TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
craz33me Offline
because...cats.
I've been here a while

Name: Ciara(:

I need a job! - November 24th 2013, 11:50 PM

I'm stressing because I need a job. It's the holidays and I have absolutely no money. I applied at Hibbet's and haven't heard anything back, so I'm looking for something else in case it doesn't work. What do you guys think?
No food joints.. please.

A beautiful thing is never perfect.

Send a message via Skype™ to craz33me 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: I need a job! - November 25th 2013, 02:02 AM

When did you apply to Hibbet's, how many times have you followed up, and in what ways have you followed up? Your application may be one of dozens... so if you want to receive a call for an interview, you'll need to avoid being passive and "step it up." Give the store a call and ask for the manager. If the manager isn't available, ask when the manager will be back so you can speak directly with them over the phone (better yet, show up in person with a copy of your resume or application - giving them a face to connect with your name will make you stand out from the crowd of applicants).

You can apply this principle to any entry-level job. Take the initiative and call the manager or meet with them in person BEFORE submitting your application. Once you have submitted your application, be sure to follow up a few days later (I usually aim for three days later). Don't settle for voicemail or a note - have an actual conversation with the manager!

Good luck. =)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
CorrieUSMC Offline
Ghost Rider
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Corrie

Re: I need a job! - November 25th 2013, 05:25 AM

Seasonal time is upon us, lots of stores have already hired their seasonal staff, but many still hire. (Check with your local wal-mart, I know Wal-mart usually hires temps for black friday to work.) Try to look for any employment agency in the area, or go to the OK Dept of Labor website and see if they have job listings, make a list of places you apply to and call.

worst case -- apply to those food joints, it may be a 'food joint' but at the end of the pay week, money is still money.

Or best case, contact your local military recruiter.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: I need a job! - November 25th 2013, 04:09 PM

I'm looking for a job and the first thing I did was print off loads of CVs/resumes (I think that's what you call them?) and handed them out to different shops, even if they weren't taking any staff on, I asked if they could keep it in case anything came up in the future and as a result, I had two of them ring me a month or so later when jobs opened up so it could be worth giving that a try. I don't know if you have them either but checking out job sites daily or visiting places that post up jobs is also a good idea.

As well as that, I wouldn't rule out food joints. Although it isn't the ideal job, it's a job that you can have while you find yourself another one that you would preferand it's experience as well which could help you get a better job.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
craz33me Offline
because...cats.
I've been here a while

Name: Ciara(:

Re: I need a job! - November 25th 2013, 06:08 PM

Well, I've only ruled out food joints because I have some severe food allergies.
For instance, anything made out of pork, I can't even touch it without getting hives.

A beautiful thing is never perfect.

Send a message via Skype™ to craz33me 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: I need a job! - November 25th 2013, 10:37 PM

A lot of places hired their seasonal workers already. You may be able to get lucky though so continue applying. For retail, usually the big hiring times seems to be in August/September, February, and around April or May. They do sometimes hire throughout the year.

Also, I wouldn't be picky with jobs. There are a lot of people who are unemployed or underemployed. Many of them will take anything at this point. If you can get a job anywhere even a food joint, take it. Unless you have impressive skills or specialized training, then it is not worth turning down anything.

I'd aim to apply to about 25 jobs a week if not more. I'd recommend keeping a spreadsheet of company, location, job title, and when you applied. That way you will be able to help keep track of the positions you've applied for.

Also, consider applying for temp agencies too.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: I need a job! - November 25th 2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz33me View Post
Well, I've only ruled out food joints because I have some severe food allergies.
For instance, anything made out of pork, I can't even touch it without getting hives.
I can see why you would be concerned about food allergies, especially if they're severe; however, in most food joints, you have to wear gloves, hair nets, etc. in order to avoid contaminating the food for customers. I imagine you'd be okay with the proper protection, so you might not want to rule out food joints just yet. Depending on where you work and what you do, you may not even handle food (for example, you could be a hostess or waitress).

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: I need a job! - November 25th 2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz33me View Post
I can understand that as a reason to rule out food joints but you could possibly inform them and wear something protective or even apply for a role where you don't actually have to handle the food, maybe as a cashier or a waitresses.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
JustACityBoy Offline
Telemachus
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Carl

Re: I need a job! - November 26th 2013, 02:46 AM

I would kill for a job and be an assassin for $100 bucks..
I've applied to Target.com , and 2 listings on Craigslist.org but I haven't gotten a response besides from Target, which was a rejection.
I don't think Craigslist NY job posters will ever respond, nor will other busy companies.
Be sure to put your name in the job resume file to separate it from the others.

Getting a job with a no-experience resume is walking in the battlefield unarmed.
I'm personally going to just give a life example of my "work experiences" next time.

What lies ahead is unknown. However, in some times, I've sighted several smooth pavements. I myself am the mender of roads, and it is with these we work on.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: I need a job! - November 26th 2013, 06:29 AM

I'd avoid Craigslist. There is a high number of scammers on there. I'd only apply to a job that lists a location to fill out an application in person. Even websites can be iffy.

Closed Thread