TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Luke.J Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Luke

Mental Health Nurse - October 18th 2013, 02:22 PM

I'm not quite sure if this is in the right place, but it does relate to mental health so I hope so.

I have aspirations to become a Mental Health nurse and I wondered if anyone here had any suggestions or advice.
It is a quite recent career decision.

Thank-you

Joined 26/05/12

Associate Live Help Operator - 4/06/12

Associate helpLINK Mentor - 10/06/12

If you need anything please feel free to message me and I will do my best to help you

Luke

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: Mental Health Nurse - October 18th 2013, 06:37 PM

Hey Luke,

I am going to move this over to Education and Careers because I believe this thread would fit better there since you are asking about what steps to take in order to achieve a future career goal.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Re: Mental Health Nurse - October 18th 2013, 09:27 PM

Hey Luke,

I don't know an awful lot specifically about this, but I see you live in the UK. I'm presuming that you're in education still, which means you should be able to get advice about careers advice from Connexions (or Advizo, depending on the service), a service which should be available in your place of education. If you don't know where you can find it, look around noticeboards for posters, or e-mail the admin address of your place of education and ask.
You can get professional advice on career choices via this service.

Best of luck!

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
FairyPoppins Offline
Never give up.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Mental Health Nurse - October 19th 2013, 09:35 PM

To become a Mental Health Nurse you need to study for a degree in Mental Health Nursing. As you may already know, all university applications must be made via UCAS.

The course usually lasts for 3 years and is comprised of lectures as well as quite a lot of practical placements. As with most areas of healthcare, you may find some of the situations quite distressing, but you should have adequate support either within the hospital/clinic/centre and/or at university.

In the UK many healthcare degrees (including Mental Health Nursing) are funded by the NHS. You receive a bursary, which basically covers the 9000 a year tuition fees. You can also be eligible for other financial help, either from the NHS and/or Student Finance England.

I will shortly be applying to study Speech & Language Therapy which is also NHS-funded, so that's how I know this stuff.

My only advice is to do as much research as you can. Find out what the job entails, figure out whether you agree with the politics involved (such as people being sectioned against their own will and the use of medication - just two examples). Universities want to see in your application that you have a sound knowledge of the field. You also need to be able to link your current/recent studies and or experience to the course. For example, you could say how your current (hypothetical) A-Level course in Psychology has given you a good insight into the different mental health problems people can face and how they are treated. You could also write about your experience on this site and how you find mentoring others rewarding. Etc etc.

Note that whilst I mentioned A-Levels, they are not the only route into Mental Health Nursing. You can also complete an Access to Higher Education Diploma (A-Level equivalent) like me. There may be other options available too.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

"You, and only you alone,
Can build a bridge across the stream..."

TeenHelper since 07/07/2005.

Closed Thread