98 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

October 2nd 2013, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSY View Post

While it's typical for teenage girls to fantasize about marriage, I encourage you to maintain appropriate boundaries with your employers. The last thing you want is for either of these two single dads to get the impression that you're sexually available. Not only is it a horrible cliché (having sex with the underage babysitter), but it can lead to sooo many problems for you on personal and professional levels. Remember that babysitting is a job, and as such, there needs to be a sense of professionalism. Dressing provocatively may work in movies/TV shows, but remember that movies/TV shows are not representative of reality. In the real world, it may enable you to get a job, BUT it may also give people the wrong impression. So many women have to deal with sexual harassment... it would be a shame if something as simple as a wardrobe choice, combined with a general fantasy about marriage, led to a bad situation with one of these two single dads.

Anyway, as the other members have already said, it's best to think about what kind of job you're interviewing for. Find out how the employees dress for work. If they wear business casual, then dress in business casual attire. If the place is "trendy," then you may want to choose something that is stylish (but not provocative, even if it's for a lingerie store - after all, the cashiers don't walk around in their underwear!). Good luck with all your future job interviews! =)
thats why babysittings best cos my employer lets me wear my normal clothes
its ok we never sleep or shower together so its professional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarasa View Post
I do not recommend "being you" for interviews. Seriously. Be you through personality and not through clothes. If your clothes stand out too much that they can remember the clothes, then chances are the interviewer will be like "what the hell was she thinking" when you leave. You do not want that.

You really want to dress like you're going to a nice formal Catholic Church. Seriously. Look up business casual. An interview isn't really where you should be expressing yourself through clothes anyway.

I'd take it a step further than dressing how the people at the job work. I would take it a step higher. If people dress business casual, then dress formally like a suit jacket and matching pants. However, as a teenager I would not recommend it.

Also, like a hospital job, do not wear scrubs just because you'd be wearing scrubs.
i guess i like dressing more fun cos interview make me feel scared when i think of them. thats why i chickened out lol or because my babysitting boss gave me a raise anyway.

Last edited by PSY; October 2nd 2013 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Merged consecutive posts.

Closed Thread