TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

UK University advice. - January 13th 2014, 06:34 PM

I don't usually post for help threads so this feels a little alien.

This might be a little long because I think the back story might be relevant. I've been studying Japanese part time for almost two years now, and I love it. I've been thinking a lot about eventually going to Japan to teach English. I've found out that a lot of companies in Japan expect you to have a degree and that's where my problem begins. I don't have one, and I don't have any A Levels to get into University, either.

I've heard that you don't necessarily need A Levels to get into university, though. I'm looking into doing a Business and Japanese degree so I'm hoping that my past studying of the Japanese language will help me with that. I don't have so much experience written down with Business, but I know bits and bobs from my mothers working life.

So, basically I'm asking if anyone knows my chances of being able to do this course with the experience I have, and lack of A levels. I've emailed the University to see who I should speak to about this as well. So hopefully I'll hear back about that this week. I guess I just want to know if I have a good chance before I get my hopes up about this. It would be so good for me to have a full-time thing to do (since my working life so far has been shoddy) and the Japanese studying is ideal.

I'll stop now because I think I could talk forever. Any advice would be fabulous! Thanks guuuuys.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: UK University advice. - January 13th 2014, 06:49 PM

Depending on what language courses you've been doing some of them might count towards getting UCAs points which are essentially what you need for university.

Have you done any other sort of courses? NVQs, BTECs etc.? They can also add up your UCAs points.

If you still don't have enough points to do the specific degree you want some universities offer a foundation degree to allow you to do the necessary work to get into university. These foundation degrees usually last a year and if you pass the course you go straight onto doing your degree. In some cases if you do especially well in the foundation course you may be allowed direct entry into the second year of a degree program.

Do you have a careers advice service anywhere nearby? Sometimes local libraries have them. They might be able to help you further and give you other options.

I hope this helped, take care and good luck

(#3 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Re: UK University advice. - January 13th 2014, 10:10 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'm hoping the email I sent will help me find the right person to talk to. The night classes I do for Japanese do get me some points, but I don't think they will be enough to get me on for a degree course. I haven't been too lucky with education in the past so the most I have a a few C grade GCSE's which don't count for much. The course I'm after is already a 4 year one so to do a foundation course before hand will be a bit disappointing in terms of length of study. I'm hoping that a credited business night course up until September will help towards the points and to prove the motivation and such.

I'm sure there is a careers advice service around. I'll just need to make an appointment. It's been a hard choice to decide on whether to pursue more studying so I'll be gutted if I miss this chance.

Thanks for replying!

Closed Thread