TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Silent_Speaker Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Cody

Dropping out? - November 19th 2013, 06:52 AM

So I`m almost halfway through my Senior year. I`m so close to being done but I`ve pretty much just completely checked out mentally. I`m done. I`m already super stressed because I`m taking a bunch of classes that look good for college/scholarship applications and I`m drowning in all that plus relationship and depression issues. 4 of my friends recently dropped out and are telling me I should just do the same. Should I? The plan for after graduation has always been peace corps, then college, then being a kickass teacher. Obviously if I drop out, all of that is gone, but I just can`t keep doing this.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Mahray Offline
Skittles Minion

Regular TeenHelper

Re: Dropping out? - November 19th 2013, 10:39 AM

Hey Cody, I'm sorry to hear that you're in this position. The good news is there is hope!

Firstly, have you spoken to your teachers? Explained that you're really struggling, and asked what you can do to get through the second half of the year?

Also, I'm sure that your school will have some support people in place. I'm thinking a counsellor of some sorts on staff? Talk to them as well, particularly if you are depressed.

There are going to be options that will work for you So please go and ask for help, which is the first and hardest step.

Feel free to email/PM/VM/whatever me if you want. I'll answer as soon as I can.

New blog - http://www.trueartisangsty.com/
Trying to keep it updated more or less daily as I write.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: Dropping out? - November 19th 2013, 02:22 PM

Hey Cody!

I know classes in high school can be difficult particularly if they are IB, AP or college level classes or above the average level classes however, I know that you can make it through the rest of the year.
Dropping out at this point would not be helpful to you: it is an "easy way out" of a difficult yet solveable situation.
I suggest talking to the staff at your school: schedule times to meet with teachers for extra help, ask your classmates for help on assignments, talk to your school counselor because although a lot of students go to them mainly for academic purposes, they can be helpful for a lot of other issues too. Keep reminding yourself that things can improve drastically if you reach out to those around you. No one wants to see you drop out because you are struggling right now.
You have goals for the future that are rather amazing and I hope you can accomplish those goals. Do not give up on school. Half a year seems a long time away and it may continue to feel like that but really once you graduate, you will feel a lot better at that point than if you were to drop out now.
I hope this is helpful and that things go well for you.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Dropping out? - November 19th 2013, 07:03 PM

Hey Cody, I completely understand the desire to drop out, just to get it over with and be done with it, but you are SO CLOSE to being done and having your diploma it will be much better in the future to stick it out. You have a break coming up (unless you go year round?), which will help. Checking out mentally is actually so common they've made up a name for it. Hang in there, you can do this.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Dropping out? - November 19th 2013, 08:18 PM

I advise against dropping out. Some colleges and universities look down on a GED even though the courses are harder in many cases. What would you do if you dropped out? Do you have a job? Can you support yourself? If you can drop out, you better be able to support yourself.

Closed Thread