TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BlueWolf Offline
A lost wolf
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Jessica

Final Exams! - December 6th 2013, 01:53 PM

Im attending a university and finals have arrived. Yet, studying does not come easily. No matter how many times I read the material I cannot remember what I just read. I am not normally this bad about it. I try a little at a time and giving myself small rewards after a certain amount of time or if I can remember something, but even that no longer has any affect. No matter how much I sleep I am so tired and restless that concentrating does not seem to be an option. I have tried excersising but that only goes so far. I drink lots of water too. Everything I have heard of thus far. So.... how do you guys study or suggest that I try next? What methods work when you study for a test or exam and feel the same way?

Self-harm free since 10.1.2013
"You have not failed if you learned something from it."
"Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain"
"Weak heart, Dying soul, Falling apart, Make me whole, These broken blues, Peirce your being, Hide the truth, You won't be seeing."
"Deeper, Deeper, Deeper inside me I live a life that seems to be a lost reality."
"Big Brother is watching."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Konohana Sakuya Offline
The 4 arrows stomper
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Karen

Re: Final Exams! - December 6th 2013, 02:46 PM

Good day to you!

Are you facing your final exams? We're on the same boat now! I wish you the best for your studying and your test.

Ah, yes. I can understand how difficult concentrating while studying is. Sometimes, the sloth inside us wins over us. Before you start memorising, try closing your eyes. Then, imagine something you see as calming and peaceful in your mind. Take a deep breath and let it out slowly. Do this for several times until you feel enough.

Listening to soft music, especially classical, or any of your favourite music while studying is worth trying. Music helps to ease your mind and sharpen your focus. However, don't get carried away to the point you sing along with the song when the subject you are learning needs memorization. But singing while doing calculations exercise for review is okay ^^

I hope you find this helpful!

Love,
Pearl

Articles Team Member // Buddy (20/01/2014 - 30/08/2014) // Associate HLM // Article Editor

Send a message via Skype™ to Konohana Sakuya 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Pirouette Offline
Just a girl strolling by
I've been here a while

Name: Rishy

Re: Final Exams! - December 6th 2013, 04:10 PM

I really like KW's idea and think that's a great way to study!! Finals are stressful to study for, but you don't need to read the textbook to study(atleast that's what I think). I would recommend going through the course notes; look at the syllabus for the content covered in each course and make sure you understand it and can explain it. Going through old notes, quizzes, and tests are also important to do when studying for finals because sometimes there could be questions from there or similar to that. I would also recommend making flashcards of important vocabulary words(if there are any) or of important concepts. Hope this helps and good luck on your finals!

[left]

"Imperfection is beauty;
madness is genius;
and its better to be absolutely ridiculous
than absolutely boring."

-Marilyn Monroe

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Final Exams! - December 7th 2013, 08:03 AM

Depending on the subject matter, consider outlining and bullet points for the important information. There is little point to remember entire chunks of paragraphs.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: Final Exams! - December 8th 2013, 05:56 PM

I find playing classical music to be helpful. Particularly when I'm reading my textbook or writing papers. When I'm doing tasks such as calculating or creating a program, I find the music distracts me so silence is better.
Also taking breaks every so often helps as well. If you focus on an assignment for a very long time, that can make you exhausted because of all the energy that requires however if you take time to relax (play a fun game you enjoy, walk around your dorm/library/where ever you are studying or time to talk to friends) you will find the time seems to go by quicker and that you are not as exhausted at the end of the day or during your times of studying.
What you are doing sounds great so far.
You can also try color coding information as a way to remember it or using bullet points. Creating flash cards is helpful for a lot of people and with Quizlet: an online flash card building site, you can actually create quizzes with the cards you create. These quizzes can be all one type of question or a combination of four different types: multiple choice, short answer, fill in the blank and matching. You can uncheck the boxes for each type that is not going to be on the quiz your professor assigns. I find Quizlet to be helpful because it allows me to make my own test like my professor will have the test. It mixes up all of the cards for you so that then you can see what the test could look like.
The only questions it does not create are essay questions.
I hope that this is helpful, that studying goes well and that you do well on your finals.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Counted Heart. Offline
Sweeter philosophy.
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Charlie

Re: Final Exams! - December 10th 2013, 12:00 AM

I've found that the more interactively I study, the more I remember. Sometimes I make up songs, rhymes, or mnemonics to help me remember key facts. I also make models using stationery items - it sounds silly, but it works. For example, when I was studying planet formation I used binder rings of different sizes/colours and mapped it out step by step.

It's also helpful for me to repeat things out loud, so I think everyone else on my floor thinks I'm insane because when it comes to exam time I'm often pacing up and down my room muttering about DNA and reciprocal altruism. If I'm at home I tell my pets all about what I'm studying; I'm sure they're very interested, and at the very least they're good listeners!

My friend and I have a habit of sharing interesting facts, kind of like a fact of the day thing, which helps me stay tuned in and pay attention. If you can do any quizzes or past papers or anything, I would highly recommend it; some courses might have quizzes online that you can do, or you can always have your friends/family members ask you questions about your material. Active learning is usually more effective than just reading textbooks and listening to lectures.

Like the others have said, listening to music can help, but usually not if it's something you're familiar with (because then the temptation to sing along can be distracting). So maybe listen to new songs, something without lyrics, or something with lyrics in a language you don't speak. There are also numerous programs online which provide ambient background noise, ranging from rain to a quiet cafe to the ocean; you could look into those if working in silence doesn't feel good for you.

My final bit of advice is to find a study method that suits you. It might be mindmaps, lists, bullet points, or anything else, but as long as it helps you summarise the main points and key concepts, it's good. And remember to break your studying into short intervals, rather than trying to cram it all in the day before. It's easier to absorb information in short bursts than in giant chunks.

I hope this helped, and good luck with your exams!

let no science fix our path
if only numbers make its math.
🎕

Closed Thread