TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ClockWorkHearts Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Ko

Unhappy Should I keep trying? - December 22nd 2013, 12:30 AM

So just last Friday was my first day at my new (and very first) job, and already I feel like quitting . All and all it wasn't really a bad experience, the location is nice and all of the people I worked with where kind to me, but the whole time I was there I just felt so stressed. There where times while I was there that I just felt so overwhelmed I was on the verge of tears, and though I managed not to have a break down in the middle of the store (thank god!) I started bawling the minute I was in my room. Technically I don't need this job, right now I'm only just an intern. I realize that I will have to learn to handle these situations eventually in order to some day support myself, I'm just so stressed thinking about having to go back! What should I do?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Should I keep trying? - December 22nd 2013, 01:00 AM

Give it another month or two. I remember my first job, and it was really stressful for me as well. Every job (and internship) has a learning curve, and fortunately, you can expect to adjust after a while. Don't be afraid to ask questions if you don't understand how to do something - remember, your boss was a new employee at one point, too! =)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Re: Should I keep trying? - December 22nd 2013, 07:44 PM

It'll get better. It's probably just making you feel stressed because it's your first job and you're new to it all. Stick it out for atleast a few more shifts. When you get to know how it all works and meet all the people, I'm sure you'll feel a lot better.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: Should I keep trying? - December 22nd 2013, 10:02 PM

Give it some time, Ko. Like Robin said, every job or internship has a learning curve. Right now, you're in a position where you have to learn everything about the position and what is expected of you. Since this is your first job, it's normal that it's even more overwhelming for you. If I were in your position, I would wait at least another month and see if you can get a handle on the work expected of you. By then, you'll have a better idea as to whether or not this is the internship for you.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Chuuya Offline
I hate milk.
I can't get enough

Name: Lauren

Re: Should I keep trying? - December 23rd 2013, 02:34 PM

I agree with what everyone else has said. I'd give it some more time before you decide to quit. It might be scary, but give it another chance. Once you get use to it, it might become a little easier for you.

I hope everything works out!

"You'll have to decide for yourself. Walk on your own. Move forward. You've got a strong pair of legs, Rose. You should get up and use them."

(#6 (permalink)) Old
DanTheMan :P Offline
Average Joe

Name: Dan

Re: Should I keep trying? - December 24th 2013, 12:20 AM

I'd say keep going. In the first job I ever had, any time I was corrected on even the smallest things, I felt so humiliated and self - conscious. But you stick around for a while and learn the ropes, and I ended up loving it

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Chin up, buttercup.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Emery

Re: Should I keep trying? - December 24th 2013, 03:43 AM

Hi there,

I'd say you should keep at it. I remember my first job; I was absolutely horrified! I was afraid I wold do something wrong or mess up, and ultimately, I think I was most afraid of looking stupid. What you need to keep in mind is that you haven't been doing this long, and its the first time you've worked. Not everyone starts out being a pro, it takes time. If you ever need any help, ask questions. To make yourself more comfortable, try talking to and becoming friends with a few employees. They were in your position once, and might be able to give you some insight as well!

I hope everything works out well for you.
Best of luck! <3

I love you to the moon and back.

Darling you are the only exception. ~Paramore ♡

Closed Thread