TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ELEVATE
I've been here a while

Name: Hannah

Subjects . . . - October 9th 2013, 11:52 PM

I am going back to school next year, after being homeschooled this year! Woohoo Only problem is the horrid uniform . . . but that's not why I'm here.

I have a subject dilemma. And next year is my final year of school so we have to hand in subject choices now. I want to study Law when I am finished school.

Maths - Statistics or Art Photography.

I can't do both as I can only do 6 subjects and I already have History, Classics, Biology, English and Christian Studies. I suppose I could drop Christian Studies as it doesn't really apply to what I want to do with my life, but I really want to do it

Maths would be more useful than Photography, but I don't enjoy Maths. I do enjoy Photography. Although I would have to spend a lot of money on the right camera and equipment.

I have done neither Maths nor Photography this year. The Maths teacher said I would be able to pick up the Maths easy, based on my Maths results from last year. Photography doesn't have any previous requirements, although previously having done it would put me at an advantage. But it didn't say it was essential.

Any thoughts?

(Sorry for the long post )

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Subjects . . . - October 10th 2013, 12:18 AM

Hey Hannah, I'm not sure either of these applies very much to law, but you will probably have to write a lot. I had a psychology professor say that our school's psych students made good lawyers because they made us write so much.

Anyway, if you want to go with the most useful the math makes more sense. As someone who also HATES math I can say that statistics isn't the kind of math you're used to, for me it was A LOT easier, but there might be different kinds (mine was stats for the social sciences).

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
ELEVATE
I've been here a while

Re: Subjects . . . - October 10th 2013, 12:29 AM

Statistics is actually the kind of Maths I'm used to, we have to do it all through school as a requirement, now it's optional.

I am prepared to write a lot, that's what the History and Classics and English and Christian Studies are for.

I was thinking perhaps Photography as a break from all the writing I have to do (plus I can get 26 credits through Photography, only 20 through Stats), but still, I feel as though I should be doing Stats.

Thanks though

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Subjects . . . - October 10th 2013, 10:31 PM

Hey there,

I think that maybe it will be useful to do math if you think that it will be more logical in your line of work. If you ever are having any problems or struggles, be sure you speak to the teacher about it to get help. I know that you hate math, but in the end, if it's something you'll have to take eventually or if it will help you out with college or your future career, maybe you should take it. If you get help, though, it may make it at least easier on you, less stress!

Alternatively, does your school have a guidance counselor you can talk to? Maybe you can state your dilemma and see what he/she says. They may be able to give you recommendations of what class to take, or tell you what you can do in the future if you decide to take the photography choice. Or, they can give you a way to look at it to make a decision, such as a pros and cons list.

I bet you'll make the right choice in the end!

-Dez

(#5 (permalink)) Old
ShiiiT Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Subjects . . . - October 11th 2013, 03:34 AM

I would say it depends on a few factors:
1) How well do you think you can handle the workload of English, biology, classics, history and Christian studies?
2) Would you want to push yourself to tackling the challenge of a full plate?
3) Do any of the university law programs specify you need to have taken high-school math/stats courses? Keep in mind, different universities have different 1st year requirements, so I would take a look at all of them you're interested in applying to, plus any back-up ones.
4) Could you afford the equipment needed for photography?

Go through that list of questions and hopefully it will help you decide. Since you already did well in a previous stats course and photography has no requirements, there's no clear advantage as to which will be easier; photography is new but the stats may be harder than the previous course.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
ELEVATE
I've been here a while

Re: Subjects . . . - October 12th 2013, 04:29 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with Photography. I checked all the Universities that do Law here and none of them specifically say that Year 13 Maths is required, I just have to have passed Year 11 Maths (which I did rather well if I say so myself )

Closed Thread